Create Account

Eyes Closed (x2 media)

I am sitting with my friends and family, even my former coach, as the sweat runs down my face. Every single ounce of energy and drop of sweat, has lead to this moment. I have worked from dawn until dusk, putting countless hours training and every weekend playing games. My life has come to such a stressful yet exciting moment.
As I wait for the commissioner to come to the stage, I continue to sit and imagine each of my greatest and favorite hockey memories. When I was just 13 I scored my first goal for my hometown Travel team. I can remember my first hat trick. I remember thinking “I just need one more”. When I heard puck deflect in off the crossbar I went crazy. As the hats filled the ice, all I could do is celebrate with my teammates and make my way back to Center Ice. I recall being asked to the locker room to find my teammates and coaches waiting. There I was presented my new jersey, embroidered with a “C”, one of the greatest honors you can receive in hockey. Last (but certainty not least), there is our championship win. Hoisting that cup above my head after the hardest fought series in my life. I pushed our team to the limit and it all finally payed off. I can say I’m proud of what my teammates and I have accomplished these last few years. And I wish them the best of luck in continuing the success.
Now as I wait for the draft, I begin to wonder what else could I have done to help improve my odds of being drafted. What could I Have done to raise my stock? Maybe it was an extra point here or there? Maybe another championship? Honestly I don’t know. I begin to regret having not accomplished more in my career so far. However, I know I can’t change the past now. One can only trust in the process and time each of these teams has put in on their boards. 
I briefly try to imagine where I will fall in the draft. How long will I have to wait in this seat before I hear my name called? Hopefully it will not be long. I also wonder which team will draft me. While I don’t have a preference where I go, I do hope my team gives me plenty of play time so I can develop. Whichever team drafts me will be making one of the best decisions they have made in recent history. And all the teams that pass on me, I want to make them regret it. I’ll prove I’m omen of the best players in this draft by any means necessary.
I close my eyes briefly and see myself in the SMJHL scoring my first goal of my major junior career. I imagine the calls form my family after that game congratulating me. I can also see me lifting the 4 Star Cup on my way to being drafting in the SHL. I don’t see myself staying in the SMJHL for long but I do intend on making my time count. 
Barring injuries, I know I will have a long career in the SHL. I have some pretty lofty goals when it comes my career. I want to play at least 700 (or more games) and I want to be a productive guy for whoever drafts me. I also want to stay with the same team my whole career, even if it means a pay cut in my older years. Maybe one day I could even wear an A or a C for my team (a guy can dream alright). 
I also have some aspirations to make it to the Hall of Fame or at least be a guy that gets considered. Maybe if I’m lucky a team will hang my number in the rafters (another dream I suppose). The future is so unpredictable that just may get all of these things done. But the one thing you don’t want to do is sleep on me. Because the moment I score the game winning goal to win the challenge cup. Or when I kill the penalty in the final minute of game seven with you down one, you will be wishing you had rather then had to play against me. 
I know it’s only a matter I’d time before I also meet my new teammates, who I will be spending a lot of time winning cups with. And if we aren’t winning cups, then we will be he closest locker room in either league. Hopefully we are close and win the cup (which I’m sure we will).
Now I finally snap out of my thoughts as my parents get my attention. The general managers are shuffling papers with names of players they intend to draft. Knowing that I am one of them reignites the fears inside me. I meet eyes with one of the scouts before he awkwardly looks away.
That’s when I see him. The commissioner. The man who runs everything from the draft to suspensions. The commissioner walks up to the podium and begins to give a brief speech about each and all of futures, and our potential allies to be great. Then he says “alright let’s get this this going”. I have one final moment of deep breath and send up one more help letter to the man upstairs. I knew my entire life had lead up to this moment. And I had laid it all on the line. This is where I find out if my hard work had paid off or not.
That’s when I heard the commissioner say those magic words. 
“And with the first pick in the 2020 SMJHL Draft the Maine Timber select...”
Here we are the moment of truth, and the only start my long and rigorous career

(1001 words)