Create Account

Adjusting

MONTREAL MILITIA MAIL

By: Kil Phessel

MONTREAL, Quebec. Marcos Maciel adjusts to many things in his first week as a member of the prestigious Montreal Militia SMJHL club. Maciel adjusts to weather that chills in comparison to his Texas home and even his temporary Ohio residence. Maciel adjusts to a language very different than the English and moderately different than the Spanish he's already fluent in. But most of all, Marcos Maciel is adjusting to the elite skill difference in the league which knocks at the SHL gates.

Marcos Maciel has always been the bonafide #1 Center growing up in Katy, Texas and competing with Dallas' AAA team. When playing as a rookie at Ohio State, Maciel drew a mix of 1st and 2nd line minutes. And now, one offseason later: Marcos Maciel finds himself scoreless in his first 8 games, playing on the 4th line with abysmal face-off dot percentages. Does Marcos blame his hockey club, for playing him the least minutes he's played in his entire hockey career? Not one bit. Marcos is the kind of player management loves, he is quiet when he needs to be, loud when it matters, a player who is his hardest critic. If anything Marcos Maciel appears to be loving every minute of his time so far in Montreal.

Quote:...you know I love challenges, what I have experienced so far in the SMJHL is only proof that I made the right decision moving from the SNCAA to step up in competition, these guys are so much faster and stronger than anyone I've played against. It's a wake-up call and I have the best coaching support in the world helping me improve my stock for the SHL draft.

The new pace of the game has forced Maciel into a much quieter, defensive role in his first year. Marcos has an excellent shot that hasn't been on display much of the beginning of this season, but this also has not fazed the young centerman.

Quote:I play a two hundred foot game, if I can't be responsible in my own end how can I expect to get to the other end of the ice.

Even this early in the season, the French media has been hard on the free agent. He came in with large expectations and a maximum contract. The Militia have never been shy to signing FA's to the max value, as they signed 3 in the final week of preseason. Maciel's first game with the Militia was not preseason however, it was a game that mattered. The rookie has struggled in the face-off circle and it has not gone unnoticed, media have criticized the 216lbs 18 year old for being sluggish and some articles have gone on to toss the word "oaf" around. When we asked Marcos about these slander's he didn't have much to say:

Quote:I don't read the papers or watch sports shows, I don't care either.  No offense to you guys

None taken Marcos Maciel, none taken. You can't help to notice Maciel's optimism in his game. He is still young with a lot to learn, and came into this season after camp and after preseason. The question comes up, "Did Montreal make a mistake signing Marcos Maciel?", "Is Marcos Maciel a waste of 2 million dollars in precious salary space?". Us here at MMM cautiously say nay. That 2 million dollars pays for a high ceiling centerman finding his stride, it does not pay in spades for this season, but it invests in the future of the franchise. If Marcos Maciel's attitude is indicative of his work ethic, then fans should be excited for the future of this franchise. Let him adjust.

Word Count: 630

Nice read, buddy! You're going to be a great player once you hit your stride Militia