Create Account

From The Press Box - Third Issue: Part Post- Draft Interview with PG Firebirds

<b><u><div align="center">From The Press Box</div></u></b>
From The Press Box - Third Issue: Part 2 (12/1/17)
Interview with PGF GM Sleepy
Author: ml002

Prince George Firebirds GM Sleepy

From The Press Box has had an opportunity to speak with one of the GM's of the Prince George Firebirds, Sleepy. In total the Firebirds picked nine times in this season's draft; they picked one goalie, six forwards and two defensemen.

Interviewer: "I'm glad to be joined by one of the co-GMs of the Prince George Firebirds, Sleepy! I was hoping I could ask you some questions about the S38 SMJHL Entry Draft and your experiences with it."

Sleepy: "Absolutely! I'd be happy to share my thoughts on our draft."

Interviewer: "Great I'll start with the pre-draft. What positions were you targeting pre-draft?"

Sleepy: "Pre-draft, the PGF war room was rather hectic. I had no idea what I was doing as I had never done a draft before. Spooked and I communicated a lot the few days leading up to the draft about what our strategy should be going into the draft. We were targeting forwards and a goalie as our early picks. We were able to hammer out a trade with Kelowna to give us two 2nd round picks this draft and with that we were able to take the goal tender we really wanted and who we thought would be a great fit for our locker room. After that, I selected the 2 forwards I wanted in the 2nd round."

Interviewer: "Do you think you filled out the needs of the team well?"

Sleepy: "I think so. Lots of teams needed goalies so we decided to take our man with our first pick. Other than that, we have a strong core of players sent down from last season so we picked our needs based around that. I think we will have one of the strongest rosters this season."

Interviewer: "With such a large draft class, are there any players you just missed out on that you had your eye on?"

Sleepy: "I think that is the case with every draft to be totally honest and especially so with reddit drafts. There were a few people I was hoping that would have fell to PGF, but that just wasn't the case."

Interviewer: "Did you pick anyone that you hadn't been in contact much pre-draft?"

Sleepy: "Yes, there were a few people that I picked I had not spoken to. With a draft class this large, it was really hard to communicate with all the draftees. That's not to say, however, I was not familiar with them or their skill set they will bring to PGF."

Interviewer: "Has anyone surprised you since you drafted them? Either with how they fit into the team as a player or as an individual in the locker room?"

Sleepy: "That's hard to say so close after the draft still. I tried to pick people that I thought would fit well into the locker room we already have while also contributing and changing it as well. I don't think any of the players we drafted will really be problems in the locker room."

Interviewer: "Were you surprised that any of your draftees fell to you and why?"

Sleepy: "A few, yes. I know I was able to draft some players in the 3rd and 4th round that I thought other teams were missing out for not picking."

Interviewer: "Is there a specific reason you picked the players you did?"

Sleepy: "Team need and locker room fit were my two concerns for the most part. We also wanted skilled defensive-minded players who are going to contribute right away as well. I think I hit the nail on the head, though, with the people I was able to draft."

Interviewer: "Who do you think was the steal of your draft?"

Sleepy: "Everyone not drafted in the 1st round, haha. I think so many of the players I took into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th and 6th rounds might have constituted far earlier picks than they did in another other season.

Interviewer: "Did anyone else's draft surprise you?"

Sleepy: "Not really. I think everyone got exactly who they wanted when they wanted them. There was so much talent in this draft it was very hard to be surprised by who picked who. There were a couple high profile recreates that fell into the mid-rounds I was a little surprised by, but at the end of the day, with a draft this large, its hard to predict where some people might fall to."

Interviewer: "Awesome, that's everything I needed. Good job with the draft and good luck with the upcoming season."

<a href='index.php?showuser=2646' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Sleepy</a>

<div align="right">Word Count: 754</div>
<div align="right">This article should be worth 2x payout according to this link.</div>

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

Glad I could help!

[Image: cd6sM5U.gif]
arigato to everyone for the dope sigs <3

| Updates | Player Page |