Simulation Hockey League
S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub (/showthread.php?tid=111048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Tomen - 10-24-2020

PT Pass

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - FinnRhys - 10-24-2020

PBE Welfare Claim

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - GCool - 10-24-2020

I've said this for seasons, and I rarely get anyone to really engage me on the topic. I think some people just think I'm joking, while others probably think there's no real argument to be made. Here it goes again: I truly believe Danny "Bananas" Foster should be in the SHL Hall of Fame.

There's nobody else in the league's history that went through the true Enforcer build and tried to challenge Turd Ferguson and Kaspars Tsizling with regard to their PIM numbers. Is it a ridiculous dream to have? Sure. But with Petrovs coming up through the ranks, as they're about to rack up Turd Fergusons, why is it that the head office isn't renaming that to the Bananas Foster? Danny has SEVEN of them, some in each conference. Top 30 all-time in hits. Definitely up there in PIM (it'd certainly be higher if not for the somewhat short career - you earn a lot of miles on your face playing the way he did). A winning record in STHS fights (20-11-27). He's the best pure goon that's EVER played in this league. I wish the HO would actually look within themselves and ask why this guy doesn't at least have an award named after him yet.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JuOSu - 10-24-2020

PBE PT

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Cobbenstein - 10-24-2020

The discussion surrounding snubs from the Hall of Fame is always hotly debated and largely opinion based. There are many players that have had spectacular careers that have come up just short of achieving the ultimate goal of making the Hall of Fame. I think the most deserving player that has yet to make it to the threshold of the Hall of Fame is Alex Light. Light played a total of 18 season and was very productive throughout. He is 22nd in goals with 331 and 32nd in points with 726. Light won 3 Challenge Cups all while playing with West Kendall. Despite these fantastic numbers he was been continually overlooked on Hall of Fame ballots for some reason. Some cite his lack of individual awards, but how much clout can those awards truly have on an overall career? Just because he was never the top goal scorer or a stand out, he was always near the top and consistently excellent season after season. Making it into the Hall of Fame shouldn't be dependant on the number of league leading seasons, but on the quality of the career overall and its tough to find a player more deserving than Alex Light.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - honkerrs - 10-24-2020

Honestly it is a complete crime and a sham that Beaujeaux Biscuit is not in the Hall of Fame yesterday. I had no idea how many goalies were already in the Hall of Fame until looking at the sheet and the fact that the goalie with the 3rd most wins all time isn’t in already is absurd. On top of that he has 3 challenge cups, 5 consecutive IIHF gold medals, 1 IIHF silver medal and 2 IIHF bronze medals. So he is a proven winner when it counts. Additionally he has 2 Razov award wins and multiple McBride nominations. You can maybe argue he never had many seasons where he was the best goalie in the league but being consistently top tier of goalies for 17 seasons with a proven record of being able to win in the playoffs should easily make Beaujeaux a lock this coming season. I’ll go on record that if he’s not in the entire HOF committee should be fired to be honest.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JumpierPegasus - 10-24-2020

I believe we started putting builders into the Hall of Fame far too quickly. I also feel like ultimately it's hard to put builders in the Hall of Fame in a league such as this due to a lack of accountability held on GM's due to the lack of ownership and agency over teams. The only people who have the power to fire someone is head office and it is only after a breach of the rules, not for poor GM'ing. This is why I feel GM's like Wasty do not belong in the Hall of Fame despite longetivity, but that's not what I am getting into today. I am getting into the first two GM's inducted into the Hall of Fame. Joe McKeil and Tyler Brace.

Tyler Brace was a good GM. Don't get me wrong. He was an expansion GM for a team called the Texas Crew originally, changed to the Texas Renegades. He used his connections within an organization in the SHL called "The Crew" to recruit some of the top players in the league to join his team. He only GM'd for roughly 5 seasons and was able to procure a Challenge Cup. Pretty good, but back in the early days of the SHL it wasn't difficult to make a great team right out of expansion. Hell, LA and Minnesota both made the finals the year AFTER they were expansion teams. So why was Tyler impressive or exceptional? Spoiler, he wasn't, and really the only thing he had going was he was good in FA, but again, as someone in Crew it was only because of the blatant tampering going on at the time.

Joe McKeil is another case. He took over in Hamilton and GM'd for roughly 7 seasons, bringing home a single Challenge Cup. I love McKeil, he was one of the my favourite players I've ever drafted in the SMJHL, but his GM tenure isn't overly impressive. It's weird to have him in the Hall next to incredibly successful GM's like Leafs and Tez.

Both of these GM's were early entries, so it's understandable, but it does feel like it drags down the quality of the builder hall in the HOF

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Steelhead77 - 10-24-2020

Looking at the players currently on the ballot who have yet to make it in, I think Alex Light deserves a nod here. He was a high end player for a long time and one of the keys to West Kendall's 3 championships, always helping them be a top team for the majority of his career. With 18 seasons on the books and 900 games played, he finished with 726 points which is good for around .8 points per game and he sits 23rd all-time in goals with 331. I don't know if he ever was nominated or won any awards off hand but shouldn't matter too much if he didn't. He's a good guy who made a great player, was well respected, put up a ton of points and helped WKP win a lot of games including 3 championships. He also stayed with one team his entire career and became a legend for that franchise. That kind of stuff counts for something in my book. Would like to see him get into the HOF and wish him luck.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - thevoicelesscreator - 10-24-2020

ISFL Welfare

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - CanadianDuck - 10-24-2020

The Hall of Fame is an honor everyone would be thrilled to be entered into. Every Hall of Fame has notable omissions and people who many will argue don't deserve to be included. The SHL is no exception to this rule. Today I will bring up 3 players who I believe should be in the Hall, but sadly are not. First is Bobby Watson. Bobby had a strong career where he posted 600 points in 751 games, 291 of which were goals. Tommy Creller is next up. Creller played 758 games where he amassed 235 goals and 595 points. The last player I want to include in this is Raven Silverwing, who achieved 541 points in 650 career games. There are many more I could have included, but I wanted to highlight these 3 in particular. I would never argue against any player in the Hall who probably shouldn't since everyone has a few reason why they should be included.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Huck24 - 10-24-2020

ISFL affiliation

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Hallsy - 10-24-2020

I think Ronnie Westbrook deserves a spot in the hockey hall of fame. I know he wasn't a superstar and didn't lead the league in scoring a bunch of times. He was a good player for the Hamilton Steelhawks. He was the ultimate team player for them and he was a big building block in turning the Steelhawks into the franchise that they are known as today. They are one of the best teams in the league. I think he deserves to be in the simulation hall of fame because of what he has meant to the Hamilton Steelhawks. I think his off the ice impact was one of the biggest in the league. He created an culture in Hamilton and he created something special. I think he deserves to be recognized as one of the all time greats. It sucks that he wasn't able to win a cup

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - BrewskyBoy - 10-24-2020

This might not be the most mind blowing answer and the only reason I believe he isn't in the HoF already is because he only recently retired and isn't actually eligible yet, but I think Joe Kurczewski should be a lock for the SHL Hall of Fame. One of the highest tallying point scorers in league history in an extensive and grueling 24 season career, Joe has certainly set the bar high. He went to New Orleans as the GM when they first came into the league, and as such has notched himself in the history books as the Specters leading point scorer. While he ended his career with one final season in San Francisco, Joe was at least able to cap off his final season in the New Orleans purple by raising the cup and really put a final stamp on his resume to make the hall of fame. I have no doubt that he'll wind up as a first ballot hall of famer.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - suavemente - 10-24-2020

[Image: C410aC7.png]

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - bigbluex02 - 10-24-2020

PBE AFFLIATE