Create Account

The Other Guy Awards
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2023, 02:36 PM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

Since I have been added to the SMJHL awards committee I thought they could use some help finding awards that will bring new buzz and interest into the awards show. So far, they have not been met with resounding applause, so I figured I would submit it to the league as they are clearly missed opportunities. So, for your approval, I present THE OTHER GUYS AWARDS!

The other guys look fondly at those that have left their mark on the league even if it is not “on the scoreboard” like some flashy players may have. It’s true those guys get the sponsorship deals, the fame, the women, or men, or goats (hey I am not here to judge), while the rest of us are here to pick up the slack.
The Other Guys Awards will be as follows:

MVP 2.0 (Most Vulnerable Player) Award

Biggest Cheat/Disappointment of the Year

Toughest SOB Award

The Wing Person Award

Mr. Invisible Award

Finally, The Back-up Goalie Award

Let’s get the award breakdown started by working from the bottom up to the prestigious MVP 2.0 award! Starting things off with the Back-up Goalie Award. There are a couple of rules to follow here. 1) The Goalies need to be true back-ups, so those splitting starts would not qualify (sorry Tibs). 2) This would go to the Back-up with the best overall stats as decided by me, and I would factor in playing for a poor performing team to boost your stats a bit.

Your Nominees are:
Apollo Peed – Carolina Kraken – 16 games – 2.58 GAA – 1 SO - .902 save%
C.J. Sparks – Great Falls Grizzlies – 15 games – 2.12 GAA – 1 SO - .912 save%
Ryan Burton – Yukon Malamutes – 21 games – 3.09 GAA – 1 SO - .892 save%

The winner is: *drum roll*

C.J. SPARKS!

This was surprisingly close for different reasons then you may expect. Ryan Burton had played 6 more games but faced almost double the shots that CJ experienced in Carolina. The fact Ryan had a shutout despite facing on average more shots stood out to me. But it was hard to ignore the Save percentage of CJ, so I gave it to Sparks with that incredible stat line.

Next up the Mr. Invisible Award, this award is presented to the player who has the fewest stats on the box score I can find. They need to be players that have played nearly the full season.

You Nominees Are:

Lionel Messi – Right Wing – Quebec City Citedalles – 64 games – 6 goal – 9 assists – 22 PIM – 22 BLK – 123 Hits
Theodore Lauzon – Left Defense – Anchorage Armada – 66 games – 5 goals – 7 assists – 34 PIM – 52 BLK – 70 Hits
Francois Bersier – Left Wing – St. Louis Scarecrows – 64 games – 6 goals – 10 assists – 10 PIM – 16 BLK – 107 Hits

And the winner is….

Francois Bersier!

Francois despite being a forward has only put up 16 points this season, which isn’t much but if you are lacking in one area of the game, typically you pick it up in another. The lack of Blocked Shots, Penalty minutes and average hits really made him invisible on the ice more often than not.
The Wing Person Award! One of my personal favorites on this list as it could go multiple ways. What makes a good wing person? Could it be assists? Could it be a defender that blocks a million shots? Could it be my best friend trying to help me take someone home late night at the bar with stories of bravery about how I stopped a bus before it ran over a kitten. When I approached the bus driver, I found out he was a deranged killer trying to take a group of orphans back to his house to kill them. I fought him off, saved the orphans and helped Mario save the princess to restore the 7 kingdoms…maybe. But for now, let’s focus on the best buddies in the SMJHL.

Your Nominees are:

Barefoot Sugar – Left Wing – Maine Timber – 63 assists – 143 Hits
David Doug – Right Defense – St. Louis Scarecrows – 247 BLK
Peter Tingle – Center – Main Timber – 50 assists – 45 Goals

And your winner for the Wing Person Award is….

PETER TINGLE!

Now you are probably going, what the hell he is second in scoring right now, and you would be right, GOLD STAR! What you didn’t take into account that I did, despite being second in scoring right now with an impressive 45 goals, he only has 5 game winning goals. He has literally been setting up the Main Timber to win almost every game! The guy is a WING KING!

When we think of tough, we think of those that put their body on the line each and every game, I give to you, and them the Toughest SOB Award. These unsung heroes pave the way to allow the goalies to shine, and forwards to move around freely or crush opponents as they enter their zone.

You nominees are:

Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez – Left wing – Newfoundland Berserkers – 2 fights (both losses) – 200 HITS – 42 PIM
Ace Lightining – Left Defense – Nevada Battleborn – 2 fights (both losses) – 105 BLK – 135 HITS
Rikaad Metzller Right Defense – Kelowna Knights – 201 BLK – 107 HITS – 42 PIM

The winner is:

ACE LIGHTINING!

This was tough, and there were so many more that could have been nominated, David Doug, Don Juanary just to name a few. But in the end I felt the Fights even though they were losses, coupled with being willing to block so many shots and dish out so many hits, Lightning is this season’s Toughest SOB.

We are just two Awards away from wrapping up the OTHER GUY AWARDS for this year. But these two are perhaps the most prestigious awards for any Other Guy out there. Well to certain degrees… I present to first:

The Biggest Cheat/Disappointment Award

This award has a number of ways they could go, typically it is a GM that wins this award, whether his season has not played out as planned. But sometimes players really step up and find a way on a personal level to get recognized for single handedly changing the course of the season or a team. With that being said…

Your Nominees for the Biggest Cheat/Disappointment Award goes to:

Setoah (User) – Michael Adams - Right Defense
- Suspended before the draft for being a terrible person, this essentially led to a ban as no one wanted him around.

TheSparkyDee (GM) – St. Louis Scarecrows
- An impressive run of late and mis-signing players led to a number of fines. Also his team has not been performing in any shape as expected sitting in the basement at this time.

Southpaw (GM) – Maine Timber
- Has entered a cheat code no one else seems to have and acquired every UFA and DFA that seems to become available. Seriously where does he find the roster space? Also manages to trade for almost every player available…Somehow league office still hasn’t been able to prove how he is cheating.

AND THE WINNER IS!

SOUTHPAW GM MAINTIMBER!

You got to give it to the guy, he’s cheating, we all know it. We just can’t prove it. The worst part, it is working out for him. His team is sitting in the Top Spot in the league right now! He’s received no punishment. Well, if you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying. Congrats and enjoy your award!

We have finally reached the end of the night. Man it has been a doozy too. Now it is time to reveal the MVP 2.0 Award. Often referred to as the nice guy award, or the Oopsie award. This goes to the guy who has been more of a curse than a blessing for their team this season. There are many different factors that could go into winning this prestigious award. Penalty Minutes, +/- rating, GAA, give aways vs take aways. Lets take a look at the nominees of the Most Vulnerable Pl. r Award:

MVP 2.0 Nominees are:

George Walsh – Goalie – Anchorage Armada – 59 Games – GAA 4.91 - .868 save% - OVERALL GAME RATING: 62
- George leads all starting goalies this year with the worst GAA, save percentage, and lowest overall game rating.

Dean Ventresca – Right Wing – St. Louis Scarecrows – 64 games - -35 rating – 71 GA vs 33 TA – 36 PIM – 10.9 shooting %
- Dean is not necessarily the lowest in any one category but carries a lower rating across a lot of different Categories, which may have stopped others from being nominated.

Theodore Lauzon – Left Defense – Anchorage Armada – 66 games - -67 rating – 28 face-off wins VS 50 face-off loses – 55 DFG
- Well…I have no idea how a defense took 78 faceoffs in a season, but that alone leaves a team in a vulnerable position, specially losing 50 of them with a 35.9 win percentage!

THIS YEAR’S and most likely only years after I get yelled at for creating a jerk award show, for the MVP 2.0 (MOST VULNERABLE PLAYER) AWARD goes to…

THEODORE LAUZON!

Theodore led the league with a -67 rating, being a defender forced to play forward isn’t unusual, being forced to take face-offs is very unusual. It showed how it hurt the team with a low 35.9% wins, which in some ways may be a compliment considering he shouldn’t be in the face-off circle. Pairing the fact that he only had 11 points this season while operating as a forward. Well folks there is you MVP!

Thank you to all our Nominees! You have been an amazing group. Please don’t forget to tip your Anchorage server, even in an award ceremony about the other guys they still can’t win. They need all the help you can give them.

AWARD BREAKDOWN:

St. Louis Scarecrows:
Theodore Lauzon – MVP 2.0
Francois Bersier – Mr. Invisible

Maine Timber:
Southpaw – Biggest Cheat/Disappointment
Peter Tingle – Wing Person

Nevada Battleborn:
Ace Lightining – Toughest SOB

Great Falls Grizzlies:
C.J. Sparks – Back Up Goalie

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

This is my Stanley Cup.

04-21-2023, 02:09 PMhockeyfan Wrote: This is my Stanley Cup.

Legit, I would love to see Toughest SOB to become a regular Award in the SMJHL and SHL.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

I kinda like for real the SOB ones!

Other are awards for inactives or not positive ones... but thanks for those ideas, it's really cool!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Can't believe I control f'd my name and found nothing smh. I give this article 0 b-holes.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

04-22-2023, 11:16 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Can't believe I control f'd my name and found nothing smh. I give this article 0 b-holes.

Clearly you need to try harder and doing nothing.

Shame.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride