Create Account

Did Montreal find a Hiro?

Looking at the Montreal draft, you could say it was a pretty successful and special night. While the team had seen previous picks before likely their strongest of the night, they still got away with an amazing pick at 19th overall. Hiro Fujikawa was selected by the organization and while it still stumps Hiro's agent a little bit at how low he was selected, they also said they weren't surprised and are very fortunate to go back to an organization which they have a previous relationship with. Montreal Management were likely jumping with joy when they seen that their fellow signee was now about to become a draftee for their organization. They were the only teams that we're aware of that managed to take a leap of faith with him when it came to signing him and then they got to experience his potential and what he could bring to the table and they turned it on at 19th overall. Now, prior to being able to speak to the man himself, we wanted to have a few questions answered by their agent first.

Interview What was going through your mind when Hiro was selected at 19th overall?
Firstly, I was happy that he was able to go back to Montreal. He mentioned really enjoying the management and members of the organization there! How low he dropped though was a little surprising to us, but then again it wasn't. He's an amazing player, he's great and he's going to do good things. The stigma around me as an agent is false and should be removed if there is one. You don't want to miss out on the career Fujikawa is going to have and as he grows as a player, hopefully everyone outside of Montreal starts to see it. We're not upset though, as a party. 19th overall we're happy with. It helps set goals that are easily achievable, but may even give him motivation to push for further heights.

Interview What's next for Hiro?
We just came to terms with Montreal on a contract. The contract is worth 3 million dollars and did not even require an ounce of discussion. Montreal was willing to hand out a more than generous offer to our party and we reluctantly accepted. While money isn't everything, it makes life more pleasurable and definitely easier on this site when your pocket is full of bills and not quarters. Next, we're going to focus on evolving his game to another level. This is his first real season and he wants to be lights out at every level. Scoring is great, defence is good. Let's evolve.

Interview Lastly, for you, think Hiro is the next big thing?
That's a really big statement to make, but that doesn't mean I don't 100% believe he isn't going to be an amazing player. However, with all the strong and talented players in the game and soon to be entering it, you have to give respect to them to knowing that a lot of them have the same potential, but maybe with less risk. That's what we're trying to show GM's now. We focused on showing them we can control a good player and make one. Now we want to show them trust, loyalty and respect in hopes to earn the same back to us one day.

ONTO FUJIKAWA! We appreciate his agent being able to step in and answer a few questions for us. If those answers disappointed you, we apologize but with the fairly good interview with Hiro, hopefully that makes it up to you!

Interview How happy are you to be going back to Montreal? And, of course, to be drafted! Congrats.
Thank you. It was a really special night for me. It was a day I had been looking forward to the moment I got into the league. Last season, the small bit of it I played in, was fun but this is what I was focused on and building for. I literally at times couldn't contain the excitement I had about stepping on the ice for the first time. It was in Montreal, I had just signed a contract and man, that was fucking awesome. Sorry for swearing, but great. The fans, the boys made me feel special and I am just this new kid that can't control his shit. To be going back to that team that has given me that moment and memory as a player with a fresh career, I couldn't be happier. Montreal earned a place in my heart and it's home to me for a season for sure. Next year, we'll see where I'm drafted.

Interview What are your plans for this season? What do you expect for goals, assists and points? What are you looking to build and improve on?
My plans are to play my ass off and never miss an opportunity to train and better myself on and off the ice. I'm really committed to training right now and during this off-season, it's been an everyday, multiple hours kind of things whether I'm in the weight room, in the field or on the local summer-time ice! I'm really focused this year, more than I was last year and I'm continuously pushing myself for better and better and quickly, I'm noticing these great results.

For my achievements on the season, I'm hoping for rookie of the year. Unsure that will happen and that's okay, but it's every players dream, right? Goal scoring titles would be nice too, but that's later in the season. Through the 50 games, I'm expecting to grab about 13 goals and 8 assists through the year. I'm pretty happy with that knowing it's my first season. Anything around there is good and anything higher and that's perfect.

Training wise, I'm looking to evolve and change now as a player slightly for the betterment of my team and teammates. I'm working on passing right now. I've gotten my ratings from 40 to 60, which is a great sign for things to come hopefully. I think right now, that's going to stay there and we'll be working on puck handling and skating. I wanted to be better with my hands and my feet. Those are two of the most important things in the game. If I have those, the rest will come in time.

Interview If not Montreal at the draft, where?
tough one to answer as I now know nothing of the other teams, but St Louis would have been an okay destination, as would have Kelowna or Vancouver. Vancouver is an old team of mine, I spoke with the Scarecrows and Kelowna was my arch nemesis when I joined the site 40 some seasons ago so it would have been cool to go there and put an end to things, haha.

And with the end of that answer, a masked man entered the interview room with a labradoodle and spilled jam all over their pants. Interview done.

x2 SMJHL Media Bonus

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

I am pumped you are back in Montreal man! I love your avatar! We are 19th overall Brothers!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.