Simulation Hockey League
[OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: [OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT (/showthread.php?tid=50410)

- Toivo - 07-22-2016

1) How did you find us? Like a lot of others it seems, the recruitment post on r/hockey.

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? I've been confused a lot, early on.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? I thought it was easy, but somehow I messed up and only used 150 TPE.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? No I didn't.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) Learn my way around a bit more.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. At first I was very clueless where to go. I think like others have said, a comprehensive guide for rookies that covers just about everything. It took me a bit of digging to find the first PT guide, but it was helpful.

- Zoone16 - 07-22-2016

1) How did you find us? Someone made a post on reddit /r/hockey

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? Easier than expected. The huge amount of categories made it look daunting at first.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? Confusing at first but the player building tool helped a lot.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I used the written tutorials to understand how to post. Otherwise I went with what I think fits my player.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) Prospect Tournament sounds fun. Combine (but it might have already happened before I started?)

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. I feel that the forum page should follow a progression. Rookie Locker Room > SMJHL content > SHL content.

- zbelanger - 07-23-2016

1) How did you find us?
reddit
2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?
Confusing at first, but I'm sure i'll find my way around
3) Did you have any trouble creating your player?
Nope everything was clear
4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?
No, I asked helped from experienced members Tongue
5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)
A prospect game would be cool, maybe a tournament of some sort for the undrafted players
6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members.
It's hard to say right now since I just joined, but most forums are usually like this and I'm just not accustomed to using them. So at first I get confused on where to find stuff. Maybe combine all the new player information into one dropbox document or something, so we dont have to scroll through multiple forums

- ztevans - 07-23-2016

1) How did you find us?

By stumbling innocently onto r/canes and seeing an xpost to the r/hockey recruitment thread for SHL. I'm used to hockey disappointment over the last eight years, so I doubt this will go any better for me. Couldn't help myself.

There's a LOT of material, but the rookie guides and tutorials are pretty helpful. Give it a day or two, and I think I'll be okay.

It was easier than I expected. Bojo's creation tool is remarkably helpful.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?

I perused the written tutorial. It was very helpful, especially since I have zero familiarity with the sim's mechanics.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)

Try not to piss anyone off with a stupid question. Learn more about ways I can help out by writing occasionally, since that is something I like to do.

This isn't a "make it easier" thing, but it did intimidate me to see in the player creation thread that there were only two names, and both had been rejected for not properly attributing points. Maybe something as simple as editing the titles of those rejectee threads, or making it more clear your thread will be moved upon approval, would have made me a little less skeptical that I'd figure it out.

- anivoflean - 07-23-2016

1) How did you find us?
r/canes subreddit

it's a little overwhelming at first, but it'll be okay

None at all, the build calculator helped a ton

I used the written tutorial and it helped out quite a bit

I'm definitely going to have to get familiar with the site, but the tournament is a great idea

not sure if it's just me, but it feels like i'm going to 3 different pages for the same information.

- Bongsong - 07-23-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit
I'm struggling
Yes but I had but I had help
Yes I used the written tutorial and it did help.
Just make my character as strong as possible before the draft.
The Guide doesn't make sense to me for some reason.

- Eichelele - 07-23-2016

1) How did you find us? From the reddit thread

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? There's definitely a learning curve, I'd say the most challenging thing is initially navigating to the different information.I must have had 7 windows open on the site at once! But the posted tutorials definitely helped.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? Nope, it took a little while but that was the easiest part.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I used the written one.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) A prospect tourny would be great. I haven't seen any of the game simulation or engine in use yet so maybe I'm way ouy in left field, but it would be interesting if parts of it could be modified for a skills competition?

I think the tutorial leaves out good suggestions for modifying your homepage to be most useful (like linking to your player and update pages in the Saved Topics section, etc...

- riccarjo - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit!

Not in the least, unfortunately. Though it's been a while since I've used the forum structure.

Nothing too significant.

No

Anything I can do!

Consolidate resources! Too many guides link to other guides that are outdated or old, it makes it very confusing.

- Ghost - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us? reddit.com/r/hockey had a recruiting thread

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? I'm still getting used to it, I'm not sure if I missed it in the written tutorial but I wasn't sure at first how to link to my comments, but everyone's been pretty damn welcoming and I asked my mentor and I got an email back later that day with pictures which made it super easy to figure out

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? No

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I used the written tutorial and it definitely helped.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament) I only signed up a few days before the draft and I've been using the time in between to get familiar with the site...but a prospect tournament would be cool if I signed up a bit earlier.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. I think a search feature might help especially as a new member

- Poonslayer69 - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit
Not really
A little bit
I used the video which was very helpful, some of the threads were out dated though so it was difficult for the video to remain relevant.
A more developed and thorough tutorial for the site. I feel like if i was more comfortable with it, it would be a lot easier to remain active.
Make the forums easier to navigate or maybe a page with links to everything that a rookie would need. Also having a chatroom like part of the site so people can ask more specific questions and receive immediate answers. You could pay people for minutes logged or questions answered through the bank.

- Berard Gutler - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit!

Not really, its confusing and im still trying o figure everything out after 4 or 5 hours. its getting better though.

no, that was challenging but it was straight forward after i had all the information.

written, and yes thanks.

A search engine. and maybe for newcommers a page (not a thread) that contains "all you need to know instead" of forum hopping. I did receive a message in my inbox almost immediately but like i said its a lot of jumping around.

- akamai - 07-24-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Berard Gutler@Jul 24 2016, 10:02 PM
[b]1) How did you find us?
Reddit!

Not really, its confusing and im still trying o figure everything out after 4 or 5 hours. its getting better though.

no, that was challenging but it was straight forward after i had all the information.

written, and yes thanks.

A search engine. and maybe for newcommers a page (not a thread) that contains "all you need to know instead" of forum hopping. I did receive a message in my inbox almost immediately but like i said its a lot of jumping around.[/b]

Hey there! That thread now exists :D http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=68932 It's a pinned folder in the Rookie Locker Room if you happen to lose track of it! Wink

- tweedledunn - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us? Reddit

2) Is the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? It's a bit old school/ throwback, I wouldn't say it was easy

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? No

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? Video and written both used, both very helpful - video more initially, written great to follow up

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft? I didn't know there were things to do while waiting... draft is tomorrow, not long to wait hopefully

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. More video tutorials on the day to day tasks completed by an average player

- Shadowz1797 - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us?
A Recruiting thread on Giant In the Playground Forums
For those with roleplaying forums experience yes, but I can see it as a little daunting for those with not too much experience
Not particularly
Written, Extremely so
A prospect tournament/scouting combine so that I can see how my player stacks up
Maybe a live chat w/the rookie mentors/moderators to really make the creation process easy

- bsfvcv - 07-24-2016

1) How did you find us?
My brother (shadowz1797) was looking through GiantITP forums and found the new member recruiting call.

Yes, very. The rookie locker room makes everything very easy to find and helps a lot in guiding you through.

None at all!

I used the written tutorial, and it helped a lot. Made something that may be perceived as confusing and made it very simple.

Prospect Tournament

Maybe a thread that explains drafting and all of that stuff to help new members better understand that mechanic