Create Account

Manhattan Rage End of Season Presser
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM by JayWhy.)

[Image: Rage-Banner.png]

Following an unexpected playoff loss in the wild card round, the Manhattan Rage season has ended. We are extremely proud of our team, and feel we've still managed to take major steps in spite of difficult situations at play.

This season, to me, truly marked the end of our rebuild and solidified us as a serious contender moving forward. This season was the first time since S25 in which the Rage made back-to-back playoff appearances. This is an incredible accomplishment, and we are on a fantastic path to set new records in Manhattan.

Beyond that, we've made major moves this season to acquire Matthew Auston and Poopity Scoop. These players have been incredible pieces in our line-up, and we are ecstatic for their addition to our roster and team.

On a more personal level, this season I set the record for most losses by a Rage general manager, and am effectively one season from most wins as well. This has been an incredible ride in my time, and I am very excited for it to keep going.

Going into the off-season, our goals will be to extend Alex Winters, Luke Thomason and Reginald Rove. We will also be evaluating our goaltending situation as both Scottey Crawfling and Peter Larson are eligible for extensions.

With all of that, the floor is open to questions.

05-23-2019, 09:03 AMGrapehead Wrote: Who do you think you are?

What gives you the right?

JayWhy.

The fact we made the playoffs one season before you did.

05-23-2019, 09:08 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Where do you think blame lies for the quick playoff exit against Chicago?
Do you agree with @Samee that you are a legendary GM? Why or why not?
Which team or teams in the SHL do you think stand to become rivals with the Rage as the team develops into a cup contender?
What is your biggest regret as GM?
What is you biggest success as GM?
Will you ever relive @GeckoeyGecko?
Is there any other GM in the league that you admire the most? Why?

Ultimately, blame lies on me for anything. If I'm willing to take on any credit for success that we have, I also have to shoulder that blame. I control the line-up, and I thought we had it set pretty well. We played them very close, and we had some bounces go the wrong way. I should have been better to address that before it became an issue. We aren't a team that can rely on a bounce, we're a team that should be dominating other teams. This is my mistake, this is something I will strive to correct.

I appreciate @Samee a lot. The kid is very kind in his assessment. Overall, I'm not at that status yet and I don't have a way of knowing if I'll ever get there or not. I'm going to work to hopefully be known as a great GM by the time I retire from it all, but I don't know when that will be and I don't know if I'll ultimately have the ability to claim that status or not.

The obvious rival would be San Francisco. Started the rebuild around the same time, we stole Luke from them, they have a former general manager of ours as their coach and when it comes to it there's a deep history of the Muertos and Aittokallios who will now be the top centers for each team. Other than that, I'd like Buffalo or West Kendall, but I don't know that we're really there with them and I don't think we have the right to decide that. We've had a playoff round with Toronto, Buffalo and Chicago recently. We'll see who else is at the top of the mountain at the time we're fighting to get there, but for now the Pride are obvious, and I'd argue we have a very small start with Toronto considering the 7 game series last season and the Larson trade, but we'll see if that continues. In division, West Kendall feels like our only real rival at this time but New England and Tampa are both on the rise eventually.

I have very few regrets. Ultimately, if I made a decision, it was the right one at the time given the information at hand. There's some people I wish I would have selected in different spots, I've had a few picks who busted on me. But when it comes to it, I stand behind any decision I made.

My biggest success can be a lot of things. Drafting Alaska is one of my proudest moments, being able to sign Luke as a Free Agent (albeit, sign and trade), the trade for Dekens which ultimately yielded us Dekens, Kastrba and Alaska, making the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. I have had a lot of successes in my time, and a few failures. Both are what have molded me to what I am today as a manager and have molded this team to be as fantastic as they are now.

I don't know if I ever will. I threaten it a lot, it's always on the table. However, Gecko is fantastic at his role and at his job. He gets conversation going, he's active and interesting, and he's a great foil for me in a way. It makes for a great locker room environment. He could probably improve on the more business side of things, and who knows if he really has interest in that specifically. He isn't really head GM material, to put it that way. However, he's doing well in his current role and I appreciate the work he does for the team.

Admiring another GM is interesting. I can't say there really is one. The stock answers are Wasty and Esa, but I have history with both and don't feel like that fits. Grapehead has done great with San Francisco, but I wouldn't say I admire him. I'm close with Ace, and I like him, but admire doesn't quite fit there either. It's a tricky question, my best answer would be no, I don't really have a specific GM that I admire most. I appreciate them all for their good and bad qualities, they're rivals of mine who I often find myself disliking, but they're good people. I wish them the best, but I just don't quite admire any of them.

05-23-2019, 10:52 AMmonkey10pts Wrote: The regular season was a little rough compared to last season and coupled with the early playoff exit is somewhat alarming. How do you think you'll work the team/lineup to get some of the struggling players back on track?

You stated the rebuild is effectively over and you have the team you want to contend with, will you still be making deals or just ride out this iteration of the Rage and stock back up the picks for when the squad inevitably hits regression.

Dekens went ice cold in the last 10 games of the regular season and the entire series against Chicago, is he still the best 3rd liner in the league? Can he continue to put up good numbers or is he donezo?

Where did Finley come from this season? The kid was a monster. What do you attribute his success to other than being the handsome stud that he is? @hats_4_days

What do you think your best trade as a GM was? Worst?

I don't know that there's much I need to do. We found combinations that worked fairly well, just need to tinker with the strategy portion I'd say. We may try to get a little more defensive overall in the line-up, but I doubt we do much to throw the lines into flux. Sometimes players have bad stretches and inconsistency, but it'll come back around.

We'll always be looking for ways to improve the team. If you don't look to make your team better, you're not really trying. However, at this point, I don't think I'll be seeking out major trades as much as I maybe had been last season. We will be looking to hold on to what picks we have to restock the cupboards and prepare for when Auston and Berger go.

Sometimes you have a rough patch, a player who has never scored below 30 points is always going to be extremely valuable. Especially one who is putting the puck in the net at the rate that Dekens is. Back-to-back 20 goal seasons for the first time in the JY Era is nothing to scoff at. We did some line-up changes that put Dekens on a bit of a more defensive role in the end, and we'll be working that around to allow for more freedom again next season as his line continues to grow and develop.

Finley has been stellar his entire career, and I'm glad he's getting some recognition for it. A player of his caliber who can put up 30 points from the blue line while playing limited minutes in a third pairing role, that's something astounding. You won't see it very often. He's going to be one of the best defensemen in Rage history when he's done, and we're extremely proud to have him on the team.

The best trade is a tricky one. My default answer has often been moving the 19th overall pick in S41 for a S43 2nd which ended up being Sulak O'Hritea, only to then turn around and trade our S43 4th round pick for 20th overall and still getting the player we wanted at 19. Ultimately, we jumped two rounds in a reddit draft and acquired a key player in the process of it. However, as time goes on I've started looking more at what is the Alaska trade in hindsight and was the Dekens trade at the time. In S42, we traded pick 10 which was Nicholas Falk to Texas for picks 13, 16 and Dekens. We then moved pick 16 and our S44 1st for Edmonton's S43 1st. Pick 13 was David Kastrba, who has been incredible for us and the S43 1st from Edmonton ended up being Alex Winters. Ultimately, we traded Nicholas Falk, Soren Kierkegaard and Tauras Kaurazijas for James Dekens, David Kastrba and Alex Winters. I think we definitely made out best in that deal, and I feel like that is probably in the end my best trade ever made.

On the other hand, my worst trade was easily the Luke Atmey trade. He was a fantastic player, one of the best. People just didn't offer a lot for him, I had two suitors and I took the one who gave me the most out of the deal. If you look at it though, I was focused on S42 being the reddit draft and I got a little screwed on that as it got pushed back one season to S43 instead, albeit to a lot of criticism from me. Due to that, I didn't get quite the same return out of it all and basically none of the players panned out. Mack went inactive almost immediately after I messaged him, Keenan was already inactive, Gardiner went inactive within a month and the other person who was going to be in place of him was inactive already basically and none of the picks worked out because I went too hard on S42 and then the league decided that I wasn't to have nice things in spite of the "every 3 seasons" thing and that it logically made sense in the timeline. Gave up a league MVP contender for a lot of pennies, and that's unfortunate but that's how things go sometimes.

05-23-2019, 10:25 PMhhh81 Wrote: What is Manhattan missing to take the next step?

Nothing.

Time, maybe. But really, nothing. We have 7 active defenseman, and an 8th who is semiactive. We have 9 active forwards. We have 2 active goaltenders. We have 2 players in regression, and we acquired them this past season, otherwise everyone is still a good way off. In time, we're going to have a lot of the best players in the league playing on the team at once and we're going to be unstoppable. Right now, though, we're still developing a lot. Players who are steady and have been on the team for what feels like forever are still 4-5 seasons from regressing and just about to hit 1k tpe. This is going to be a dangerous squad that just needs to be put together in the right order with the right strategies and we'll be taking off.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Who do you think you are?

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Where do you think blame lies for the quick playoff exit against Chicago?
Which team or teams in the SHL do you think stand to become rivals with the Rage as the team develops into a cup contender?

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM by monkey10pts.)

The regular season was a little rough compared to last season and coupled with the early playoff exit is somewhat alarming. How do you think you'll work the team/lineup to get some of the struggling players back on track?

You stated the rebuild is effectively over and you have the team you want to contend with, will you still be making deals or just ride out this iteration of the Rage and stock back up the picks for when the squad inevitably hits regression.

Dekens went ice cold in the last 10 games of the regular season and the entire series against Chicago, is he still the best 3rd liner in the league? Can he continue to put up good numbers or is he donezo?

Where did Finley come from this season? The kid was a monster. What do you attribute his success to other than being the handsome stud that he is? @hats_4_days

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39

05-23-2019, 09:08 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Where do you think blame lies for the quick playoff exit against Chicago?

i said hes on pace to becoming one fyi

I can answer some of these questions!

1: I'm gonna put a good deal of blame on me. I updated once this season. Need to get back in on it, hit 4 digits.
2: It's SFP. It's gonna be SFP. Assuming we both get to a final sometime. If not, could be Chiraq, could be Barracuda, both are young and on an upswing.
3: His biggest regret is prolly drafting me 8oa and then making me co
4: When the day comes, I'll do it myself if only to deny him the pleasure.

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

I'll lurk around here and answer questions toooooo

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

05-23-2019, 09:03 AMGrapehead Wrote: Who do you think you are?

JayWhy.

The fact we made the playoffs one season before you did.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.

What is Manhattan missing to take the next step?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Ultimately, blame lies on me for anything. If I'm willing to take on any credit for success that we have, I also have to shoulder that blame. I control the line-up, and I thought we had it set pretty well. We played them very close, and we had some bounces go the wrong way. I should have been better to address that before it became an issue. We aren't a team that can rely on a bounce, we're a team that should be dominating other teams. This is my mistake, this is something I will strive to correct.

I appreciate @Samee a lot. The kid is very kind in his assessment. Overall, I'm not at that status yet and I don't have a way of knowing if I'll ever get there or not. I'm going to work to hopefully be known as a great GM by the time I retire from it all, but I don't know when that will be and I don't know if I'll ultimately have the ability to claim that status or not.

The obvious rival would be San Francisco. Started the rebuild around the same time, we stole Luke from them, they have a former general manager of ours as their coach and when it comes to it there's a deep history of the Muertos and Aittokallios who will now be the top centers for each team. Other than that, I'd like Buffalo or West Kendall, but I don't know that we're really there with them and I don't think we have the right to decide that. We've had a playoff round with Toronto, Buffalo and Chicago recently. We'll see who else is at the top of the mountain at the time we're fighting to get there, but for now the Pride are obvious, and I'd argue we have a very small start with Toronto considering the 7 game series last season and the Larson trade, but we'll see if that continues. In division, West Kendall feels like our only real rival at this time but New England and Tampa are both on the rise eventually.

I have very few regrets. Ultimately, if I made a decision, it was the right one at the time given the information at hand. There's some people I wish I would have selected in different spots, I've had a few picks who busted on me. But when it comes to it, I stand behind any decision I made.

My biggest success can be a lot of things. Drafting Alaska is one of my proudest moments, being able to sign Luke as a Free Agent (albeit, sign and trade), the trade for Dekens which ultimately yielded us Dekens, Kastrba and Alaska, making the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. I have had a lot of successes in my time, and a few failures. Both are what have molded me to what I am today as a manager and have molded this team to be as fantastic as they are now.

I don't know if I ever will. I threaten it a lot, it's always on the table. However, Gecko is fantastic at his role and at his job. He gets conversation going, he's active and interesting, and he's a great foil for me in a way. It makes for a great locker room environment. He could probably improve on the more business side of things, and who knows if he really has interest in that specifically. He isn't really head GM material, to put it that way. However, he's doing well in his current role and I appreciate the work he does for the team.

Admiring another GM is interesting. I can't say there really is one. The stock answers are Wasty and Esa, but I have history with both and don't feel like that fits. Grapehead has done great with San Francisco, but I wouldn't say I admire him. I'm close with Ace, and I like him, but admire doesn't quite fit there either. It's a tricky question, my best answer would be no, I don't really have a specific GM that I admire most. I appreciate them all for their good and bad qualities, they're rivals of mine who I often find myself disliking, but they're good people. I wish them the best, but I just don't quite admire any of them.

05-23-2019, 10:52 AMmonkey10pts Wrote: The regular season was a little rough compared to last season and coupled with the early playoff exit is somewhat alarming. How do you think you'll work the team/lineup to get some of the struggling players back on track?

I don't know that there's much I need to do. We found combinations that worked fairly well, just need to tinker with the strategy portion I'd say. We may try to get a little more defensive overall in the line-up, but I doubt we do much to throw the lines into flux. Sometimes players have bad stretches and inconsistency, but it'll come back around.

We'll always be looking for ways to improve the team. If you don't look to make your team better, you're not really trying. However, at this point, I don't think I'll be seeking out major trades as much as I maybe had been last season. We will be looking to hold on to what picks we have to restock the cupboards and prepare for when Auston and Berger go.

Sometimes you have a rough patch, a player who has never scored below 30 points is always going to be extremely valuable. Especially one who is putting the puck in the net at the rate that Dekens is. Back-to-back 20 goal seasons for the first time in the JY Era is nothing to scoff at. We did some line-up changes that put Dekens on a bit of a more defensive role in the end, and we'll be working that around to allow for more freedom again next season as his line continues to grow and develop.

Finley has been stellar his entire career, and I'm glad he's getting some recognition for it. A player of his caliber who can put up 30 points from the blue line while playing limited minutes in a third pairing role, that's something astounding. You won't see it very often. He's going to be one of the best defensemen in Rage history when he's done, and we're extremely proud to have him on the team.

The best trade is a tricky one. My default answer has often been moving the 19th overall pick in S41 for a S43 2nd which ended up being Sulak O'Hritea, only to then turn around and trade our S43 4th round pick for 20th overall and still getting the player we wanted at 19. Ultimately, we jumped two rounds in a reddit draft and acquired a key player in the process of it. However, as time goes on I've started looking more at what is the Alaska trade in hindsight and was the Dekens trade at the time. In S42, we traded pick 10 which was Nicholas Falk to Texas for picks 13, 16 and Dekens. We then moved pick 16 and our S44 1st for Edmonton's S43 1st. Pick 13 was David Kastrba, who has been incredible for us and the S43 1st from Edmonton ended up being Alex Winters. Ultimately, we traded Nicholas Falk, Soren Kierkegaard and Tauras Kaurazijas for James Dekens, David Kastrba and Alex Winters. I think we definitely made out best in that deal, and I feel like that is probably in the end my best trade ever made.

On the other hand, my worst trade was easily the Luke Atmey trade. He was a fantastic player, one of the best. People just didn't offer a lot for him, I had two suitors and I took the one who gave me the most out of the deal. If you look at it though, I was focused on S42 being the reddit draft and I got a little screwed on that as it got pushed back one season to S43 instead, albeit to a lot of criticism from me. Due to that, I didn't get quite the same return out of it all and basically none of the players panned out. Mack went inactive almost immediately after I messaged him, Keenan was already inactive, Gardiner went inactive within a month and the other person who was going to be in place of him was inactive already basically and none of the picks worked out because I went too hard on S42 and then the league decided that I wasn't to have nice things in spite of the "every 3 seasons" thing and that it logically made sense in the timeline. Gave up a league MVP contender for a lot of pennies, and that's unfortunate but that's how things go sometimes.

05-23-2019, 10:25 PMhhh81 Wrote: What is Manhattan missing to take the next step?

Nothing.

Time, maybe. But really, nothing. We have 7 active defenseman, and an 8th who is semiactive. We have 9 active forwards. We have 2 active goaltenders. We have 2 players in regression, and we acquired them this past season, otherwise everyone is still a good way off. In time, we're going to have a lot of the best players in the league playing on the team at once and we're going to be unstoppable. Right now, though, we're still developing a lot. Players who are steady and have been on the team for what feels like forever are still 4-5 seasons from regressing and just about to hit 1k tpe. This is going to be a dangerous squad that just needs to be put together in the right order with the right strategies and we'll be taking off.