Create Account

Meet the Armada Part II: Augustus Wang
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 05:26 PM by Tomasnz.)

Quote:NOTE TO GRADER: OF 980 words, please reward 680k to @Ferda and the balance 200kish to me.

G'day sunday morning hockey fans, Sid Renfrow here today with the next in our series on the newest arrivals in anchorage. 

Today we sit down and get to know Augustus Wang, defender for the Armada and second round pick in the S49 SMJHL draft.

if you are new to the series, check out part one on Sam Michuad here.

What do you think of the simulation hockey league so far? Is settling in anchorage going well?

Quote:Anchorage and the SMJHL have been a very humbling experience for me because I was so used to being “the guy” on the team. I’m very grateful for having a great group of guys around me that have made the transition into the league very easy. Maybe a little TOO easy at times… But, I’m glad where I’ve ended up and look forward to making a big impact on the ice. We are making a lot of progress and developing a lot of chemistry every practice which bodes well for our future as a team. As for the league itself, it’s difficult for me to judge so far because I’ve been so invested in building up my team. It’ll take me a bit more time to really understand how it all works and how I need to play to make a big impact. It’s all about learning the steps to become a big fish in this league and training hard every practice to get the most of myself and the time I spend with the boys.

Followup - what has your highlight been so far?

Quote:That’s definitely a tough question for me. We’ve already had so much fun in a locker room and out around town. I definitely can’t tell you a lot of this on record, but the most memorable moment for me so far is the rookie hazing. I know you’re not supposed to have fun, but the vets went way too easy on us. There was a lot of rough-housing and wrestling after practice in the locker room which really brought the boys together. Not your typical rough-housing, but I’ll leave that to you. Any other details and I might get whipped by @Gwdjohnson .

What are your goals for the season? Rookie expectations?

Quote:My main goal is to become sounder defensively before I really try to round out my game. I think it’s important to have a good defensive foundation before focusing on trying to score goals because, heck, that’s more of the forwards’ job. Although Gabe really proved a lot of those people wrong in preseason. Expect me to be more unselfish and defensively responsible this season. The stats may not tell everything, but I’m trying to make the right moves to make this team better as a whole and if it means getting better in our own end, then I’ll try my best to accomplish that.

what has been the highlight of your preseason so far?

Quote:I’m quite surprised by the competition and the instant cohesion that the boys and I have already. We’ve gotten a good start to what should be a very fruitful season. The definite highlight for me was the win we got in the first preseason game. It felt like everything clicked in that one and we got the W. It gave me a lot of confidence in not just myself, but also the boys because it showed that we have what it takes to make a big impact this coming season.

How did you spend your first SHL paycheck?

Quote:I’ll be honest, I spent all of it on the bus down at Simulation Cannibis League (SCL) in BC where @golden_apricot  and @dylanjj37  watched me buy a bunch of weed for the boys. Thankfully, they gave me a sponsorship after I told them that we played for the Armada. They were Whalers fans, but knew what the real deal was with us in Anchorage on the come-up. Everyone, remember to use coupon code, WANG20, to save 20% on your next order on sclkush.com. When I first tweeted it out, everyone on my Twitter crashed the site. I’m not sure if it’s back up yet, but keep an eye out because they got some good shit.

Tell us something that the SHL should know about you that they probably don’t yet?

Quote:Even though I may go all out in the media, it’s all for show. At the end of the day I’m all ferda boys and you can’t change anything about that. I’ll stick up for ‘em when I need to and you bet your ass you’re gonna get your ass kicked if you step in between us.

Final question, and it's a doozy, the most important question of all... Pancakes or Waffles?

Quote:Waffles all day. Is that even a question? I’m a bit insulted.

where is the best place you go to get them?

Quote:It’s a tough choice, but I have to go with Cluck Clucks from back in Toronto. Pricey, but what do you expect, it’s Toronto, and it’s some of the best fucking pancakes I’ve ever had.

So there we have it another for team waffle, yet a recommendation for the best pancakes, conflicted? maybe! that's all we have for part II of the series, stay tuned for the third part later this weekend. Again thanks to @Ferda  Augustus for the time and to the anchorage organisation for releasing him for this.

Next up with have the replacement for Peter Larson, SHL Goalie of the future @"toirekari"  Ian Venables

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Use code WANG20 for a discount on the best stuff