Create Account

IIHF Predictions

With the IIHF right around the corner, what better thing to do than post some predictions that are 100% going to be wrong. Last season was full of surprises as Norway beat Russia for the gold medal, two teams I think very few people expected to be in the gold medal game. Will they be able to repeat their feats? Can Canada and Finland go back to their gold medal game ways? Can the USA actually make the playoffs? Lets run through some predictions

Group A: Finland, Canada, Russia, Switzerland, Czechia, Germany, Latvia

I honestly think Group A is the tougher group of the two. While I think Latvia will continue to struggle through their rebuild, the other 6 teams all have a legitimate chance at making some noise in this tournament. Lets do a quick predictions rundown on the 7 teams

7th: Latvia Latvia 
Latvia is the youngest team in Group A and I believe the second youngest overall in IIHF. Lilstifler has done a great job building for the future, and while they will likely struggle this season, they could become more of a force over the next few seasons as their young prospects start coming up. This season, expect Roderic Banes to be the face of the team as both ends of the ice, while Chimkin Wing and Mats Marner will likely pace the team in scoring

6th: Russia Russia 
Yes I know its bold to put the silver medal winner at 6th, but my main worry about Russia is how top heavy their team is. They have great forwards in Perevalov, Cue, and Podcalzone, some solid defenseman in O’Duck and Askarov, and an elite goalie in Petrov, but with half their defense being made of SMJHL players depth could certainly be an issue here.

5th: Germany Germany 
I absolutely think Germany is capable of the playoffs, but I think the other 4 teams ahead of them are just a bit stronger. The Germans are going to be very difficult to score on, with Karsikko in net, and defenseman like Kahnwald and Murphy in front of him. Unfortunately, FHM8 tends to reward offense over defense, thus leaving the Germans just outside. Scoring wise, expect Selich and Haschdi to lead the way.

4th: Switzerland Switzerland 
Winners of a gold medal just a few seasons ago, I think the Swiss can sneak into the playoffs yet again here. This team has some strong offensive contributors in Barengrub, Lilja, and Jarrow, and a great defensive presence led by Beck. Montague is in net for the Swiss, coming off an incredible season in Winnipeg. The Swiss are coming in hot and should be fun to watch this tournament.

3rd: Czechia Czechia 
You could make a case that the gold medal is already locked up as new IIHF commissioner Artermis is likely going to rig the tournament in favor of Czechia. But assuming he has some integrity, the Czechs should still have a strong showing regardless. A team full of all stars like McFife XVIII, Blanchet, Assist King Svoboda, and goalie Brick Wall, the Czechs look as strong as they ever have. Keep an eye on Larkin-Conway to provide some highlight reel goals as well

2nd: Canada Canada 
It’s never a good idea to bet against Canada, and anything below 2nd and some kind of medal will likely be a disappointment to America’s Hat. The depth this team has is staggering, as their offense has names like Manning, Kevens, Strongo, and Kristjansson, and their defense is led by players such as Blouin, Beanman, Jammin, and Pale. The achilles heel for this team is in net, as St. Louis Scarecrows player and Texas Renegades prospect Anthony Dionne is likely their starter. We’ve seen goalies play well in the IIHF before getting in any SHL experience, but its certainly Canada’s biggest question mark.

1st: Finland Finland 
The Finns are back again, looking to dominate another IIHF tournament. Coming off a bronze medal, this team knows it can win gold, and the roster they have would tend to agree. Kampainen, Kekkonen, Rashford, and Hinata are just some of the forwards on this loaded team, with talented players like Truck and Seppala likely in a bottom 6 role, which is crazy depth. On defense, they are led by O’Neil, with defensive wall Makela also in support. In net the duo of Mat Smith and Harry Carpet return, two Finnish legends ready to go to work. Anything less than a silver will likely be a disappointment for this team.

Group B: Norway, Sweden, Japan, Great Britain, United States, Ireland, Austria

Group B feels a bit more open, with Norway looking to pull off another hail mary, Sweden as dominant as ever, and Japan, the UK, and the USA looking to regain their form. Who can pull it off? Lets go to the predictions

7th: Ireland Ireland 
I think Ireland, knee deep in a rebuild, expects this spot, but that’s the reality of rebuilding. They are adding a ton of strong prospects and in 5-6 seasons they will really be ready to compete with the top teams. Ty Murphy will be carrying the load for the team this season, with support from McBride, Harrier, and Mew Two. Brooks will be the star on defense, and expect San Francisco prospect Caleb Hayden to be their starter in net.

6th: Austria Austria 
Austria finished last in last seasons tournament, and while I think they can improve, I don’t think theyre playoff ready. They may have more depth issues than any team, but they have some great top end talent. Hefeweizen had a great season in Winnipeg, and Hundertwasser and Mackenzie will certainly score plenty as well. On defense, look for Withecheck to stand out alongside Boots, and Minnesota’s Gundogan will be the starter in net.

5th: Norway norway 
Again, bold to put the gold medal winner at 5th, but I see Norway struggling a bit more this season assuming all other teams play to their potential. Norway of course has the star duo of Gobbledygook and Lillehammersson, but don’t count out Mandosson, Fiske, and Knight. Norway is all offense, which tends to do well in this format, but there are of course defensive concerns. Noodle will lead the way on defense alongside Murphy and Olsen, but the rest of their defense will be SMJHL players, including Buffalo prospect and Quebec City player Skovgaard. In net is likely a mix of Texas start Kavanagh and Calgary backup Stopper. I think Norway will miss the playoffs, but I do hope they prove me wrong.

4th: Japan Japan 
It’s been ten seasons since the glory days of Japan, and while I think they make the playoffs, I don’t expect much beyond that. They have a surprisingly deep roster, with stars such as Jones, Minamino, Gretzky, Allbran, and Kawashima on offense, and Sato and Okamoto on defense. They do have some new additions such as Koivu, Iskandrov, and Calavera that add some depth, and two solid goalies in Philadelphia’s Pack and Baltimore’s Devoir. They should put up a strong showing this season, but I don’t expect a medal to return to Japan.

3rd: United States Usa 
On paper the USA should be medal contenders every season, but in practice they continue to disappoint. I think they have the potential to get 2nd in this group, but 3rd feels more realistic if they fire on all cylinders. They are led by defenseman Hagan, Doom, and Gatez, and with Time and Chamberlain in net they will look to show, much like Germany, that defense does win medals. Now that’s not to say that lack firepower, as Hale, Raiden, and Jeziak are proven offensive threats. I don’t think the USA medals this season, but a playoff appearance here would go a long way to proving that the USA is capable of winning

2nd: Great Britain Uk 
The prodigal son returns. With Bromanov back, we may be seeing the days of UK dominance returning to the IIHF. Under his first reign, the Brits were perennial medal winners, but after a few slower seasons, they look to be back in full force. Led by forwards Jager and Lebedev, they will certainly be piling on goals. Of course they have plenty of other high quality forwards as well, such as Speedwagon, Slate, and Snooks. On defense they are led by Svechnikov, leader of Manhattan’s elite defense. Alongside him are Fischermann, Sink, Ramsbottom, and Nishimori. The Brits are a team that can beat you at both ends of the ice, but much like Canada goalie is their biggest flaw. They are likely going with SMJHL duo Alexis Texas and Jeff Newman, and while players have had successful IIHF seasons in their callup season, we have not seen a lot of true SMJHL players have that success. Will Texas and Newman prove us all wrong? Only time will tell.

1st: Sweden Sweden 
While Sweden went out in the first round last season, this roster is absolutely stacked. When your projected third pairing defense is Samuelsson and Yxskaft, you know your team is loaded. Forward wise Lind, Maple, Moose, and Gunnarsson are likely going to lead the way, but expect strong depth contributions from Olubori and Soderberg-Tremblay. On defense, they are led by another defensive wall, Bjerg, likely paired with Pengu. In goal they have the best tandem in the IIHF with St. Ark and Miller. This Sweden team is loaded, and looking to get that elusive gold medal

Gold Medal Prediction: Sweden Sweden 
And I think they get it. Their roster is absolutely stacked to the point Farquaads is technically their 7th D at 1058 TPE. They have high performers at all positions and I think it’s finally the season that Sweden bring the gold home.

So what do you agree or disagree with? Reply down below or send me angry messages on Discord. Good luck to everyone this IIHF!

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Smh

[Image: izzy.PNG]

Finland

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Yeah wish I can uncapped before the tournament... Next time it will be different Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

12-28-2022, 04:23 PMAnthique Wrote: Yeah wish I can uncapped before the tournament... Next time it will be different Wink
Idk if the rules have changed but if you're being called up next season you can typically do a uncap build just for IIHF before you do your official uncap.

12-28-2022, 05:07 PMBfine Wrote:
12-28-2022, 04:23 PMAnthique Wrote: Yeah wish I can uncapped before the tournament... Next time it will be different Wink
Idk if the rules have changed but if you're being called up next season you can typically do a uncap build just for IIHF before you do your official uncap.

Ohhh.... that would be really nice! Don't know anything about it so I would need a confirmation on this!

12-28-2022, 05:52 PMAnthique Wrote:
12-28-2022, 05:07 PMBfine Wrote: Idk if the rules have changed but if you're being called up next season you can typically do a uncap build just for IIHF before you do your official uncap.

Ohhh.... that would be really nice! Don't know anything about it so I would need a confirmation on this!
Hey, IIHF Streamer here. Submit a build to your fed head and they should be able to get it added. Do it sooner rather than later because they're putting the file together now.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

12-30-2022, 04:46 PM_Blitz_ Wrote:
12-28-2022, 05:52 PMAnthique Wrote: Ohhh.... that would be really nice! Don't know anything about it so I would need a confirmation on this!
Hey, IIHF Streamer here. Submit a build to your fed head and they should be able to get it added. Do it sooner rather than later because they're putting the file together now.

Already done! Aaron talked to me today and we submitted it Smile So we are good  Canada

Mentioned by @Bfine in media :peepodreamy:

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, we're not taking second place. We're taking first

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Unleash the Baku Sweden

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022, 01:20 PM by artermis. Edited 1 time in total.)

What the fuck is this

(Third party disclaimer: I am not actually upset, you're just witnessing some mud flinging)

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

12-31-2022, 06:23 AMRashfordU Wrote: Mentioned by @Bfine in media :peepodreamy:
I wasn't even mentioned and I'm his fed head! Would've been free +10 words

[Image: izzy.PNG]

12-31-2022, 01:19 PMartermis Wrote: What the fuck is this

(Third party disclaimer: I am not actually upset, you're just witnessing some mud flinging)
I said what I said