Create Account

Song Ju-Gong: The Boy from Busan [2x Draft Media]

Song Ju-gong: The Boy from Busan
The journey and story of one of the SMJHL's top and most unlikely goalie prospects

A Train to Seoul
A gentle rumble echoes across the train car, bouncing along at a smooth and steady 300 kilometers an hour. Flying by the windows are the endless hills and tunnels of the heartland of South Korea. The only breaks one sees on the 2 hours train ride from Busan to Seoul are seemingly random clusters of small towns with skyscrapers and baseball fields. The humid and hilly peninsula nation is somewhat naturally devoid of any serious ice sports. Those that do get into such hobbies almost always come from Seoul, not just an iconic city for South Korea, but for Asia as a whole. Most of the country is a periphery to this massive capital, but in a distant second comes Busan. Here in the smaller city of an already small nation, has one of Korea’s few ever ice hockey prospects emerged from. In a Korean city full of beaches and mountains, Song Ju-gong has beaten all odds, and seems to have done what few Koreans ever have, make the jump to North American professional ice hockey.

“When the train rattles at certain points, if my eyes are closed, I imagine it as applause for my team scoring a goal.”

Ju-gong is hardly a normal prospect, even through a translator by his side on a train car does that becomes apparent. A goalie who closes his eyes and envisions team success over their own is perhaps a peculiarity risen from growing up in Korean collective society, where the humble nation in just 50 years rose from a war destroyed people into a world power. For a player that doesn’t seem to crave any spotlight, Ju-gong is supplied plenty of it with his numerous MVP awards from his short time netminding in the Korean Ice Hockey amateur leagues, simultaneously playing for HL Anyang, Busan Blue Wings, and soon the Korean u21 national team. More recently, he returned from the SMJHL after a one-month trial period with the Quebec City Citadelles. His record with the Canadian based team? 3-0-0, an undefeated tenure as an undrafted free agent that will only help put him on the radar of many other SMJHL teams for their upcoming draft.

“It was an incredible experience, and all my teammates were fantastic players. I really can’t thank them enough for allowing me to help their group. The experiences I gained in Quebec, and working with an amazing goalie like Net Man will only improve my game.”

Despite only featuring in three games, and watching from the bench for all five of QCC’s playoff games, Ju-gong has no regrets from his time in Quebec.

“Of course, it didn’t bother me at all, like the rest of the team, I was entirely behind Net Man finishing his career as the starter he deserved to be. If we had to play those playoffs again, I’d make no changes, everyone gave their best.”

Humble Roots in the Sand
The unflappable goaltender comes from a family and city that have a history of trials and success, undoubtedly molding the young Ju-gong into who he is now. During the early days of the Korean War, South Korea had been forced to the brink and almost lost the war months in. It was Busan, the city to the south, that held out against the invasion and provided allies with crucial time in order to construct a counter offensive to save the nation. During this time, the Ju-gong family made many donations of linen to war refugees in the city, leftovers and special projects of their family’s tailoring business. Today, his mother still works as a seamstress, making traditional hanbok and other dresses to a few loyal clients. His father works a more modern job as a financial analyst, also helping run the finances of the small family business.

“My grandparents sacrificed a lot during the war to help our fellow citizens. Every day I try to live in their honor, they did so much good, if I can become even half the people they were, I will have done well for myself in life. The same goes for my parents, I couldn’t be luckier to have such wonderful role models to see day to day. Every success I gain in hockey or otherwise is thanks to them, I simply wouldn’t be the person I am without their help.”

Obviously Ju-gong is as humble as they come, but the hard work to come with it is a rare combination, at least by some western standards.

“Every day after school I’d come home and help my mom sew for a few hours, or until the sun went down if the order was big enough. Sewing teaches you to rely on patience and technique, only through good fundamentals can you become quick. Still, I’d say those many nights sewing hanbok helped train my hands and reflexes to how they are now.”

Wood, Stone, and Ice
One may think a talented prospect like Ju-gong picked up hockey or skating from an early age, but that is hardly the truth at all. The first obsession the young boy from Busan took to was baduk, known in the west as Go. The classical Asian board game is far more complex and nuanced than chess by comparison, taking AI technology an extra 20 years to finally beat its best player. Even so, the baduk board is still a daunting 19x19 board where from move one, you can make 324 separate moves, compared to 20 in chess. Because of its limitless possibilities, creativity shines in this game almost more than any other played over a board.

“There was a popular baduk café just a few blocks from my home growing up. It was a second home to me, and I spent many years there watching some of the best players in Busan play regularly. Whenever I retire, I may spend more time there than my actual home.”

Ju-gong’s young eyes never turned on the TV or PC to watch highlights from professional hockey, but rather from the world of professional baduk. Even now, his idol remains Lee Se-dol, the former world champion of Baduk who also grew up in the southern edge of South Korea. Following in his idol’s footsteps, Ju-gong became one of the best youth players in Busan, and quickly rose up the amateur ranks. On his path to becoming a professional, he traveled around South Korea playing in tournaments and placing high. His success was so apparent that his parents hired him a professional player to give the young boy occasional lessons. As of the current moment, he holds a 3-dan ranking, only 3 away from becoming a full-fledged professional, and 6 behind that of Lee Se-dol.

“I’m certain I could at least become a professional player, it’s always been a dream of mine. I would need to commit a few more years of study to achieve this goal, but its within reach.”

His passion for baduk however, would lead him to more success than he expected. From his baduk café in Busan, Ju-gong made good friends with an employee a few years his senior, one that did have a passion for more traditional sports, and was opt to watching professional hockey highlights late at night. It took months of conversation and convincing, but he eventually managed to sway Ju-gong enough to go and watch one of their games. It helped of course, with how crammed a city Busan is, that the Buk-gu Culture and Ice Sports Center was a quick bus ride down the road.

“Pong-su would tell me day after day ‘come watch us play sometime, come watch us play, come watch us play and see if you like it’, because he was such a good friend, I decided to make him happy and attend a game.”

The result?

“I was hooked as soon as I saw my first goal. It was already awe-inspiring enough to see everyone skating around the ice so flawlessly – it looked fun. But then to be passing and working together to score, it was something entirely different. Right away I craved the chance to be part of a team, in baduk you always fight alone, but in hockey you go to battle with your friends.”

Admiral Song
After observing a few games, Ju-gong was welcomed to join the team despite having no experience whatsoever. In the local leagues of Busan where only a few teams are active at any given moment, anyone that is willing to play is instantly a valued player. Even so, the learning curve was steep for the young baduk player, as became apparent on the first day.

“The first day of practice I didn’t even know how to skate, it was my first time ever being on ice. I had to hold the boards to stay balanced and fell over more times than I can count. I was the most embarrassed I had ever been in my life. Eventually my teammates showed mercy and offered to allow me to play goalie, at least until I learned how to skate. For the next few months, I stayed in front of my goal as still as a statue, it eventually led to my nickname of ‘Statue Song’ in reference to the great statue of Admiral Yi.”

Admiral Yi was a Korean navy admiral who defended Korea against the Japanese in the 1500’s. He once defeated an entire Japanese armada of 130 ships with only 13 of his own in the legendary Battle of Myeongnyang without having a single ship sunk. The victory was so legendary that there is now a famous statue of Admiral Yi standing guard at both the Busan Tower in Busan, and near Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul.

“At first they called me this because I couldn’t skate and thus didn’t move, but after a few weeks, I was saving almost every shot they sent my way. Eventually the name turned into Admiral Song, which I’m much more grateful for.”

Even as Ju-gong learned how to skate, his performances in goal kept him cemented there like a statue, and before he knew it, was the de facto starting netminder for the team. In a rollercoaster two months, Ju-gong went from having never been on ice in his life, to being the starting goalie for the Busan Blue Wings. But the sudden rise was hardly undeserved, as in his first ever amateur match, he completed a 28 save shutout in a 2-0 victory. Just as Admiral Yi had defeated all those Japanese ships without taking a single loss, Ju-gong never allowed a single one of those shots to damage his teams score – perfection in battle. In only a few months’ time, Admiral Song would be a name buzzing all around the Busan ice scene.

Taking flight to Anyang
Going undefeated in the Busan amateur hockey leagues is hardly a major mountain to climb over just 16 games, it has been done before and will surely be done again. What turned heads was the fact that the Busan Blue Wings had allowed 6 goals over those 16 games, and all with a 14-year-old netminder. With a save percentage well over .950, it was total dominance even amongst a mix of Korean born players and several foreigners playing for fun. Ju-gong, still with less than a year of playing experience under his belt, was getting more praise than he knew what to do with from both players and coaches alike.

“By the end of my first season opposing players and coaches would come talk to me after games, I was so nervous and confused. I was just having fun playing with a team, at the time I didn’t realize how common goals were, but I didn’t care either. Even if I let in a shot, I would simply continue doing my best. Besides, without such reliable defenders, I would’ve been scored on even more. So of course, I always give my defensemen the credit. I do my best to reward their defensive work by stopping as much as I can with my current abilities.”

One of these opponents happened to be a former player from the ALIH (Asia League Ice Hockey) Park Sung-je. After spending the post-game in a little shoot around to confirm his ability, Sung-je recommended Ju-gong make the leap to the ALIH, and offered to provide a contact with his former team. When the offer quickly materialized into a professional try out, the Song family was ready and willing to send Ju-gong to Anyang for a week to see if he could make the ranks of most professional league Korea, and East Asia had. The ALIH was a league made up of professional Japanese and Korean teams and represents the best in Asian hockey. While still nothing compared to major North American, European, or Russian Leagues, it provides a decently competitive league with plenty of Canadian and American players to bolster the ranks.

Only three days into his trial with HL Anyang, the team offered him a youth-professional contract to play for their team.

“Everything happened so fast, I couldn’t believe how quickly the coaches were supporting me. Despite letting in more goals than I was used to, they were more than impressed. Even if I was perhaps a bit green, I think because I was Korean, and was performing so well at such a young age, they needed little convincing.”

The same train carrying Ju-gong to Seoul now was the same one he’d take 3 times a week to attend practices in Anyang. It was probably during those months that the roars and shaking of the train car began to fuel his mind with dreams of playing on professional ice.

Crossroads of Success
At 15, Ju-gong was faced with an unlikely trio of choices for a boy his age. Continue grinding his path to being a professional baduk player, take a chance on the world of professional hockey, or focus on schooling to acquire a safe financial future for himself and family. Something that certainly contributed to many sleepless Busan nights for the overloaded youth. Of course, his peers were hardly any help, his friends from the baduk café urging him to push for 6-dan, and those on the ice cheering for him to beat the odds and become a sports star.

“The stress during those days was unlike anything else, it felt like I would disappoint people no matter what I did. Even now it still bothers me, I wish I could lead two lives and pour myself into each passion.”

Between catching up on schoolwork, playing baduk at his café, and the train rides to practice with HL Anyang, young Ju-gong was at his limit, and a breaking point was nearing. His parents had noticed his health was starting to deteriorate a bit, and the teenage boy was not getting enough sleep to fuel his non-stop life. It was them, who provided an intervention to protect Ju-gong from burning out before he could reach his potential.

“We spent a day together and just talked. It was a hard moment, and we all cried more than once. I was resigned to have them pick which road I follow, but they insisted we make the choice as a family.”

The usually stoic Ju-gong tensed up on the train ride, a fresh memory that still weighed heavy on the young Admiral Song. Coincidently, the next stop for the train was Anyang station, perhaps sparking a few emotions beneath that poised persona. After a drink of water and a moment to watch the mountain valleys pass by, Ju-gong was able to continue.

“In the end, we decided to cut back on my schooling and baduk. I would still work to graduate on the side, but spend less hours at the café in return. You can become a professional baduk player at any age, but for something like hockey, there is a physical window. Hockey had to be done while young, while at any age I could continue making progress at baduk. If things worked out in Hockey, I’d have all the time and money I wanted to pursue that life, and if it didn’t, I could continue baduk with only having lost a few years of time. It was a very logical decision, but even now, it brings me sorrow to think about.”

With a decision made, Ju-gong had more time and resources than ever before to dedicate towards hockey, just in time to help him make waves in the ALIH.

Shining from the Shadows
As one might expect, Ju-gong didn’t arrive in Anyang and instantly displace the starting netminder. Still just a young teenager, he was locked in a battle for backup minutes if anything. By far the youngest player on his team, the boy from Busan had to prove practice after practice that he deserved to share ice time with players in their 20’s and 30’s from across the globe. With a new pace to the game, Ju-gong found himself observing matches from one of the 1,284 seats available in the Anyang Ice Arena.

“Those early days carried a new learning curve. The speed of the game took a massive leap, and suddenly players could shoot well both high and low. It was harder to read and predict where they’d shoot, let alone the extra speed the puck had. I got beat a few too many times in those first practices, but they helped me learn and grow, so it was a great experience.”

Ever a quick learner, Ju-gong began to gain acclaim in the locker room and was soon giving the coaches a headache for backup minutes. Finally after a few months, Ju-gong was given a proper start for an away game against the Nikko Ice Bucks from Japan. Sports media in South Korea attended the game for the youngster’s debut, walking away with easy headlines as HL Anyang walked away victorious 4-0, 32 shots faced, 32 saves. Alongside being the youngest ever goalie to get a shutout in the ALIH, his name within Korean hockey exploded too, quickly becoming a known entity for fans of the local game. Following this up with a 5-1 win and a 3-0 win in his next two appearances locked in the name of Song Ju-gong as a star in the making.

“I went from watching games in the stands one month, to having interview requests from reporters in Seoul that covered hockey the next. It was a special feeling, but of course, many players in front of me deserved just as much credit, so I always mentioned their names before mine. Every player on the ice shares in the successes and defeats, we win or lose as a team, not as individual players.”

While remaining as a backup for his first season, Ju-gong continued to improve and earn fan support not just from the Anyang faithful, but from Korean fans in general. For many, his success seemed storybook given his age, but of course, what they didn’t see was a young teenager taking 2 hour train rides to Busan day in and day out to dedicate himself to that success.

“KTX and my transit card we’re my second biggest investors behind my parents.”

Learning from the Best
During his first off season, playing for Anyang and living in Busan, one of his coaches came to Ju-gong with an exciting proposition – a three-week training camp with Amur Khabarovsk reserves in the Russian KHL. With the hosts footing expenses in hopes of scouting talent, it was an easy decision to accept the offer and flight overseas. While the ALIH had been a huge jump in playing quality, Ju-gong was all too curious to see the prowess of Russian players who lived and breathed the game. It was a sleepless 3 hour flight to the new city, one that carried as much nerves as excitement.

“I had been to Japan plenty of times, but Russia was a different experience. It felt like flying off into some tundra where a final boss lay in wait. Looking back it was silly to be so nervous, but at the same time I wasn’t far off on the latter part, I had never seen players like those, I was glad to be safe from getting crashed into boards.”

The fast and physical play of the Russian team would be eye opening to anyone, let alone a teenager from Korea, a nation where physical size is not a common attribute. It was an eye-opening experience for Ju-gong, but an earth shattering one for his fellow youth teammates at the camp, who looked as though they were getting the worse end of nightly brawls at the pub. While his countrymen got checked and bodied in pursuit of a puck, Ju-gong was silently learning and improving. His reactions were tested like nothing before, given how freely the opposing attackers would get before shooting – and while a fair number of shots found the net, Admiral Song was knocking away a fair amount with time.

By the end of his three weeks, several of the Russian coaches had asked for his name and team through several dodgy translators and seemed to take an interest in him more than the others. While no offer came from the experience, he had once again earned the attention of superior players and leveled up significantly from the harsh and high intensity training sessions.

“I learned a lot from that trip, and owe Amur Khabarovsk many thanks for allowing me to train at their facilities. While I think I improved a lot as a player, I was once again exposed to a level of play I had never seen. It put everything into perspective, some of the best teenage talent in Korea had been with me, and totally outclassed by the young reserves of one of many KHL teams. I began to understand the level required to be a pro overseas and used it as motivation going forwards. I needed to be unbreakable to defend my teammates against an opponent like that, perhaps that would be enough to inspire my allies in the face of overwhelming odds.”

The Curtain Rises
Fresh off training in Russia, Ju-gong returned to HL Anyang in better form than when he left, and the coaches noticed right away. While the Korean team ran with their established starter in the first game, it then came to the surprise of many fans as Ju-gong was given a start in game two. After a dominating 6-1 win, and another 4-0 win two weeks later, Ju-gong was not just performing in the ALIH, but looking lights out. What ensued was a two month battle between him and 33 year old Matt Dalton for the starting position. The team thrived under such a competition and had a near flawless record during this time. However, results didn’t lie, and while the veteran Dalton was managing an impressive 2.4 GA per game, Ju-gong was flying even higher at 1.5 per game.

“After another offseason of work and facing several thousand shots against those Russian players, everything seemed to be slow again. Suddenly it didn’t matter if a player chose to go high or low, I could react in some manner almost every time. I’m glad my play in goal could help inspire my team, as everyone was playing worthy of a championship that season. I was no more deserving than anyone else, the whole unit was on another level.”

After winning the starting role for HL Anyang, the Korean team went on to win the ALIH season in dominant fashion, setting records for both defense and offense in the process. As one would expect, the teams’ goals-allowed was the lowest it had ever been, in many parts thanks to the fine netminding of 16-year-old Ju-gong, but if asked, almost certainly the whole credit belongs to the whole defensive unit. In the championship game against Red Eagles Hokkaido, Admiral Song helped his team to a 3-0 series win. Once again unscathed like the legendary hero Yi, only allowing 3 goals total over those 3 games, the most important of his career to date.

“It was a joy like none-other, to bring our fans and my teammates the glory they so badly craved and deserved. Its why team sports are so special, those feelings get shared and amplified across so many people, it’s a real honor and joy to play a part in that.”

The eyes of the world
With another offseason before him, Ju-gong resumed playing with the Busan Blue Wings amateur team, something close to home to keep his skills up. Of course, now a large fish in a small pond, his local team have dominated the last 3 division titles, something he and his friends from the team still go out and celebrate with plenty of soju. During these times, Ju-gong allows himself to enjoy a bit of baduk, but always keeping his focus on hockey and education as he and his parents promised several years ago. It came as a surprise then, to get a call from overseas during this moment of calm.

“I had never talked to any coaches or scouts in Canada before, so to hear from Quebec was a total surprise. My parents were nearby and they searched up the team online. During the call I was quite hesitant and asked for time before making a choice, but once we looked up QCC in detail, we were gleeful to accept the trial offer. It was a potential pathway into the SHL, which of course, would be a dream come true.”

Despite a 15 hour flight to reach eastern Canada, Ju-gong arrived with incredible enthusiasm, ready to join his team in the middle of their fight for playoff seedings. With motivation and energy high, the jump in quality didn’t affect him like it would for other unproven youth players, and right away he earned himself a backup role on the talented team. For a young Ju-gong full of adrenaline and desire to help his new teammates win, he slotted into his first game against the then #2 team in the SMJHL, the Anchorage Armada, and managed to keep a 6-5 win secured.

“I was a bit embarrassed as I can’t recall the last time I let in so many goals in a single game, but still, I was beyond happy to help provide my great teammates a good result at an important time in the season.”
Ju-gong spared himself too many blushes in his final two games of the season, capturing a 3-2 win against the Berserkers before a dominant showing in a 5-1 win against the Grizzlies. Those three late season wins helped ensure Quebec had home ice in the upcoming playoffs - all three of those games necessary to achieve their goals. Despite having only spent two weeks in North America, Ju-gong had already secured himself a ticket to an SMJHL playoff series as a reliable backup. And while that playoff run would come up short in the first round, Admiral Song had done enough to gain the attention of teams across the league.

The Calm Before the Storm
Fresh off a call-up to the Korean u-21 ice hockey team, Ju-gong made his way back to Korea to continue his offseason, although now his propositions have changed dramatically. Back in Busan, his parents were ecstatic to hear his stories from Canada, and dote over the QCC merchandise and souvenirs he took with him on the flight home. Upon entering the Ju-gong hanbok tailoring business, a snowy white owl plush greets guests as a friendly token from overseas. Hanging above it is a goalie jersey from the same far away team, with the #9 and centered on the back.

“It’s been an exciting month for me and my parents, but a sad one too. The SMJHL is a massive step in my career, but knowing it will be so far from Korea is hard for everyone. I’m hoping I can fly them out to North America, and that I can come visit home at every opportunity.”

The train carrying Ju-gong from his home in Busan to Seoul weighs heavier than ever as it approaches Seoul Central Station. Knowing that he won’t be back in his homeland until the next SMJHL season concludes makes this goodbye hit harder than many before it.

“I’ve taken this train hundreds of times in my life, for thousands of hours, but this trip feels different. Just like my flight to Russia, but somehow even more important and intense.”

The wheels come to a slow screeching halt as we finish up our water bottles and begin organizing our things for departure. Outside are now massive skyscrapers as far as anyone can see for miles and miles beyond the horizon. It feels strange such a nation has yet to make an impact on the world of hockey, and even more odd to think that the 17 year old taking the train up from Busan may be the first to really put Korea on the map of the global game. Shaking hands with Ju-gong one last time, he bows deeply to me as he did upon meeting. After wishing him luck in the draft, we asked if there was any team he hoped to land on.

“I’d be honored to play for any of these amazing teams, I simply look forward to helping my teammates win, no matter where that is.”

With that, Ju-gong parted ways, off to lands unknown to continue the unlikely legacy of a boy from Busan playing professional hockey.

[Word Count 4,936]

Absolutely fantastic read! A lovely story and here's to the Admiral's success in both the J and the SHL!

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]