Simulation Hockey League
S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub (/showthread.php?tid=111048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Wally - 10-25-2020

Have to go straight to Mikke Laukkanen, goaltender for the New England Wolfpack back in the S30s. The only goalie with over 300 wins to not grace the Hall of Fame, with the exception of Biscuit who just recently entered Hall of Fame eligibility. It is very surprising to me how Mikke didn't make it in. While two of the three cups were as backup, he still was able to win a championship of his own in S33.

When it comes to his stat line, it is very comparable to all goalies that have made it in:

Wins: 219
Shutouts: 37
Save Percentage: .904
GAA: 2.68

Obviously the difficult circumstance is that only so many can be elected every season and I think this is where Laukkanen fell victim. Unfortunate really, as he really played an integral role in the teams overall success in general. Not winning championship after championship or award after award weighs heavily on a Hall of Fame resume, whereas consistency does not it seems.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - shutdown - 10-25-2020

pbe pt

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JNH - 10-25-2020

I think once you go into the stats, one of the names that immediately jump out at you is Chester Cunningham. I might be slightly biased as his former GM, but you have to acknowledge the impact he made on the SHL and the Toronto North Stars franchise. He has the highest points out of players not put into the HOF. He had an illustrious career and was a loyal player for the North Stars. I know he's a quieter guy, but when you look at what he accomplished on the ice you have to respect him and look at putting him into the Hall of Fame. Yeah @Count Chocula is a bit of a dick. Yeah he kind of sucks. But you gotta put that aside and look at the merits of his work. You look at other key players from that North Stars era like Eriksson and Harter and it's time Cunningham gets his due respect.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - DELIRIVM - 10-25-2020

The S31 Class produced some of the best players in the history of the league. We see players such as Jason Visser, Joe K, Alexis Metzler, Ludwig Koch Schroder, Zach Evans, and Timo Haas. But among those big names from the Season 31 class there is one missing - Alex Light. Of all the remaining players of the S31 class, there is no name that stands out as being missed from the Hall of Fame more than Light. During his career he played 900 games for the West Kendall Platoon (now Baltimore Platoon) and amassed over 700 points, more than 1000 hits, and was on the ice for nearly two weeks of his entire life for this team. Light has missed multiple times now due to the strength of some of the newly eligible members of the site. But I believe he deserves to be in for the importance he played in the SHL, for the sheer amount of time and points he put up for the Platoon, and to further immortalize the strength of the S31 Draft Class. 

Alex Light deserves to be in the SHL Hall of Fame. Hopefully we make that a reality sooner than later.

[198 Words]

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Muerto - 10-25-2020

It's not necessarily a snub yet but if Mike Izzy is not a first ballot unanimous Hall of Fame player that would be a huge scandal! Izzy was not drafted by the Calgary Dragons, but he became the face of that franchise for literally his entire lengthy career. Few players in the league have that automatic association with the team they were with - you can't think of Mike Izzy without thinking of Mike Izzy the Dragon.

On the ice, not only was he a phenomenal player, but he was a unique player. So many players come through wanting to be flashy and skilled, but Izzy took a different route and when for pure grit and toughness to establish himself. The all-time SHL leaders in hits, this was not by accident, but by design, as he was a pure power forward in the style of a Jerome Iginla. Strong, powerful, mean, and nasty - the type of player nobody really wants to be up against. But he also had really good skills with the puck, and was very consistent in putting up respectable point totals throughout his career. As well, he was a vital part in helping secure multiple Challenge Cups for the Dragons, he was never just a passenger on those championship teams, but a major part of them.

But beyond what he did on the ice, Izzy really established the "Fame" part of the equation. Very early in his career he started establishing his brand ... literally #Brand-Izzy. The adoption of the parm pigeon. Izzy dogs. The Augment. And just being a huge presence in the league, a true personality who was larger than life and became a leader for his team and a star with a brand that has become legendary.

If only he could learn the difference between "your" and "you're", but that is not really HoF consideration! Wink #LoveYouIzzy

(314 words)

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - SDCore - 10-25-2020

ISFL PT Claim

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Skeleton Party - 10-25-2020

So I’m just a young buck in the league, and I really don’t know too much about who the big movers and shakers in the league are, and who could realistically be considered a snub. I really just kind of have to go off of whatever the more experienced users tell me at this point and look at whatever new amazing spreadsheet luke has cooked up in the last week or so. Grok told me I should do Cedric Robinson so here comes some pure unadulterated bullshit in favor of Cedric making the hall. Cedric was a Buffalo lifer and seemed to be the core of the team. Over his career he put together a .912 sv% and a GAA of 2.50 which is stellar for the STHS era. His sv% would be 4th amongst HOF goalies, and his GAA would be good for 11th. His stats fit neatly into the requirements for an SHL goalie, and he has 2 Challenge Cups during his 9 season career to boot. Only real knock against him is longevity, as his 9 seasons in the SHL puts him at the 5th shortest tenure, with only McBride, Corcoran, Haas, and Kane having a shorter career and still making the Hall.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - MCP_ - 10-25-2020

Even before the PT, the person I had in mind for this was Defensive Defensewoman Mia Landvik, aka my gal Jenny. Despite being nominated a few times over the past few seasons, she never quite got the HOF votes to get in. However, she was a major part of the New England Wolfpack dynasty during the early S30's. She is 12th all-time in hits, has a respectable hit count (1000+), and is currently one of the best defensive defensemen the SHL has had. She also wasn't a slouch on the other side of the puck either: she had scored 448 points throughout her 16 season career, and it becomes obvious that she was a great player all around. As for why she potentially never did get into the hall of fame: it's a mix of being in the middle of some incredibly strong induction classes, as well as the potential of her influence being purely in the S30's.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - bk1689 - 10-25-2020

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it has to be Cameron Carter II. I realize he's freshly retired and hasn't exactly been snubbed, but honestly I'm lazy and like to go for the low hanging fruit. CCII has been so good, im not even going to bother listing his stats here for you(again, laziness). Anyone that has paid even a bit of attention over the last couple seasons has seen Carter become, one of the top power forwards of his time. If not for legendary Mike Izzy, CCII could have had an argument for top power forward. In saying all this, I don't think it will be long before we hear his name announced as an inductee, but as of right now, this absolute legend is snubbed. If there is a case for someone to be inducted before they retire, CCII should have been it.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - soulja - 10-25-2020

Yuri Boyka was part of the infamous s20 SHL draft. He was one of the biggest steals in that draft going late in round but was a major suprise to many. Boyka was drafted by the impacts and was able to set a record with the impacts. He led the SMJHL with the post points and was a real menace on the ice. Once being drafted to SHL by the Wolfpack, he was quickly traded to Los Angeles Panthers. This was a major mistake by the Wolfpack and the Panthers were able to utilize Boyka and make him a real threat to the opposition. Yuri Boyka deserves to be in the SHL Hall of fame as he was a top 20 player many times in his career. Just when people thought he hit a wall, he was traded to Renegades and continued to prove that he can once again emerge as a threat as he had 50+ pt seasons again. In 708 games, he was able to put up a respectable 562 pts.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - MP7 - 10-25-2020

As a member of the hall of fame committee, I always hope that we don’t fuck up too much and I know we never can’t make everyone happy at the end. A name that stands out for me that is missing in the hall of fame is one of West Kendell Platoons greatest player ever, Alex Light. I am maybe a little bit biased because I played with him for many seasons for the Austrian national team as well and we did quite good or the most of the time. 900 games and 726 points is quite an impressive number and worthy to get inducted into the hall. But his big problem is, that the last few years there have been always one or two heavyweights for a first ballot induction. If there comes a year with some weaker candidates joining the group of candidates, I do see him getting the call and take his place next to some of the greatest names SHL has had. He deserved it.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Cyanide - 10-25-2020

For the Hall of Fame, I don't think there is a player right now that deserves to be a HoFer than Trevor Wilson. Wilson played 20 seasons for a grand total of 1000 games. In those 1000 games, Wilson has 341 goals and 412 assists for 780 points. That puts him in between Armin Brovalchuk and Darian Scherbluk, both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Adding to his case is his total plus minus at a respectable +151. Over those 1000 games he sat in the penalty box for only 287 minutes, showing incredible discipline. Wilson also had an edge to his game, shown in his 905 hits. Overall, if Trevor Wilson does not make it into the Hall of Fame, it will be one of the biggest mistakes the league has made. When you have a career like Wilson has had, its only a matter of time before he gets in.

154 words

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Henrik - 10-25-2020

I believe that Trevor Wilson has a pretty good case for being selected into the hall of fame, even though he may not have the most impressive resume out there. He is one of only 5 players in the history of this league to play 1000 games and not be inducted into the HoF. That kind of longevity is very impressive. During that time he put up 753 points, a very good production pace for a player, I think most people would agree. All this while averaging less than 20 minutes of ice time per game (most of the HoF that have been selected before him sit at 2-4 minutes more ice time per game on average). While he never ended up winning any hardware or winning a cup in the SHL he did win some team awards in the juniors where he played for Kelowna as well as being part of their Four Star Cup win in S31. So all in all, while Wilson definitely didn't have the most impressive career in SHL history he definitely had a very long ans productive one. He is the kind of player I can see getting in if the nominees are weak a couple of seasons in a row.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - TheWoZy - 10-25-2020

I think Zander Rhys should be in the Hall of Fame. He was in the SHL for around 20 seasons where he played for Toronto North Stars for 18 years. I believe he was one of the best two-ways defensemen in the league when he played. He finished with 468 points which is in the top 10 scoring as defensemen. He finished 6th all time in shot blocks which shows his defensive talent. He won a Challenge Cup and he was in the all star team 5 times. Two times he was in the first all star team. He won a Richan trophy and got nominated for Stevens three times. I think people underrate him because he hasn’t won the trophy but he competed against the defensemens in the league like Ludwig Koch Schroder, Alexis Metzler, Alonzo Garbanzo, Ben Dover and more. Zander Rhys have similar stats to them and yet no one gives him any credits. I think he should be inducted in the Hall of Fame as quickly.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JaytheGreat - 10-25-2020

ISFL PT