Create Account

S76 SMJHL Defensemen by the Numbers
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2024, 01:03 PM by xjoverax. Edited 1 time in total.)

As we have come to the conclusion of this season, I decided to take a deep dive into the numbers of season 76’s Defensemen and obtain a ranking system that takes all of the stats we think of for defensemen into account. Here’s a list of the stats I have considered in my ranking system and then a breakdown of why I chose each: TOI, PTS, +/-, Hits, Takeaways, Blocked Shots, Defensive Game Rating and PDO.

TOI – Chosen because time on ice is synonymous with defensemen. They pick up the longer shifts and those with lots of time have it because they are vital to their teams’ success.

PTS – Rather than go for Goals and Assists individually, I felt that point totals paint a whole picture of a defenseman’s contribution on the offensive side of the game and breaking it into the two categories seemed redundant.

+/- – While this stat tends to be a consequence of the team you’re on, it is one that we do focus on as players and as defensemen. As defensemen we want that number to be in the positive and feel good when it is regardless of our team’s success. We feel like we plugged up the holes while we were on the ice and helped our team in some way, so I did feel like it’s a stat we have to consider in this list.

Hits – To me, this tends to be more of a Forward stat in our league since the 2 seasons I’ve been here a defensemen hasn’t cracked the top 15, but I also know this stat is important to other defensemen. They look at is as being aggressive and taking the other team off of the puck so it gets added to the list. 

Takeaways – This is an actual measurement of taking the puck away from the other team and I think it’s about the most defensive statistic outside of Blocked Shots.

Blocked Shots – Along with a solid +/- and TAs, BS is something defensemen pride themselves on.  This is a stat we own and only in few instances do you see a Forward crack the top 10 for it. It can be influenced by your team’s success in that if your team is not great at getting the puck out of your defensive zone and you see a lot more shots, then your BS are likely going to benefit from it. Regardless, we love this stat and so it’s on the list.

Defensive Game Rating – This one is a little iffy because it does take into account your player’s assigned role. So they may have scored a higher grade in a different role, but maybe that role was restricted to only 1 player and someone else is already playing it.  That being said, it’s literally labeled as Defensive Game Rating and I can’t not have it on this list.

PDO – I’m still grasping what exactly PDO is to be honest. What I do know is that it’s the only advanced stat we have that people talk about and on that alone it makes the list. I did want to add other advanced stats like Shots Against per 60 min and Goals Against per 60 min because they sound like defensive stats to me, but I don’t know enough about them to credit or discredit their validity, so I kept them off.

While arguments can be made for other stats to be added or some taken away (I will happily consider opinions on this should I make another breakdown in the future), these are the stats I believe come together to make a great defender.

On to my ranking system. I awarded points to each defenseman based on their place in the standings for each of these stats amongst other defensemen. So, completely taking Forwards out of the equation, a top 5 ranking is worth 3 points, 6-10 worth 2 points and 11-15 worth 1 point. Ties are labeled in the list and scores are given accordingly. If you’re in a 4-way tie for 5th, then all of you are getting 3 points. With this I was looking to reward defensemen landing in the top 15 of each of these stats so the players that aren’t at the top of the highlighted stats (i.e. points, shots blocked) are still getting recognition for a top 15 effort this season.

Without further ado, here is a list of the all the Defenders that scored a point using this ranking system along with their season totals and placement for that stat.

[Image: HTbayne.png]
(~ denotes tie)

(When I first gathered this data I found that I was missing a few defensemen, so I pulled the CSV from the index again and landed at 99 total defensemen, which was 6 more than my first pull and sounded about right for the league. If you feel like you should have been somewhere on this list, please feel free to reply and I’ll see if your name is on the whole spreadsheet I sorted through for this data. Also, this list only considers the players that the index labeled as either LD or RD. If a player is labeled as a C, LW or RW by the index, then they were not taken into consideration. If this upsets you then please take it up with my HR representative Kahri. Lastly, I don't know if there's a better way to add a table so this is a screenshot of my spreadsheet Biggrin )

(922 words)

*Media Grader*
After reviewing my threads I believe this is actually my first media post. So please mark this as a FIRST SUBMISSION BONUS. Thanks.

[Image: jovera.gif]

[Image: tZH05l4.png]

YEAH TAKE IT UP WITH ME IF YOU HAVE ISSUES! ILL PROTECT JOVE FOR FOREVER! #welovejove #jovethebest

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]

It was described to me that PDO is basically luck, so how lucky / unlucky a player is. Over 100 is more lucky under 100 is less lucky.

Also I personally believe that goals and assist should have their own categories, but only because I know the person who managed to lead the league in goals, assist, and points...

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

#13 LETS FUCKING GOOOO, BETTER RANKING THAN MY MAXED ISFL RB

Next thing, you can do with Forwards and Goalies. :3

[Image: VJEQ5Rl.png]

Great article.
PDO is the sum of a teams shooting percentage + save percentage. 100 is considered average with anything above being good.
Corsi is another advanced stat to look into as its essentially a puck possession metric that gives a ratio of shot attempts for minus against.

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

I thought I had a bad season, according to this I did pretty good.

Also congrats to my fellow top 10 folks <3