Create Account

Crystal McLeod Funds Columbus Youth Hockey

(Article in Columbus Voice newspaper) 

SHL Enforcer Funds Columbus Youth Hockey
By Johnathon Gaudreau

Recently, the Clumbus Youth Hockey Association faced a crisis when long time coach James Jones passed away mid-season. Unbeknownst to many, Jones was independently wealthy and had been funding many of the city's programs since its founding. Thankfully, a donor was able to step in and fill the gaps. That donor was herself a product of the CYHA, Calgary Dragons Right Wing Crystal McLeod. Crystal is a 2nd year SHL player, as well as a local celebrity in Kelowna, British Columbia, where she played Junior Hockey and now resides in the off-season. Crystal was born and raised in Columbis, and had been coached directly by Coach Jones during Mites hockey. When she donated, McLeod's agent subtly released a statement from Crystal on the matter. 

"While I no longer live in Columbus, I am born and bred Buckeye. And it was because of Coach Jones that I was able to get the development and attention that resulted in my being drafted to the SMJHL and then the SHL. In his memory, I have made an upfront payment to cover the rest of the season. In addition, with the help of several fellow Pro Players, I have created a trust which will slowly increase funding for the program, with the intention of making Columbus one of the premier cities for future SHL player development, as well as ensuring any child can play hockey, regardless of when they start or how much money they have. Hockey is my life, and I hope that by the end of my career, there are a bunch of Columbus kids coming up to replace me, who had the same dream I always did, to live my life playing the sport I love."

This statement is extremely heartfelt, and shows the community roots and focus that Crystal has become well known for in both Kelowna and Calgary. It's also worth noting that this was done very quietly, with Crystal not chirping about it or even posting her statement on her personal accounts until there had already been significant media buzz. When asked why she didn't talk about it originally, Crystal said "Look, I love the spotlight, but this wasn't about showing off like playing hockey is sometimes. I did this in memory of a man who helped my career and life tremendously, and to grow the game everywhere I can. It makes sense in the context, that the place I go first is my hometown. I hope that I can be an example of a hockey player from somewhere without an SHL or SMJHL team that inspires future kids to follow their dreams." 

When asked for comment, the CYHA commented that the Association was having discussions on how to sustain and grow the program within the guidelines of the donation, but stated that the organization was extremely relieved and excited to continue play for all levels.

[Image: 8FnCVh9.jpg.]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

[Image: UmZVJaz.png]
[Image: 6gdbFeP.png][Image: auXbs4O.png]
[Image: 1oMA17u.png]