Simulation Hockey League
[OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: [OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT (/showthread.php?tid=50410)

- Duke Nukem - 01-04-2016

1) How did you find us?

Through a friend

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?

Yes because I had help

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player?

No I had help

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?

No i had help xD

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)

Tourney

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members.

More stuff to do when first making your player so you don't get bored.

- NUCK 2.0 - 01-05-2016

1) How did you find us? I have been watching my dad play this for a while.

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? It is a lot of information in a lot of different places.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? No

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? Briefly as dad needed a refresher on a few things.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) Shorter off season.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. The locked tabs in the player creation start up section could have been ordered a bit better. If the player mentor-ship is no longer a thing it would be nice to see it make a come back. The player creation tutorial should be PM'd to each new member to help the get the info right off the bat, maybe even emailed to them or sent there right through the activation link.

- treant - 01-05-2016

1) How did you find us?

about a month ago I joined a new EHM league. We have a group chat that we usually use to shoot the shit and one of the guys mentioned this site and said a recruitment drive was happening. It sounded like an idea I'd had for 'be a pro' league before so I signed up!

Yes and no; the site is easy to navigate but I took two hours of looking around to feel comfortable with starting to make my player. It took maybe another day before I got a very basic idea of how things worked.

I wanted to look around before I created my player and put some thought into it but when I started it was not a problem (the rookie quick links I was sent in a message were very helpful!Wink

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?

I used the written one to make sure I filled out the form correctly. But I've some experience of STHS so I knew about attributes and how to work them. I got help from a few very helpful members with getting started post creation also!

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)

I'm looking forward to the prospect tournament! I've kept myself busy on the site by writing one or two articles also.

I can't really think of anything! Between the resources you have in place and your willingness to help it's largely all covered!

- ej27 - 01-05-2016

1) How did you find us? A friend's recommendation! (Thanks, Lil!Wink

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? It's overwhelming because there is SO MUCH going on, but it's not difficult to navigate once you start poking around.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? None at all!

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I used the written tutorial. It helped a ton.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) I'm extremely excited about the prospect tournament. I think a great point task in the future would be to have some sort of teams related trivia so that prospects are encouraged to learn about the teams that will be drafting them. I got a lot of questions regarding what team I was interested in early on and didn't know enough about them to give a complete answer.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. I think the only way to make it easier is to be active in as many ways as you can! You guys already do a great job encouraging that.

- engine - 01-12-2016

1) How did you find us?
rrireal and lil o:-)

it's a little difficult (mostly explanations of how to do things tbh) but I've been a pat of forums before, so I have a head start probably

nope! friends explained the different skills and I know enough about tabletop games to figure out where to apply things, haha

written, and a little! it wasn't the most clear, and i did have questions, but I think that's going to be the case no matter what. it helps to have people to chat with!

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?
N/A since that's over!!!

I'd love if the subforums were streamlined a bit, there are a LOT of them and it's a little difficult to figure out which are the important ones. also, there are threads (like, face claims, stars of the week, etc) that don't seem to be in use, and in that case should be trashed! that way there's not extra stuff cluttering the forums.

- hockeyis87 - 01-13-2016

1) How did you find us?
watching my dad on the site

hard to navigate for a youngster, but I am sure I will move around better

none since I had someone helping

followed written

came in after draft, but any type of tournament would be nice to see player in action

rookie thread section with all the links rookie need in it maybe

- WZjang - 01-15-2016

1) How did you find us? JNH

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? Seems fine, found this without help.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? Not at all, very straightforward.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? No

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) Nothing really, I only care about this seasons.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. More hands on/proactive.

- SinnedLever - 02-12-2016

1) How did you find us?­

I was looking for a sim league and saw a­ few on Reddit. I decided on the SHL be­cause the league looked well organized a­nd just ready some of the threads the co­mmunity seemed very helpful.

2) Is the site easy to navigate as a ­newcomer?

If you read than yes, it is very easy to­ navigate. All of the topics are broken ­down nicely and easy to follow.

3) Did you have any trouble creating ­your player?

There are so many resources that I was a­ble to get the main idea of player creat­ion and TPE fairly easy. My GM’s helped­ me also so again, the community is grea­t.

4) Did you use the video/written tuto­rial when creating your player? If yes, ­did it help?

Yes, I used the written tutorial. I chec­ked out the attribute breakdowns by NOVA­C, and really got a good deal of knowled­ge from XDPARK written tutorial.

5) What would you like to do while wa­iting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Pros­pect Tournament)

I am currently signed for the remainder ­of S27 by the Knights. I hope to help th­em in any way that I can. I think that ­I will stay in the SMJHL for S28 and bui­ld my player up to be a high draft pick.

6) Give us one suggestion to make thi­s site easier on new members.

To be honest everything was rather easy,­ once you just read. Plus I was PM’ed by­ my GM and other members on how to get s­tarted. I think that this is going to be­ a great place for my player to grow.

- akamai - 03-11-2016

1) How did you find us?

I was recruited directly by friends (rrireal and lil).

I think it's okay once you get into it. The only thread I could think of that it took me a long time to re-find was the FAQ--I like that it's under "Getting Started" but I don't know why it doesn't have its own separate shield bc it also answers a lot of good early-days questions that happen between creating a player and getting drafted.

No, though I got a lot of valuable help and hand-holding from my friends.

I used parts of both, and I think both have limitations--the video is packed with information but the speaker talks in a very slow and rambling way to the point where I couldn't make myself sit through it. On the other hand, it also walks you through things step-by-step better than the written section (I personally think), so I went back to it and fast-forwarded when I got stuck or something was unclear.

As I'm coming in very late to this, I probably won't have a ton of ideas, but from people who missed the draft in the first go-round, it sounds like some more activities for unassigned players might not be amiss. (My smol son got a goal in his first prospect tournament game!! So proud c'Smile

One thing that might be cool would be a big/little system with more direct interaction? So players who have been through at least X number of seasons actually have a particularly designated person to reach out to. There could be incentives for interaction on both sides. I'd like to make more friends who are interested in fleshing out their players' backstory, and have my player have friendships, rivalries, etc with other players. The Rookie Locker Room is cool but I found the number of people to be a little overwhelming and not much of a great meet-and-great.

More bullet-point guides and direct links!

- mcculloughgulch - 03-11-2016

1) How did you find us? rrireal and engine

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? *wiggly hand gesture* I think there is definitely some stuff I really had to hunt for. I feel like most of my comfort with the site comes from having used forums before, and if someone had never used a forum site it might be overwhelming.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? Not too much!

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? Yes I did! It was helpful, but I also had to ask for some help.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) The prospect tournament is great! I'm a little bit late so I probably don't have many worthwhile suggestions right now but I think maybe some sort of established, low-key mentorship/advising might be nice? I've been able to ask friends for help but it would be nice to have someone (not a GM or a scout) who I could go to when I have questions about using the site or bringing everything together.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. While there are some tutorials/links, and some of them are consolidated, I think I would have really appreciated a step by step guide in one spot (like the guide for your first PT or the written tutorial for creating a player). There is a LOT of clicking around, and I found myself getting pretty lost a lot. Which is sort of a curse of forums, but I feel like some of it could be consolidated into one post/thread.

- Plutonium - 03-14-2016

1) How did you find us?
I googled simulation hockey leagues.

Fairly easy.

No. I used the guides.

Yes. Made it much easier.

Prospect tourney, which I saw there is, or maybe a draft combine for more TPE before the draft.

Idk, I found it fairly easy to navigate, so I can't think of anyhthing right now.

- Creature Survive - 03-15-2016

1) How did you find us?
RomanesEuntDomus and Eggy216 posted a thread in r/Sabres, it sounded too cool to pass up.

It was definitely a bit confusing at first, but after strolling around the subforums it's quick to pick up.

At first I did but the attribute descriptions were really helpful to figure out how to make my first build.

I used the written tutorial, it was a great checklist for everything I needed to do to create a player.

N/A, will be writing articles in the near future.

Maybe clean up the rookie LR? I found myself with a lot of tabs open at first to find my way around, condensing to a few would be better.

- Bemetsz - 03-15-2016

1) How did you find us? Really found through WFL. But was pushed by people like Ohtaay

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? Its very confusing at first, but I am getting more and more comfortable with it by the day.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? Not really, just wanted to make it the best build to start off.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I used both and helped quite a lot.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) I thought the Prospect tournament was a great way to introduce us prospects, definitely helped me wait for the Draft.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. Since there are so many forums on here, maybe a nice dropdown menu. (something like the one being used on the default skin.) but with more important things listed on there. I.E. Prospect button with helpful topics/updates page in dropdown.

- xfactorx121 - 03-15-2016

1) How did you find us?
I played WFL football for a while and when it become unstable and people started to bail I came here.

Very easy but I worry that I miss easy point tasks that are hidden in certain places I don't look.

No. Very Straight forward and plenty of people available to help.

No, I didn't use.

I think that players that sign up before draft should be able to participate in other point tasks. Its a benefit to sign up early to get a leg up on other players.

A live chat at the top of the page where members can talk live while on the site.

- SHGFLA - 03-16-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit

Not bad. Gets easy over and over.

No it was straight forward.

Written tutorial. Helped.

Prospect tournament, combine, interviews with teams, interviews with press.

I still don't have a full understanding of the bank. I will learn soon.