Create Account

(X2 DRAFT MEDIA) Re-view of S71 SHL draft top picks

S72 SHL draft nearly ended and I didn't follow it that much, so I decided to look back at picks from S71 SHL draft. It was a draft class where my player was as well, so it's always more interesting for me as a writer. Hopefully, I will be able to make a second part of this as well. This time, we will look at top five picks of this exact draft.

Grizzlies ---> pride 
First overall pick in S71 draft was right wing forward Levin Schattenaxt from Great Falls "Grizzlies". He was selected by San Francisco "Pride". He's still pretty active and is near 500 TPE mark (at 493 right now). Debuted in SMJHL late in S69 and playes in total of 12 games in the regular season. In S70 and S71 he was pretty consistent. In both of those seasons he got in total of 38 points, but wasn't even close to the leaders of his squad, not even mentioning the entire league. In S70 "Grizzlies" finished regular season in fifth spot, but the last season was kinda of a disaster - last place in the entire league. Not a scoring machine, but does a lot of stuff which does not show up in statistics. Great in hitting, average in faceoffs - a role player. Hard to say yet if this was the right pick for San Francisco, but it was the obvious one. It's a re-create, so there isn't big risk to lose him due inactivity. However, he hasn't proven yet that he is capable of being a leader one day. At least, he is not doing that in SMJHL right now. Hopefully, he can improve himself and be worth of that first overall pick one day. Not W pick, but a decent one for sure.

Elk ---> Stars 
Second overall pick was owned by Toronto "North Stars" and they chose another right wing forward - Mercedes Baylé from Regina "Elk". Next update will put him at 560 TPE already. Hard to say he is a steal of this draft, since only one team passed on him, but right now he's a bit better than dude who got picked over him. However, last season was a bit worse for him than his junior year. In S70 he had 53 points in SMJHL, but in previous just 42. "Elk" was a pretty mid team in both of these seasons. He can score, assist and hit. Of course, it's all a bit non-objective, since I'm a member of "North Stars" as well. However, he's a long time user here as well and risk of being inactive is pretty small. W pick in my opinion and at this point - it was worth it. Probably will have an opportunity to play in the same line with him one day.

Malamutes ---> Blizzard 
Third overall pick - left side defender Furious Chicken from Yukon "Malamutes" was selected by Edmonton "Blizzard". The name of the player is just "wow". Funny how the pick was owned by Toronto though. Imagine if they would have back to back loterry picks in this draft. However, nice pick-up for Edmonton. Consistent defender who doesn't go for individual accolades and puts all his effort in to the defense. Team player who can do almost anything, except score. Got couple of goals, but pretty much does everything that selfish players won't do. Next update will put him at 591 TPE already, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. Probably running for that 2K TPE club accomplishment one day. W pick for sure.

Knights ---> pride 
Another draft lotter ypick by San Francisco "Pride" - right wing forward Logan Webb from Kelowna "Knights" was selected with fourth overall. First SMJHL season he ended up with 47 points, but in the second season got slightly better - 62 points. Kelowna was mainly living at the bottom of the standings those seasons though. Bad in faceoffs, but great in hitting and assisting goals. Spends a lot of time on ice in powerplays. Next update will allow him to have 582 TPE already. Definitely a safe pick, since he is here almost from the beginning of this project. Not much to say here - simple pick, but still a W for "Pride".

Scarecrows ---> pride 
TOP 5 ended up with San Francisco "Pride" picking another forward - Dominik Winters from St. Louis "Scarecrows". Seems like San Francisco went all in on forwards in this one. Next update will get him a total of 569 TPE, which isn't bad. Active and invested user with a low risk of inactivity. 44 points in SMJHL rookie season, 57 in the previous one. "Scarecrows" ended season in the last place in his debut season and was mid the previos one. Decent player with no specific weaknesses. Right now it seems like "Pride" did good with their three lottery picks and they definitely were worth it. However, the time will tell the truth.

811 words

Stars Stars Stars