Create Account

Ruslan's Ride through International Hockey(DOUBLE IIHF)

I think it is high time i sat down to ram out some media. Especially considering how it is IIHF DOUBLE PAY media time!

With this season possibly being Ruslan's last in the IIHF. (Who knows if his position change before his final season will see him miss the roster.) I feel like going back through a lot of the history, at least as best I can. I of course want to preface this with the fact that i have cherished my time in Czechia and moving on of course means missing out on that fantastic place. Thanks Bestia. Now, onto the rundown of the International Hockey Career of the one and only Zapo the Cossack!

S53: Bestia!

Ruslan finds himself called up not only to the Toronto North Stars of the SHL following the S53 SMJHL season, but earns a spot on the 3rd line for the Czech national team. Zapo picked up a goal and an assist in the round robin as well as 12 hits. Definition of energy guy. But it helps the Czechs go 7-3-2. In the Knockout stage, he went pointless, was a minus 3, and had 2 blocked shots as they lost 5-0 to Gold medalists from America.

S54: Medals.

Ruslan returned to the roster after a solid rookie campaign that saw him nominated for rookie of the year. 3rd line again for him but it did not matter. He would Notch 3 goals and 1 assist as well as 12 penalty minutes and 18 hits. Bestia would go 8-3-1 this time. In the Knockout rounds he scored 1 goal on his only shot, was a plus 1, and had 2 hits. Czechia failed to make the finals but did beat Japan for Bronze.

S55: Falling.....

His 3rd season on the massive ice was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. Trialed out at Centre on the 3rd line proved fatally bad. 1 assist and no goals on 11 shots. Had more takeaways than giveaways, 15 hits, and what i can only assume was a dreadful faceoff percentage. Czechia managed to go 7-4-1 however. They lost in the first game of the Knockouts where Zapo was ineffective at 2 shots and 1 giveaway in only 6;46 of icetime.

S56: Close....No Cigar

Next season was a nice bounce back. Shifted to his off wing proved shining as Ruslan managed 1 goal and 3 assists on the 2nd line now. He also slammed in 20 hits into those 12 games. A new record. The team went 8-3-1 again and were looking real good. Ruslan didnt step up in the Knockouts, as he was held pointless, had 1 block and 4 hits while the Czechs lost in the Bronze Medal game to Sweden.

S57: Building

Next time up saw a small emergence for the young goal scorer. Though the team did not fair as well as years past, finishing 6-5-1. Ruslan managed a career high 6 goals to go with a solitary assist as the finisher on the 2nd line. He also improved in his own end with 25 hits and 6 shots blocked. In the Knockouts, life was not kind. Ruslan went minus 2 with 1 hit and 1 block while Bestia fell to eventual gold medal winners Canada.

S58: Pinnacle......for Ruslan

S58 is THE season Ruslan will likely be most remembered for in both SHL and IIHF play. Making the jump to both powerplay time and 1st line minutes for the Czechs. Scoring 6 goals yet again, however raising his playmaking to notch a career high 8 assists for 14 points. His greatest total to date. Through in another 25 hits and he helped the Boys from Bohemia to a 6-4-2 record. It was another story in the Knockouts as he was held off the sheet but had 3 hits and 1 shot block while they fell to Canada again.

S59: Reversal?

The final season of the S50s felt like a downer all around. Toronto took a step back, Ruslan took a step back, and Czechia took a step back. For the 3rd straight season Zapo scored 6 goals, but he only managed 2 assists. He nailed 23 hits, 5 shot blocks, and got beat up once. The team only went 7-5-0 but made the knockouts. Here the Cossack ran roughshod over the competition. 2 goals and 2 assists as well as 11 hits while Czechia made a stunning splash into silver. After beating the pants off of the US 5-2 and sneaking a 5-4 Overtime win over the Swiss, the Bestia forever run came to a halt with Japan winning 2-1 for Gold.

S60: A new hope?

New decade, new hopes. Ruslan was starting to settle in with only 5 goals but 6 assists for 11 points, 26 hits, and 7 blocks. Czech team was a little better too with an 7-5-0 record that didnt feel like last season's. Knockouts were back to normal though. No points, and 5 hits but the Czechs let Bronze slip away from them.

S61: The fall...

Ruslan's 4th and last 6 goal campaign comes in here. He also had 3 assists for 9 points, 25 hits, and 6 blocks but was a brutal -8 as Bestia went 3-9-0 with only Latvia being worse. There were no Knockouts for us.

S62: Darker.

For Zapo, things were starting to fall off a bit. He seemed off with only 2 goals and 21 hits. The team went 5-6-1 and finished just outside of the Knockouts. But they were dragging him like an anchor.

S63: Hot and Cold.

63 here saw a general uptick for him. He did better in the SHL and here for Czechia too. He scored 3 goals, potted 3 helpers, had a ridiculous 31 hits while becoming a literal wrecking ball. However, Czechia went 5-7-0 to miss the medal rounds yet again.

S64: Rise.

Whilst last season was not too much more successful for him in the league, International play felt like a small escape. Make no mistake, Ruslan was no better with his half a point per game pace. 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points is solid but this was with less time on ice. 7 Blocks and a brutal 44 hits in only 12 games though. Czechia went 5-6-1 to sneak back in. Unfortunately it was a typical story for him in the Knockouts. Czechia faced Canada. No points, 3 hits, 1 blocked shot, and a big ol' L.

S65: Redemption?????

With only 2 games left in the S65 Round Robin, Ruslan is on pace for his best season since S61. At 5 goals and 2 Assists for 7 points. He also has a career high 17 penalty minutes, including a fight which he won. Additionally he has 31 hits and 8 shots blocked. So he has not begun to slow down yet. The Big Bad Bohemians are 7-3 with games against Canada (who they've beaten this Tournament 2-1.) as well as Germany who are struggling. Could it be possible that the Bestia team will snag Gold? I'll leave it here for those of you to tune in.

This is for the big money as well as i guess a small honour piece for my time in that historic place.

(1211 word for grading)

[Image: CptSquall.gif]