Create Account

IIHF Teams Advancing (Double IIHF)

The field is set for the next round with eight teams advancing out of the group stage to compete for the crown.  Most of the teams that you would expect have managed to get out with the United States and Canada both winning their groups and earning the 1 seeds just as they did last year.  Team Great Britain and Team Czechia both had strong showings as well grabbing the respective two seeds, Team Austria and Team Sweden both managed strong records to a three seed and Team Japan and Team Switzerland both secured the four seed with 18 points each.

Quarter Finals Match ups

United States vs Japan - This should be a high powered offensive game for the undefeated United States team who led the tournament's group stage with 55 goals scored.  With upstart Japan facing the United States team that also gave up the least number of goals, this will be a very tough match indeed.  I do not see how the United States loses this one, my prediction is a solid beating with a score of 5-2 and an advancement for the United States to the Semi Finals.  Should Japan upset them, it would be the biggest news in the tournament and would certainly make them a dark horse to win it all.

Czechia vs Austria - many people predicted that Czechia would be a medal contender this year and their performance in the the group stage did nothing to sway that opinion.  Arguably having the easier match up against Austria, this should be an easy win for the team that scored the second most goals in the tournament.  They did give up a few which may leave them open to a bit of scoring by Austria but in the end, Czechia is the superior team in almost every facet of the game and should come away victorious.  My guess is they will get their third shot at a United States team that beat them twice in group play already.  

Canada vs Switzerland - Canada had a relatively smooth ride through the group stage but did lose three games.  They are not quite the power house that the United States is this season but they also probably played in the harder of the two groups.  Posting a solid goals differential, they should have little trouble dispatching Switzerland on their way to the semis.  Canada was considered one of the favorites to not only medal but bring home gold this year so they will need to prove that they belong in that conversation with a convincing win.

Great Britain vs Sweden - Great Britain continues to play at a high level after finishing second in their group stage last year, the followed up again this year with a similar performance.  They take on a team in Sweden that did a decent job in the group play as well.  The major difference between the two teams is the goals allowed which Sweden let up a lot more goals so they will need to play some solid defense to take out Great Britain and try to sneak into the semi finals.  Odds are that it will be Canada vs Great Britain in the next round.

Code:
532 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

Czechia the bestia

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Apparently I misunderstood how matchups work.  Not going to re write it, my bad LOL

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks