Create Account

Troy Reynolds: The Most Polarizing Prospect

Troy Reynolds: The Most Polarizing Prospect
By Brett Erickson

Right winger Troy Reynolds has made quite the impression in the SMJHL Prospect Showcase. So far, he has four goals and five assists through the first seven games of the tournament. He leads the Vipers in points, which comes as a surprise to some since Reynolds enjoys telling anyone who will listen about his defensive prowess. His defense has not taken precedence in this tournament. Reynolds has a single blocked shot through 7 games which is hardly anything to be proud of.

When asked about the lack of stats backing up his claims of defensive superiority, Reynolds responded very harshly. 

"Do you think that stats are all that matters? It's about effort and I don't lack that! When I'm on the ice, I'm in their heads."

Reynolds has been a controversial figure in the hockey world ever since his days playing in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. On the Blazers, Reynolds showed the potential to be a great two-way forward. He was everything he says he is. But with his skill came a ton of baggage. Last January, Manitowoc police officers busted a high school party due to a noise complaint and found many bottles of alcohol, along with the young star. Reynolds was not arrested, but many fellow attendees were not so lucky. Many speculate that Reynolds' status on the team gave him a certain amount of leeway when it came to this behavior.

Classmate Claire Brashears shared her memories of Reynolds.

"Oh, Troy. He was a cute one. But he would've been ten times more attractive if he wasn't so full of himself. He thought he could get away with anything. Stealing booze, crashing parties he wasn't invited to, it was so annoying. And he'd always pull the "Do you know who I am?" card whenever anyone questioned him on his behavior. On one hand, I hope he succeeds. On the other hand, I want to see someone knock his teeth out and make him humble".

This is only one of a handful of stories that corroborate the claim that Troy Reynolds has off-the-ice problems. From drunken fights at parties to destroying property, the number of incidents Reynolds has been involved in is enormous. 

On the ice, Reynolds has claimed to be a disciplined player. And that has held true through the Prospect Showcase thus far. He has only taken one penalty throughout the tourney. A completely preventable fighting major. Reynolds took the bad end of a beating from Kristoffer Svensson in the Vipers' 5-3 defeat against the Bighorns. Fighting has been another facet of Reynolds' game that has generated controversy. Last March, in the aftermath of Reynolds' near arrest, Reynolds engaged in three separate fights with Ethan Matthews in one game. Reynolds has his side of the story, which is that Matthews made vehement remarks about Reynolds' girlfriend, leading to the conflict. But one of Reynolds' former teammates who would like to remain unnamed tells a different story.

"See, the thing about that story is Troy has never had a serious girlfriend in his life. The guy just goes from fling to fling and pretends he cares before he ditches them for the next girl that catches his eye. I won't judge. Personally, if I had that luck, I'd use it too. But there's no way he was so invested in a girl that he fought a dude three times in one game because of some chirping about a girl. In fact, Troy didn't have a fling going on when that game took place. He leaned over to me before the game and said "see that cue-tip looking **** over there? Wearing my number [20]? I'm gonna make him my *****". He practically suckered him the first fight and then manhandled the kid the next two fights. It was brutal".

Last week, we approached Reynolds regarding these new revelations, and he did his best impression of a politician.

"That isn't entirely true, and that's just one side of a story. I'm not that kind of person. Growing up on the mean streets of Manitowoc, I've seen a lot. I know all the stories about me out there and they're far from the truth. I detest the crime I see here. The littering and jaywalking are out of control and we should worry about those things instead of whether Troy Reynolds likes to have a drink once in a while".

Despite the baggage, Reynolds' hockey future remains bright. But one has to wonder if these off-the-ice concerns will affect his draft stock. There's no denying his talent, but the question is if his talent is worth the headache he could potentially bring. Well. Troy has an answer for everything.

"I won't bring a headache into any locker room I come in to. If anything, I will cure whatever headaches are around. You can call me the Advil of the locker room".

Umm... you are the second best Troy, maybe Third.

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

12-19-2018, 02:02 AMTroy_McClure03 Wrote: Umm... you are the second best Troy, maybe Third.

I never claimed that Troy was a very humble individual. Or realistic. If anything, he's delusional.

Big Walter Ulrich
S69 Prospect

12-19-2018, 02:40 AMsharksisback Wrote:
12-19-2018, 02:02 AMTroy_McClure03 Wrote: Umm... you are the second best Troy, maybe Third.

I never claimed that Troy was a very humble individual. Or realistic. If anything, he's delusional.

Me Troy or you Troy!? This is confusing

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

12-19-2018, 02:49 AMTroy_McClure03 Wrote:
12-19-2018, 02:40 AMsharksisback Wrote: I never claimed that Troy was a very humble individual. Or realistic. If anything, he's delusional.

Me Troy or you Troy!? This is confusing

Me Troy. Troy Reynolds is the best player in the world in his own mind.
He also likes to talk in the third person a lot.

Big Walter Ulrich
S69 Prospect