Simulation Hockey League
What worries you about switching to FHM? - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: SHL Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: What worries you about switching to FHM? (/showthread.php?tid=101641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - caltroit_red_flames - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 06:22 PMztevans Wrote:
11-27-2019, 05:40 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: The biggest problem in the SHL has always been how awful the builds are with STHS. Awful in terms of "easy to max, everyone looks the same, etc".

The idea of making more unique builds among EVERYONE, and making it damn near impossible to "max out" means it'll be more fun. And if anything, it'll bring in a lot more players. No longer will we lose players who want to play more "goon-like" or be a shutdown center, etc.

The more options we have, the more people we can collect to join the ranks along the way, and the best things will be for the site in general.

HEY HEY HEY that reminds me to the goon point.  I noticed in one of those spreadsheets it mentions that the enforcer/goon types can lower opponents' "bravery." Is that a thing that would be in effect for us (and thus make those player types something of value other than 'Please get in a fight with the other team's star and get them off the ice for five minutes?')

Unless we find something game breaking while test simming yes! We were all very excited when we noticed that as well. No more "enforcers are useless" and GMs not drafting them. At least that's the hope.

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - Chris-McZehrl - 11-27-2019

That is what I tried to explain so many seasons.... we Hand out way too much TPE also still After lowered TPE payout! I did try in the past to explain my thoughts with bad english and no one understood me. Then we had the third TPE scale and all were happy. The best way were to Kill the TPE and create harsh builds. We still can stay with the same number of PTs but Kill down the payout and weekly training will go from 5/3/1 to 3/2/1. We can also Kill some TPE from Equipment and for season PTs we could payout 1 instead of 3 TPE. We also can Kill this capped TPE. For Mock draft as example we could payout 2 saved TPE and then for each correct prediction 0.25 TPE.

To builds .... we as community or just the SHL HO, Owner and Commishes can decide to say that playmaker and sniper cant have more than 70 in defense and checking! Not more than 80 in Scoring/Passing. Max 90 in Skating, puckhandling and endurance. Only center can have more than 80 in faceoffs. Strength for center max 90 rest of sniper/playmaker not more than 85.

Defensive forwards cant have more than 80 in passing and scoring, def max 90 because forward, checking max 85, strength max 90, Skating and puckhandling max 90

Forward goon... CHK max 99 and DEF max 90. Scoring and passing max 80 and so on

Off Defender
Skating + Puckhandling + Scoring + Passing max 90, defense and strength max 85, checking max 85

DEF defender
Skating and strength max 90
Def max 99
Checking max 95
Passing and scoring max 75

I just try to Show all that we have many options to change things and I still havent seen any proven Material with build Template changes + league setting changes.

Like I said before ... I would like to see 100% hopeless things for STHS and then we should talk about those changes. If we all did try to fight against this problem and we still have hopeless then you have my 100% vote. But just say it is so but not really try to use the creativity to talk with Simon or try to change this problem with like build template changes + way less TPE + the fact that normally no team having this gaps between passing and scoring if needed After all test about that I tried to bring up earlier here .....

I still believe we can solve this problem ... especially with the Help of Simon.

If not .... I believe nearly all would accept it but until that you shouldnt try to push so hard forward or try to riot for that.

Problem in the past for doing templates like I Showed here was ... that the most didnt want to be NOT maxed. We had a time as we had nearly all skills on 99 until some changes. And that all happened because of more payed out TPE. In the past ... I believe S13-S15 I did try to shut down the TPE Inflation but someone killed my explanation with nearly those words: "McZ why you are pissed about that? You also saw in real NHL better and not so good drafts" that was in the past enough to close my mouth because all attacked me and back uped him. So I saw it coming several times and never a member came to me with the words ... dammit, McZ you was right. So please trust me and share at First all tests and results with interested Members and the Head Office. Because 1-3 seasons are around 2-7 months away from now. So you would have a max of 2-7 months testing against 10 years STHS. and if you do FHM why no one test the new EHM? Not possible?

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - RomanesEuntDomus - 11-27-2019

Just out of curiosity, have there been test sims where we kept everything as is and just had a single guy with the 40 PA build on a team? If so, how did he perform and how did things change the more 40 PA players were added to the team, while the rest of the league stayed the same? I think so far I only saw screenshots with lots of those players on one team, or them being distributed around the league, but then again I haven't followed the entire discussion.

Izzy brought up an interesting point by the way, I think one of the biggest changes the SHL has seen in recent years has been the increased min-maxing especially from the managing side, with people trying to understand every facet of the sim and doing extensive testing and statistical analysis in a way that hasn't been done before. It is a double-edged sword, because on the one hand it adds value to the league like the advanced stats stats that we now have, and the people engaged in it are among the most dedicated ones that we have, after all they only do it because they care a lot about this place. But on the other hand, this kind of min-maxing and optimization does take away some of the magic and the fun as well. Being able to understand and rationalize every little detail about the engine doesn't necessarily make things more fun, it makes them predictable and takes away options because it creates a "meta" that people have to adhere to if they want to have success.

I think this is something that we should keep an eye on in the future, of course we can't prevent people from investing time to familiarize themselves with the sim and analyzing it, but I think it might be wise to pace ourselves a bit more than we are doing now or else we risk creating sort of an arms race were new exploits and shortcuts to success will be identified at a higher and higher pace, forcing everyone to deal with the fallout every time this happens anew.

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - ztevans - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 06:34 PMSlashACM Wrote: Maybe if we switch to FHM the Panthers might actually be good

Right now they arent

Look, man, we had the Saints right where we wanted them. Leading by three after our kicker left five points on the field.

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - ztevans - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 06:45 PMChris-McZehrl Wrote: Snip

Like I said before ... I would like to see 100% hopeless things for STHS and then we should talk about those changes. If we all did try to fight against this problem and we still have hopeless then you have my 100% vote. But just say it is so but not really try to use the creativity to talk with Simon or try to change this problem with like build template changes + way less TPE + the fact that normally  no team having this gaps between passing and scoring if needed After all test about that I tried to bring up earlier here .....

Snip

I've seen this notion of "Getting help from Simon" a lot in various conversations so I'm not picking on McZ here but ... everything I've ever heard is that he's impossible to deal with? From what I've seen, he's downright standoffish when you simply ask for a clarification or an explanation on part of the working of his sim. The idea that he'd suddenly bend over backwards to help one league out of the many that use his product when his reputation suggests he has all the flexibility of a diamond ... where is this coming from? Why are we even positing it as a possibility?

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - Tomen - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 07:02 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Just out of curiosity, have there been test sims where we kept everything as is and just had a single guy with the 40 PA build on a team? If so, how did he perform and how did things change the more 40 PA players were added to the team, while the rest of the league stayed the same? I think so far I only saw screenshots with lots of those players on one team, or them being distributed around the league, but then again I haven't followed the entire discussion.

Izzy brought up an interesting point by the way, I think one of the biggest changes the SHL has seen in recent years has been the increased min-maxing especially from the managing side, with people trying to understand every facet of the sim and doing extensive testing and statistical analysis in a way that hasn't been done before. It is a double-edged sword, because on the one hand it adds value to the league like the advanced stats stats that we now have, and the people engaged in it are among the most dedicated ones that we have, after all they only do it because they care a lot about this place. But on the other hand, this kind of min-maxing and optimization does take away some of the magic and the fun as well. Being able to understand and rationalize every little detail about the engine doesn't necessarily make things more fun, it makes them predictable and takes away options because it creates a "meta" that people have to adhere to if they want to have success.

I think this is something that we should keep an eye on in the future, of course we can't prevent people from investing time to familiarize themselves with the sim and analyzing it, but I think it might be wise to pace ourselves a bit more than we are doing now or else we risk creating sort of an arms race were new exploits and shortcuts to success will be identified at a higher and higher pace, forcing everyone to deal with the fallout every time this happens anew.

3 players at 40 Passing and 99 Scoring. Phelps, Tig, Wilson rest the same. I didn't even adjust the other attributes.

[Image: unknown.png]

Records broken in this screen:
Most goals (current Era) : 38
Most Assists: current Era, only 1 shy of all-time): 49
Most Points ( current Era): 79

Other noticeable stats:
300 shots ( 4 shy of current Era top 5)
Most Points by a D current Era: I think this ties Due's all-time record.
2 +/- shy of current era top 5 +/-

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - caltroit_red_flames - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 08:22 PMTomen Wrote:
11-27-2019, 07:02 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Just out of curiosity, have there been test sims where we kept everything as is and just had a single guy with the 40 PA build on a team? If so, how did he perform and how did things change the more 40 PA players were added to the team, while the rest of the league stayed the same? I think so far I only saw screenshots with lots of those players on one team, or them being distributed around the league, but then again I haven't followed the entire discussion.

3 players at 40 Passing and 99 Scoring. Phelps, Tig, Wilson rest the same. I didn't even adjust the other attributes.

Other noticeable stats:
Most Points by a D current Era: I think this ties Due's  all-time record.

Jesus this is just irrefutable

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - Samsung virtual assistant - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 06:34 PMSlashACM Wrote: Maybe if we switch to FHM the Panthers might actually be good

Right now they arent

It might help you be able to win a McBride too

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - SlashACM - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 10:37 PMスウェグキング Wrote:

Right now they arent

It might help you be able to win a McBride too

Individual awards are overrated

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - Samsung virtual assistant - 11-27-2019

11-27-2019, 10:57 PMSlashACM Wrote:
11-27-2019, 10:37 PMスウェグキング Wrote: It might help you be able to win a McBride too

Win/win

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - ArGarBarGar - 11-28-2019

11-27-2019, 10:57 PMSlashACM Wrote:
11-27-2019, 10:37 PMスウェグキング Wrote: It might help you be able to win a McBride too

When someone brings up the fact you haven't won a Challenge Cup (don't even try to bring up S45), will you assert that team awards are overrated as well?

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - caltroit_red_flames - 11-28-2019

11-28-2019, 12:15 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
11-27-2019, 10:57 PMSlashACM Wrote: Individual awards are overrated
When someone brings up the fact you haven't won a Challenge Cup (don't even try to bring up S45), will you assert that team awards are overrated as well?

S45

[Image: source.gif]

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - ArGarBarGar - 11-28-2019

11-28-2019, 12:35 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
11-28-2019, 12:15 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: When someone brings up the fact you haven't won a Challenge Cup (don't even try to bring up S45), will you assert that team awards are overrated as well?

S45

[Image: source.gif]
You just ended this man's whole career.

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - SlashACM - 11-28-2019

11-28-2019, 12:15 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
11-27-2019, 10:57 PMSlashACM Wrote: Individual awards are overrated

I won a gold and two four stars so I got time

RE: What worries you about switching to FHM? - Mayuu - 11-28-2019

11-27-2019, 08:22 PMTomen Wrote:

Other noticeable stats:
Most Points by a D current Era: I think this ties Due's  all-time record.

This is super simple to reproduce as well.

It should be said that you don’t even have to get down to 40 passing, 60-70 passing will produce almost the same results. Tomen even tries 60 pass 99 score 60 def and it would still walk right over the rest of the league.