Create Account

Interviewing the last draft pick of the s68 SMJHL Draft (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2022, 04:23 AM by Zap. Edited 5 times in total. Edit Reason: edits )

Hello this is Ron Burgundy here with SMJHL Hockey News and today we have a newly drafted player from the St. Louis Scarecrows with us, Matthew LeClaire. 
Hello Matthew, how are you doing? RB

Hey Ron thanks for having me. I am doing really great. It's been a pleasure being in the league so far and I'm grateful to be in the position where I am today. ML

So let's be honest, did you really expect to be the very last pick in the draft? RB

Honestly, no. I did not think I would be the very last pick. When I started to see teams skipping their picks I was starting to get really nervous. And then almost every team started skipping picks. It was a very odd experience seeing this while being an extremely active first gen. It was only down to like three or four teams left that hasn't passed and it was very nerve-racking to say the least. I was invited to participate in the draft and almost walked away empty. It was not a good feeling being a new player. ML

Well, you did get drafted Matthew. You were drafted in the sixth round pick number 79 to the St Louis Scarecrows! How do you feel about the going to St Louis to play hockey? RB

You know Ron it feels awesome. It feels really really good to be coming to this city. It's a very respectable hockey city and the fans are great here. The team did pretty well last season but they've had some players move up to the SHL. So I'm here to help with that void and try to win us some hockey games in the upcoming SMJHL season. ML

How was meeting your teammates for the first time like? RB

When I walked into the St. Louis Scarecrows locker room for the first time for our first practice, I was extremely nervous. When I walked through the locker room doors the whole team was there cheering at me. "The Steal of the draft" they would chant. It became a loud chant in the locker room "The Steal Of The Draft" over and over again. It was surprising but amazing at the same time. They welcomed me to the team immediately. I couldn't be happier being in this locker room. We have a great locker room atmosphere and culture. ML

So Matthew I think being the very last pick in this whole draft, you really have something to prove, don't you? RB

Exactly. My goal right now is to show GM's that hitting skip or pass on their selections, specifically me, will be the biggest mistake that they have done in this draft. History will be written from this. And you said it exactly right Ron. I have a lot to prove this season and I'm going to be proving it to them with every single game in this upcoming season. Nothing has motivated me more than being drafted last. ML

I can see the fire in your eyes (laughs) well, the preseason is starting soon. Do you have any special kind of routines or workouts that you're doing right now to improve your development and to get ready for the season? RB

Yeah, actually. I've been practicing hockey three times a day and exercising. Increasing my workouts. I've been really developing really hard with the coaching staff and making sure that my game will be up to par, maybe a little bit more once the season does start. I'm just exercising a lot more. Eating healthy. Not drinking alcohol and  I'm preparing myself mentally, physically, and spiritually. I am more motivated than ever. ML

There you have it folks. That's Matthew LeClaire from the St Louis Scarecrows. You Stay classy SHL, I'm Ron Burgundy? RB

634 words.

Welcome to St Louis!

Keep that fire in your eyes and use that motivation on the ice. We will need you to score goals and that's why we drafted you.

Your head have to stay focus on the team and keep the off ice drama out of your life, that way, everyone will be happy and we may have a good rebuilding season Smile

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

STEAL OF THE DRAFT!