Simulation Hockey League
Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: SHL Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+---- Thread: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team (/showthread.php?tid=103115)

Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Carbine - 01-23-2020

The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

I think we're big enough to pay 3 or so folks outside of HO in either league to arbitrate appeals as they come in. Wouldn't be much work really, could pay per appeal received or per season - kind of like the Dept of Player Safety in the NHL except it would be punishments they discuss not injuries. Even if a majority of rulings side with the HO, it would provide external oversight that we don't have now.

Tell me I'm wrong or something, I think it's a good idea.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - 39alaska39 - 01-23-2020

01-23-2020, 08:14 PMCarbine Wrote: The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

I think we're big enough to pay 3 or so folks outside of HO in either league to arbitrate appeals as they come in. Wouldn't be much work really, could pay per appeal received or per season - kind of like the Dept of Player Safety in the NHL except it would be punishments they discuss not injuries. Even if a majority of rulings side with the HO, it would provide external oversight that we don't have now.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that this used to exist and it was deemed superfluous and an unnecessary extra step. I could be wrong however about that

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Leppish - 01-23-2020

Yeah let me decide punishments.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - JNH - 01-23-2020

01-23-2020, 08:24 PM39alaska39 Wrote:
01-23-2020, 08:14 PMCarbine Wrote: The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that this used to exist and it was deemed superfluous and an unnecessary extra step. I could be wrong however about that

It mainly existed as a disciplinary committee iirc, I think his suggestion is only an appeals committee which could work. They just most likely will only be seeing minimal work.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Naosu - 01-23-2020

Applied

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - WannabeFinn - 01-23-2020

Lol so the Discipline Committee and the Owners

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Vandy - 01-23-2020

I'd be down to apply, I've done this kind of work before.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Carbine - 01-23-2020

Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - caltroit_red_flames - 01-23-2020

I like this idea (and tried to implement it in NSHL). We used it one time and it caused a big ruckus. There needs to be a way to take the heat off of HO because they're just doing their damn jobs. But this is a tough one.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - SlashACM - 01-23-2020

01-23-2020, 08:57 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I like this idea (and tried to implement it in NSHL). We used it one time and it caused a big ruckus. There needs to be a way to take the heat off of HO because they're just doing their damn jobs. But this is a tough one.

Who cheated? Was it that one guy who GMed Vegas that I swear had a multi?

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - BDonini - 01-23-2020

01-23-2020, 08:55 PMCarbine Wrote: Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

In a perfect world we'd have more than one active owner and they could handle appeals for both league but given the circumstances I like your idea of the HO's handling appeals for the opposite HO. An appeals committee could be a good idea but I think finding a group of completely impartial, serious users to take on the job might be difficult. Maybe some sort of appeals committee that includes Leafs as the head and 2 members of each HO could work. Just spitballing idk.

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - caltroit_red_flames - 01-23-2020

01-23-2020, 09:08 PMBDonini Wrote:
01-23-2020, 08:55 PMCarbine Wrote: Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

In a perfect world we'd have more than one active owner and they could handle appeals for both league but given the circumstances I like your idea of the HO's handling appeals for the opposite HO. An appeals committee could be a good idea but I think finding a group of completely impartial, serious users to take on the job might be difficult. Maybe some sort of appeals committee that includes Leafs as the head and 2 members of each HO could work. Just spitballing idk.

I volunteer to be an owner

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - artermis - 01-25-2020

I've been saying it for a while: separation of powers goes a long way

RE: Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team - Wallflower - 01-25-2020

I would apply for this