Create Account

[2x Draft media] an interview with kaarlo koivunen

Scene opens on a man in his late 20s appearing on screen of a YouTube video. He smiles as he gets ready for this intro.

TheSHLGuy
Hello everyone in Calgary, my name is Jeremy but you all know me better as TheSHLGuy on YouTube and today I've managed to snag another fantastically promising SHL prospect for you guys. Today we're having an online interview with season 74 SHL prospect 36th overall pick made by the Calgary Dragons, finnish defensemen super star Kaarlo Koivunen! Kaarlo, how are you doing today?

Kaarlo Koivunen
Doing Fine myself today thanks for asking

TheSHLGuy
Good to hear that everything is fine! I'm sure the Calgary Dragons fans will be happy to have multiple interviews with Dragon's prospects for a few videos in a row. Thank you so much for accepting to do this interview! Speaking of Calgary, what do you think of the organization so far?

Kaarlo Koivunen
I think its been nice everyone seems to have accepted me and we are having amazing moments there.

TheSHLGuy
Some good locker room chemistry right off the bat it seems! That's great news for Calgary and all the Calgary fans out there. Kaarlo, you were drafted 36th in the SHL draft, meanwhile you were drafted in the fourth round at 49th overall in the SMJHL draft. That's a massive bit of improvement there! What do you think made you jump up to be drafted so much higher than in the SMJHL?

Kaarlo Koivunen
I think it was mostly because i came from unknown leagues to most Junior scouts and GMs meaning they didn't really hear of me but when during the juniors then the SHL scouts could watch me play while the junior scouts couldn't hope this makes sense to the people back home.

TheSHLGuy
Of course! A big difference in scouting surely would help to see people recognize your talents! I suppose it's lucky then that the Malamutes were able to draft you back in the J. Speaking of the Malamutes, you just came off a surprisingly deep playoff run with them losing out in the semifinals. How did you feel about last season's playoffs? How do you think Yukon will do this next season?

Kaarlo Koivunen
it was quite suprising most of us in yukon were expecting us to not make playoffs at all or if making the playoffs we would fall right at the first round none of us expected a semi finals apperance and yukon has a lot of young talent in their team so i feel like yukon will improve every season for these few years so im expecting that the regular season at least could do better

TheSHLGuy
That's great to hear! Best of luck to Yukon in that regard then. A better regular season is a fantastic goal to have for a team. Hopefully it converts into more playoff success. Speaking of goals however, do you have any particular goals for the upcoming season?

Kaarlo Koivunen
my goals for next season are pretty simple helping the team play better defence and offence wise and make some game winner goals

TheSHLGuy
Simple sometimes if often elegant and useful! Just taking the time to pick up on some defense for the entire time while you look to also improve on your offense to hopefully score more game winning goals is noble. You clearly want to be the star with that statement. Do game winning goals mean a lot to you? Or are you simply happy to just score and help the team win overall?

Kaarlo Koivunen
It definently feels nice when you make a tie breaking goal or a ot game winner and every goal is fun can't deny that just those ot game winners feel the best knowing you directly helped the team win that game

TheSHLGuy 
Well there you have it folks, Kaarlo wants the glory! He laughs Nothing wrong with that of course, I'm sure that the energizing feeling of a late tie breaking goal or an Overtime winner must feel like a drug sometimes. Calgary made a lot of picks during this draft, I'm told 6 total overall, have you been talking to your new teammates often?

Kaarlo Koivunen
have been trying to talk to them at all times i can since helping build that chemistry already will definently help us play better in the future at the SHL

TheSHLGuy
Fantastic, if anything, chemistry has proven to be a big factor for many young and upcoming teams like Yukon and Québec. Going out of your way to make sure you're all on the same page is sure to pay dividends. Speaking of the Mutes and Calgary though, how different was the Calgary off season training camp compared to Yukon's? Sonja mentioned it was a lot harder than Québec's. Do you agree with that sentiment?

Kaarlo Koivunen
it definently was since the goalies and basically everyone expect the new guys there are just a lot better then in the juniors and also its still that the people there are unkown and me personally its hard for me to get along with new people

TheSHLGuy
Of course, with the talent being so much more elevated it's definitely going to be a harder time to do what you need to. Hopefully you've learned a lot from the camp though and will be able to use it to elevate the Malamutes to the next level. How did you celebrate the draft?

Kaarlo Koivunen
i did put up a sauna (For those who don't know its basically a hot room and sometimes Finns celebrate with going there also a lot of times you also have drinks there) and got some alcohol to celebrate me being drafted with my relatives and friends at my house

TheSHLGuy
Ah yes the sauna, a perfect way to relax. Also, that perfectly leans into my next question! So you've already gone out to celebrate back home? How happy were family and friends to hear that you got drafted and got drafted pretty high?

Kaarlo Koivunen
everyone in the room was pretty happy for me and already asking when my jerseys will be on sale to buy them that definently was one crazy night.

TheSHLGuy
Sounds like you have an extremely supportive group back at home! Do you plan to travel elsewhere this offseason? Or is it back to the hockey grind as soon as possible.

Kaarlo Koivunen
I will definently visit finland back home and visit my old junior team as a draftee and after that it is back to the hockey grind preparing for another season

TheSHLGuy
That sounds like a lovely experience to have, do you have any words you'd like to share with the audience here as our final question of the day?

Kaarlo Koivunen
I would say for finns: Torilla tavataan And for everyone here trust in your dreams you might make the SHL like i did

TheSHLGuy
If I may ask very quickly, what does that mean in finnish?

Kaarlo Koivunen
Meet at the market its basically everytime finland wins something its said and people go there to celebrate the victory or sometimes its just used to refer when finland is mentioned at like a really popular show

TheSHLGuy
Ah! A lovely expression indeed! Hopefully you get to Meet at the market after a win in Calgary! In anycase, that's all the time we have for today folks. Thank very much for the interview Kaarlo, I hope you have a fantastic time in Calgary and good luck next season in Yukon!

Kaarlo Koivunen
Thank you for having me here

The video ends
Credits for NaomiMannequeen for the idea and helping me do this
1305 words

[Image: cVahF90.png]

Koivunen Koivunen Koivunen. Good luck in CGY