Simulation Hockey League
S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame (/showthread.php?tid=99021)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - UncleLeosKomrade - 08-15-2019

Ah yes, the good ole days as some may call them. For Maui, they were spent mopping up puke a Latvian bar his grandfather owned. Back when Maui was a child his grandfather would bring him into the bar every now and then as Maui enjoyed the atmosphere, the music and the laughter. His grandfather would give a couple dollars to help clean up after the drunkens that spilled their guts and Maui did it because a couple dollars felt like millions at that age. While this gig did not last long, after his parents found out, it taught Maui the value of hard work. He watched his grandfather slave over the bar, night in and night out, and he learned that if you wanted to succeed you had to work hard everyday go achieve success. This has now translated to his hockey career as he never takes a day off. Everyday he is training and trying to improve to be the best he can be.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Ace - 08-15-2019

Well, as it's been well documented, my family ran our own Dairy Farm in Nuuk, Greenland. Bitties Dairy, where we have the best jugs of milk that Greenland can offer. I learned a lot during my time when I wasn't ridiculously wealthy - hard work breeds appreciation for the simplest things in life. If you never work hard for your stuff, you'll never truly appreciate what you have around you. There's also something tremendously rewarding to see something that you put direct effort into turning into a product that other people want. Grabbing a cow titty and milking that thing, ensuring the product is pure, and even doing some cheesemaking... It opened my eyes to the real world.

With that said, I'd much prefer my lifestyle these days, but there doesn't come a day where I'm not thankful for the experience I had growing up on the Bitties Dairy farm.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - goldenglutes - 08-15-2019

As a 15 year old budding hockey player, Guy Zheng would spend his time outside of school and hockey as a hot dog vendor. Zheng became a master of the wiener, and some say that his elite puck handling skills are because of all those years of handling sausages. His lethal shot can definitely be at least partially attributed to his hand-eye coordination skills that he honed while squirting condiments on his hot dogs with utmost precision and accuracy. His former teammates have regaled us with stories of how Zheng used to bring a cooler full of hot dogs to every practice, and you can definitely see how the young defenseman was already showing strong signs of leadership in the locker room by way of the wiener. In fact, some say that his close relationship with fellow New England player, Dick Clapper, is because they spent a considerable amount of time together with Dick practicing his clapping on Zheng's sausages. By the time he had paid his dues as a hot dog man, Zheng was already ready to make the jump to the SMJHL.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - dmills3 - 08-15-2019

During my high school days before I joined the SMJHL as a free agent, I would spend my days and nights being attracted to 2 sports: baseball and hockey. I played baseball my whole life starting at age 4, and didn't start playing hockey until age 8, surprisingly. During school I would constantly find myself looking at mlb.com or nhl.com, watching highlights from games I missed the night before. Not only that but I would fade off into a daydream thinking about how my baseball or hockey game would go that night. Despite that, I somehow managed a pretty good GPA that got me into an accredited university where I could continue playing both baseball and hockey. My roommates and I would constantly talk sports, day and night, which only enriched my knowledge of hockey that allowed me to perform better and better as I learned more. Not only that, but having people to play deck hockey with in the spring and summer when ice time was hard to come by, allowed for me to work on my game all year long.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Emiko - 08-16-2019

PBE PT

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - wumaduce - 08-16-2019

pbe - squishes username

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - hhh81 - 08-16-2019

I grew up in Western Germany, near Cologne, with my family. My mother was a washer woman, working in a laundromat. My father was a soldier. Their work allowed me the opportunity to be on the ice regularly when I was very young, 6 or 7. After he passed away, I had to get a job to help support my family. My younger sister, Hannah, began working with my mother as soon as she was able. I found a job in a factory when I was 13, helping to move barrels and clean. It was a hard job, but it helped support my family. I continued to play some hockey while at the factory.

When I turned 15, my mother pushed me to quit the factory and focus more on my hockey. She believed I had real talent to be successful, and a local coach for DEG reached out to us asking me to join their juniors program. From age 15 on, I was a professional hockey player. This brought in a little more money for my family, but I still found moments to pick up a second job. I worked for a restaurant as a… what do you call them, bus boy? Bus boy. I’ve always loved real German cooking, so being around sausage makers and my native foods always brings me joy.

After two years with Dusseldorfer EG, I decided to come to North America to push toward the SHL. I achieved that goal, and have helped my mother and sister build a better life back in Germany.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Tomasnz - 08-16-2019

Peter always had to work in the summer holiday since he was 14. His parents helped him get the jobs, and continued to pay him allowance, so the jobs supported all the new equipment for hockey he kept needing to buy as he grew. Also helped pay for all the travel he needed to do as part of the age group teams he was qualifying for.

The first summer he worked stacking shelves in a hardware store, pretty easy work, and helped keep him on his feet all day.

The next summer he worked behind the counter of the same Hardware store in addition to stacking shelves.

the next summer was the last summer he needed to work since he had a semi-pro contract from the Danish ice hockey league to look forward to the following year. However this summer he ended up being strong enough to work in the warehouse out behind the hardware store where they received bulk chemical deliveries and then repackaged those into smaller containers for resale under the store's own brand. This was back breaking work especially over summer. needing to be in full coverage overalls, working next to a huge extractor fan, as well as having to handle some pretty nasty stuff used for cleaning, and also for treating swimming pools. on top of that he also needed to move 40-60kg drums of chemicals to and from his work area, as well as loading and stacking or shipping out the boxes and containers he had just packed. It wasn't all bad, the owner bought him lunch each day from the bakery, and the work was super physical which means the off-season conditioning programme he was on was a breeze.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - JKortesi81 - 08-16-2019

Before his dreams of being an SHL superstar came to fruition, Joe K was part of a special forces team that went into a different Home Depot each day to make sure the stores were doing their jobs. He’d be in charge of the building materials section, making sure the concrete bags, roofing shingles, and all of the other sorts of heavy items were up to snuff. He made sure they were stacked properly, priced properly, and set up to the vendor’s specifications in the aisle. It is because of those days throwing around 50 pound 5 gallon buckets and 80 pound bags of concrete that helped him gain some superior strength, especially in his legs, that would go on to help him in the SHL. His skating and core strength was much more developed because of those muscles he gained working at Home Depot that it resulted in giving him a jump start of sorts into his SHL career. (160)

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Julio Tokolosh - 08-16-2019

Before Julio Tokolosh was responsible for the post-game beer cooler, hosting a party, set up and clean up of every drill run at practice, and all of the other rookie duties that he has taken on, he had a very different job. Julio and his family escaped a slaughterhouse in central new york by challenging the mill operators to a game of shinny. After earning their freedom, Julio took his entrepreneurial attitude to the ice tundra of central new york and opened "Milky Mitts". Milky Mitts is an application that connects clients that are interested in having a pond on their property with qualified (and background checked) cows who will come to their site and dig a cow pond. These ponds are built to the client's desired proportions and include a painting / ice maintenance kit for the winters when the ponds will freeze over and give the owners an opportunity to really increase their dangles.

Julio's time at Milky MItts gave him the ditch digging grit that every locker room guy needs, and enabled him to work on his own puck handling skills while finding a way to contribute to his community.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - NONAME - 08-16-2019

Unlike many players in the SMJHL/SHL, Bo Kane didn't have eyes on a professional hockey career his whole life. It was a sport he loved and he had a natural talent at but he was never scouted by CHL teams on Colleges and was very lowkey with hockey. It was more of a side hobby for him. Kane was more focused on becoming a businessman. He was attending the University of Toronto to complete his Business of Administration degree with a major in Accounting. He always had his eyes on becoming an entrepreneur and being his own boss. He was fascinated with the idea of building something from the ground up into a successful business. Throughout his schooling, he worked at a hotel as a Front Desk Associate. He quickly climbed into a management position which he considered great experience to have as he plans on being the boss one day. He then started to dabble in helping out with the accounting department. These work experiences play a huge factor in Kane's hockey career success because he's able to conduct himself in a professional manner and he knew if this hockey career failed, he had something to fallback on that he loved.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Whikadoodle - 08-16-2019

Hey Kids. This is Ricky Spanish, and I'm here to scare you straight. Before I was a bona-fide SMJHL superstar, I was involved in the seedy underworld of unorganized crime. I spent my days not plotting or scheming, but commuting random acts of thievery and thuggery all across the eastern seaboard. I would steal mail from peoples mailboxes, trip the elderly in crosswalks, and graffiti the inside of churches. I once convinced a junkie to conspire with me to commit mail fraud. I evaded my taxes and laundered money through a pyramid scheme focused on injecting adolescents with PCP. Did I make good money? Absolutely, but I destroyed a lot of lives. It was a job, I'll tell you what, but it really prepared me for my career as a professional junior hockey player. Now I destroy lives out on the ice, instead of in the community.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - BWIII - 08-16-2019

PBE PT

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Smirnov Light - 08-16-2019

Before the fame, Leonid Kofix was an outstanding waiter in Russia in his family restaurant. He would receive massive tips and patrons entering there would wish that he would be their waiter. He then moved on to becoming the chef and every patron was excited the second they sat down. While this excitement garnered, he became famous in his own home town prior to truly setting his sights on making it to the SHL. His family had it all, for a small village, and their life looked like it could never get any better. That all changed swiftly when the family restaurant burned down and subsequently did their familial status in the village. They no longer had a consistent revenue and something needed to give. The family understood that Leonid was gifted on the ice however they did not want him to play due to potential head injuries. They gave in, and let him follow his dreams in hopes to bring back money for the family following the burn down. He is now on a mission to get the money for his family.

RE: S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame - Jenny - 08-16-2019

When Olivier was a kid, his class did a special unit on early films because France is the birthplace of cinema. They watched a bunch of movies done by the Lumiere brothers and some early surrealist films, and Olivier fell in love with movies. He went off on his own and learned he loves horror movies best, but he can talk for hours about the evolution of film and the techniques involved in making it. That love led to him getting a job at a local art house cinema in Lyon when he was 13. He only worked there for a few months before he moved away from Lyon, and it wasn't very glamourous and mostly involved cleaning under strict supervision, but he also got to learn about how the film was loaded and the theatre was operated, so he thought it was fun anyway. He doesn't have any regrets about his hockey career, but film is definitely his first love.