Create Account

S72 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time

Nick Larsson had a relatively successful rookie season all things considered. While playing in a 3rd line role, he put up a solid 50 points in 66 games and had a rookie leading plus minus of +29. As a team, the Whalers were very good in the regular season but fell short in the playoffs, falling in their first matchup. One of the goals for Larsson was to improve his draft position between the SMJHL and SHL drafts, and this was moderately successful, as he was picked #38 by Vancouver in the SMJHL and #36 by Chicago in the SHL. For the future, Nick Larsson would like to increase his point total, but most importantly focus on team success and make sure the Whalers are more successful in the next playoff stint. He is hoping for 25+ goals and 70+ points as Larsson enters his second season in the SMJHL. Though these goals are lofty, with the experience he gained as a rookie along with his continued development, they may be within reach if all goes well this season.

Given that it was Kenny Omega's first ever season as a pro hockey player, he wasn't really sure what to expect in terms of how well he would perform. Obviously, he wanted to do well in order to show he could definitely be successful and contribute to his team, but he also knew there would be a bit of a learning curve getting back into the sport after not having played it in a long while. He also had to get adjusted to a new position, as when he was younger he normally played goalie, but now he was playing on the wings. It also didn't help that while Detroit are a team he is proud to be playing for and all his teammates are fantastic people, they weren't in their best form last season, and it took them a while to even get their first win. All in all, when you look at his stats, he did pretty well under the circumstances. 11 goals and 19 assists for a total of 30 points from 66 games is more than he thought he would be able to accomplish. Sure, the +/- wasn't fantastic, but Kenny believes with the improvements that Detroit are looking to make for this upcoming season, that won't be the case with him anymore. Overall, it was a season that came with a lot of struggle, but also one he won't forget anytime soon, because he was able to contribute to his team playing a game that he loves.

Code:
Word count: 251 words

[Image: RaidTheArcade.gif]

Coming back after switching sim engines sure did make me completely off on my predictions as I was expecting to struggle more. Part of this was of course was my role as first line center for whole team as there had been opening in the middle. So scoring almost 50 points during my rookie season would have felt great if only stats of other rookies make it clear that it was well behind the top of the league as the new sim engine has indeed increased the scoring quite a lot.

For next season I hope to specially improve on defensive side of the game but that is also a team effort and for now I think we are in way better spot than where we ended up last season, with strong start to preseason making that even more clear. And while focus for the improvement might be at defense I can't say I would not be expecting an improvement when it comes to point totals during this season being at lower cap, though sharing ice time bit more evenly with Barron might have negative impact on my scoring I expect it will make us better as a team.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

My Rookie season went off without a hitch. The Armada were middling, but went to game 7 in the first round of the playoffs. I went 42 points in 66 games in my rookie year, and in my 7 playoff games, I scored 5 clutch goals. Expectedly, I dropped in the draft. Truthfully, I talked to Los Angeles Panthers, New England Wolfpack, Philadelphia Forge and Texas Renegades prior to the big day. I had no idea who would choose me. I knew I wouldn't be going in round 1, but as pick #30 approached, and some of the aforementioned teams passed on me, I knew I had probably not helped my draft stock with my zesty attitude, and blunt answers. But then, 30th overall, the Atlanta Inferno decided to take a chance on me. I've spoken with their general manager a great few times, so I knew he saw greatness in me - I will mark my words, be the steal of the draft. Like a great fighter once said, I'm not here to take part- I'm here to take over.

A rookie season is always really hard. You move to a new city, have new teammates and you never really know how the fans are going to welcome you. My first season in Kelowna was fine. It is not an experience that I am going to write home about, but it also wasn’t the worst year of juniors you could ever have. On a personal growth level, I made the most of the season by really getting in good reps on game day. Capitalizing on ice time to grow the strengths in my game. However, on the other side of the coin, we didn’t have a very successful season from a team output perspective. Winning games and getting to the playoffs is a really important factor to me. I want to be playing in games when they matter and challenging the best in the world for their spot at the top of the league. We certainly didn’t have a deep run in the playoffs in my rookie season and as a result I was overall disappointed in my entire rookie campaign.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

The season was okay with a young Detroit team. Mephi could have performed a bit better but got some goals which was good.
My last player was very well-rounded and a selfless player in many regards, while I want the team to be as good as possible with my player included, the goal for this player is to be a bigger offensive threat all the time. If I have to set some goals for the coming season it's to produce the most offensively of all our defensemen, if not with overall points the most goals of our defensemen.
For the new season, Mephi will pose one of the longest-range shots in the J league which he hopes he can show off netting sold amounts of goals. His focus will be to pucks to the net from the blue line and either score himself or make chances for his teammates to slap in some rebounds

RETIRED

Quote:Task: You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season? Were there any glorious moments that will forever be enshrined in your memory? (150 words min.)

Overall, it was a whatever season.
Offensively, I’d say it was a bit of a failure, but only because of goal scoring. 5 goals on 77 shots is bad, and 77 shots is worse. There definitely needs to be an increase in shots on goal from Jae-ik this upcoming season. That means getting to a place where he feels like he can reliably help the team by shooting instead of passing. For what he wants to be at the SHL level, having a good shot in your repertoire is something that is downright required.
Defensively, I think Jae-ik played to his strengths. He had the highest +/- of anyone on the team, albeit still a negative (-2). That says more about the general level of play of the team than anything personal I think, as the Great Falls Grizzlies were a squad that were coming together last season and beginning to take the first steps to being a high-calibre team. Jae-ik also put up decent advanced stats, considering.
In all, I think he’ll need to focus on improving his offense while maintaining his strong defensive play. Being a legitimate two-way threat is what I consider the main throughline for this player and there’s no reason that can’t begin to make itself known in the SMJHL.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

It was all-in all a solid rookie season for Five-Hole Sieve. Despite entering the league right before the start of the season and being a bit behind his classmates in training, the net-minder played in a bit under half of his team's games, with a 14-12 record. Sieve faced 1094 shots and saved 988 of them for a very good .903 save percentage. In fact, that save percentage played him 2nd in the entire league, behind only Kay Lee's .905, as only 4 goalies finished with a .900 or better save percentage. He recorded 1 shutout and had an average game rating of 77. He finished 10th among goalies with at least 30 games played in goals against average at 3.79. As a backup who will be starting this coming season, we'll see if these positive numbers were a byproduct of limited playing time and matchups, or if Five-Hole Sieve is as good as advertised. Personally, according to Sieve's representatives, nothing but an SMJHL All-Star nod will do.
(168 words)

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

Reflecting on my inaugural season in the SMJHL, I believe I performed admirably as a rookie. While there were challenges and a learning curve, I managed to meet most of the expectations I had set for myself. My dedication to training and adapting to the team's dynamics contributed to my individual growth. However, there's always room for improvement. I recognize the need to enhance my stamina and sharpen certain skills to compete at an even higher level in the upcoming season. The feedback from coaches and senior players has been invaluable, providing clear insights into areas where I can refine my game. Among the countless experiences, some glorious moments stand out, scoring my first goal, a thrilling game-winning play, and the camaraderie forged in the locker room. These memories will forever be enshrined in my mind, fueling my determination to elevate my performance and contribute even more significantly in the seasons to come.

I think that my first Simulation Major Junior Hockey League season with the Anchorage Armada went pretty well overall. The Armada were pretty average throughout the season and ended up losing in game seven to the Yukon Malamutes in the first round. Sim Wen got to improve his offensive game throughout the season as he played up as a forward which really helped my point total. I did not have very high expectations so this was a very welcome surprise and I'm sure glad to have had the opportunity. For next season I need to improve my defensive play since I will likely be back on the blueline so I will need to kick it into high gear and learn the art of becoming a shutdown defenseman so I can be useful in the Simulation Hockey League once I am called up. There wasn't really a stand out moment from the season so I will use the aforementioned game seven loss as motivation for the next season.

167 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023, 08:05 AM by Rtpc31.)

I came into my first season in the J with the Carolina Kraken with no idea what to expect, but came out very pleased with my first season. I had a decent rookie year with 11 goals and 22 assists through the regular season while playing 3rd line minutes. After a soul crushing loss in the playoffs where we blew a 3-0 series lead, it was on to the draft for me. I was fortunate enough to get drafted by Seattle in the 2nd round and hope to be a big part of the future success there. This upcoming season I'm trying my hand as a defenseman to fill a need on our team and to increase my ice time on an already deep squad at forward. The best part, hands down, has been meeting my squiddie friends in the Carolina locker room and being a part of the great culture there. Ready to knock it out of the park for my 2nd season. LFG  Kraken

168 words

My client, Xavier Beausoleil of the Colorado Raptors, is immensely proud of his outstanding rookie season performance, and rightfully so. He concluded the regular season with over a point per game, totaling an impressive 30 goals and delivering an astonishing 264 hits across 66 games. Beausoleil left an indelible mark on the ice.

His contributions extended beyond the game itself. Assigned the role of assistant captain at the beginning of the season, he played a pivotal role in fostering a positive locker room atmosphere, particularly with his rookie teammates, Jussi Mutou and Update Portal. Despite only one season in the SMJHL, Beausoleil is already considered a veteran in this youthful team. He understands the importance of setting an example for the newcomers.

With this year's draft bringing a substantial influx of fresh talent to the club, Xavier Beausoleil must now lead by example, whether or not he wears a letter on his jersey, to ensure the Colorado Raptors regain their fearsome reputation.

162 words

Xavier Beausoleil
Raptors
Position RW
Height : 6.5ft
Weight : 236lbs
[Image: Takk806.gif] [Image: sf4IwSc.gif]

Truthfully, Betzee went into their rookie season having very high expectations and was ultimately upset when she did not reach them. Not knowing what to expect, I thought the possibility to be the best was something to come within a rookie season.  Betzee was able to secure 29 points consisting of 11 goals and 18 assists within the 66 games of preseason. The main goal I had was to be a monster on the ice and be a top goal scorer. Despite the best efforts, unfortunately, this did not happen. With this expectation that I had within my rookie season, I have decided to not have those expectations in season 2 and just trying to improve and be better.

As for Carolina, I was honestly very pleased on our season. As we did not make it as far as we wanted, I do believe that in the upcoming season Carolina will be the team to beat. Betzee moving up from her rookie season will help Carolina get to this point of succeeding.

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]

I had very little in the way of expectations for my first season in the SMJHL, though I was rather pleased to see the Unspeakable Horror put up some very nice stats defensively. I've been told that the most important metric for defensive players is hits, or at least that is how my team is employing me, so I am very content with 145. Excitingly, the Horror ended up placing in the top ten in takeaways, which I think is important, so that's really cool! Unfortunately, on the personal side of things, I don't think I was able to be as involved in the SHL as I was hoping to be, so while I didn't miss very much in the way of earning TPE, I still didn't quite make things work with Chicago. However, I was really happy that Nevada did a good job, and I'm excited to go into the next season at the limit for TPE.