Simulation Hockey League
[OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: [OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT (/showthread.php?tid=50410)

- House932 - 12-02-2016

1) How did you find us?
The Reddit recruitment post.
2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?
A bit overwhelming at first, but I'm figuring it out.
3) Did you have any trouble creating your player?
Not particularly.
4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?
I did not.
5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)
The TPE tasks are occupying me.
6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members.
I'd say continue doing what you can to make sure newcomers can find what they need. Took a bit to figure out where to do what needs to be done.

- ThePandava - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
Through reddit recruitment post

The home page is organized, but gets overwhelming when trying to find the exact topic

Nope, the youtube video was really helpful

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?
I used the video, yes it was helpful

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)
Prospect tournement would be great way to see how games are played.

I feel like there lot's of copy pasting links... there should be easier way...

- padstack - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit
Not at all
Not really
Written
I don't understand this question tbh
Make a few short tutorial vids instead of one big one

- therealcinco - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
The Reddit recruitment post
I don't have much experience with forum boards, so not really, but I think I'll get the hang of it.
Once I found out how stat building worked, it was really easy.
I used the written tutorial for my player page and the video for my updating page.
I think I need to learn what's going on and how to navigate the site before I can be an effective player.
I actually think you're good on this. Literally everyone I've talked to has told me they will help me if I PM them.

- GoJackets - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit recruitment post
2) Is the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?
I wouldn't say easy, I'm still working my way around. To me, Reddit's format was much easier to learn and just as unfriendly-looking.
Nope.
I did, and it did in fact help.
I've got no idea
Maybe include a folder on the front page for a tutorial for rookies.

- Jack_Meister - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?

The Reddit recruitment post

2) Is the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?

It's a little intimidating but the guides help with navigation

No trouble at all, the guides gave me a clear idea of what i was doing

i used the written tutorial which was very helpful and informative

I'd like to improve my statistics as well as draft position

More condensed guides rather than one guide for each different aspect. it would help with not stressing people out when they don't have more the 5 tabs open at once

- Sorator - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
The reddit recruitment post.

It takes some getting used to, but it's functional.

Not really; just took some reading and information processing.

I referenced this and this (written guides) when actually making my player, as well as a few others during and shortly after making my player. They definitely helped; I'd have been fairly lost without them!

Eh. I think I've got plenty to do in looking around and acclimating to the site, as well as point tasks and article writing.

It's minor, but... Switch the "Born" field on the player page to "Birth date/year" or the like. Right now it's a little confusing as to what exactly goes in that field.

Also, consider putting new accounts into their own user category and limit the forums they can see until their player page is approved, or maybe until they're drafted. All of the information can be overwhelming, so limiting it to what we actually need to be able to see and use in the very beginning could be helpful. (Downside is that we then don't get to see how things work in the SHL and such, but I suspect it'd be worth doing regardless; alternatively, if you can, just re-order the forum list for the new user group. Not sure if that's possible, though.)

- Castros Cigar - 12-03-2016

1) How did you find us?
The reddit thread on r/hockey.

It's not a walk in the park, buts its not overly difficult.

No, once I found my way it was pretty straight forward.

Yes, that helped me out a lot

I think a prospect tournament would be a great idea, as it would help give new players some extra experience.

Have a guid on the homepage for new players/people interested in potentially playing.

- thekingswitness - 12-04-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit via Kit on /r/nhlhut

If you've used a website like this before, yes. The rookie guide is helpful.

No, but I did have to look at other user's pages for examples

Yes, definitely

A tournament definitely sounds cool

Maybe an even more simplified beginners guide?

- Auston McJesus - 12-04-2016

1) How did you find us?
On reddit, from kit.

It took a little bit of time to get used to, but I think I've got the hang of it.

Not really, just had the look at some other players threads.

Yes I used it, and it helped a lot.

I'm mainly trying to get my player better, but something like a prospects game/tourney sounds cool.

Perhaps a tab/page just for the new members with a simple guide on how to make an account and player.

- Leoben - 12-06-2016

1) How did you find us?

VBottas17 posted on /r/hockey the other day.

At first it was not. I'm not used to all the forum jumping but doing the first point task and creating my update paged helped me get the hang of it.

Nope. The tools are very helpful.

I used the written one so I didn't have to hit pause every five seconds. Both were informative though.

Prospect tournament sounds good. Looks like Tim Elliot is in the Showcase. Still trying to figure out what that is.

Tutorials seem a little dated. I went to link my first Point Task in a thread that hadn't been used in about two years.

- Symmetrik - 12-07-2016

1) How did you find us?
Reddit recruitment thread
Not great. I'm still having trouble finding some stuff. A lot of stuff is buried in categories in categories. It can make it difficult to find, but then of course that makes it much easier to organize. Obviously with time I'm sure it will become easier.
Creating the player was pretty easy. Probably the easiest thing to do as a newcomer.
I couldn't have don it without it.
I don't really know. I'm still learning what there is to do.
Because of how complex the process is, there's not really much you can do to make it easier. Perhaps some more example threads of things like articles. Those are kind of unclear what they are and how you decide what to write about.

- dnL - 12-09-2016

1) How did you find us? I've seen it mentioned a few times on Reddit, decided to pop in and check it out.

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? Yes and no. As someone totally new to this, the idea of TPE, PT, updating players, etc. was a little confusing and took me time to re-find the information I needed.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? No, the guides were pretty slick on this.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? I did not.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. Maybe a live-chat option, somehow? One specifically for new people, maybe one for each team, as well?

- Zombiewolf - 12-09-2016

1) How did you find us?
I found this site through reddit

It is confusing at first but it gets a lot easier once you get the hang of it

No the formula was easy enough to follow

I used the written and it was easy to follow and helped a lot!

I think the tournament is a good idea. Anything that gets us involved early really.

I think more video tutorials about how to navigate the side would help. The written tutorials are good but videos gives us more visuals and I think it will help with navigation

- overworm - 12-09-2016

1) How did you find us? It was on Reddit, I wanted to check it out.

2) Is the site easy to navigate as a newcomer? Not so much. It takes some time to get used to the forum boards and informations in general.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player? No

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help? It did help.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft? I like the idea of Prospect Tournament or practice games just so we get an clearer idea of how the sim works.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members. A section that covers all the terminology of SHL and an easier access to it.