Create Account

Patric Twist Overdue Player Profile
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020, 09:04 PM by Patty.)

First Article x2

Patric was drafted in S52 into the SMJHL by the Newfoundland Berserkers.  As we have the S54 season approaching quickly it's a little past due for a write up about this player.  Patric is an Irish born player that gravitated to hockey following a traumatic experience with soccer.  15 really is too young to be involved in a Pub league.  He's a left shot Right Winger whose greatest skills are his physical tools.  An exceptional skater with great balance and the strength you would expect from a hard-nosed Irish boy.  His game is focused on possession and positioning rather than stat chasing.  Though those 2 things have lead to some respectable point totals with 5 goals and 11 assists in his rookie season.  And 8 goals and 16 assists in his sophomore season.  He spent much of his time this past season on the second and third line proving to be a responsible defensive player.  

Twist has also represented his country in international play.  With Ireland and Great Britain rolled together in the World Junior Championship Patric played for the British Isles. In the round robin, he put up 7 points in 14 games with a +/- of 4.  They were bounced after one game in the medal round sadly.  He had no points in that game but he did lead his team in hits.  This season he's been selected to represent his country again and looks to make more of an impact with his Newfoundland Teammate Matthew Forrester as his center.  

He was drafted into the SHL in the third round by the San Francisco Pride.  The resigning of another player left SF without the cap space to sign Patric to a contract.  So the Pride recently traded his rights to Chicago.  Hopefully, he'll be able to get a contract worked out with them and he'll have a more permanent home.  If not he'll be a free agent following the SHL draft.  

On to some Q and A

Q: You’ve been with the Berserkers for 2 seasons now how do you like it?
A:  "Newfie has been great.  I've gelled really well with my teammates and there's plenty of veterans and alumni around the team that has really helped me find my footing in a new place.  We didn't get as far as we wanted in the playoffs this season but we're all looking to the future and expecting big things from ourselves."

Q: Why the number 22?
A:  "I like the number 2 but every good team has the number 2 retired so I went with 22.  Also, it looks cool."  

Q: You’re a strong lad, how'd you develop that strength? 
A: “Well my family ran a small potato peeling business so I got a work out carrying potatoes for my dad to throw at the slow workers.  I developed some of my other skills in the potato shop too.  Working with a broom all the time sweeping out potato peels taught me how to clear the garbage from in front of the net.  I got my quick feet from trying to stomp on the rats running around.  And from soccer but I think it was mostly the rats.  Oh yeah the strength, those potato sacks were like 40-50 pounds and dad would burn through those.  So hauling those around had a lot to do with it.”  

Q: What’s it feel like to represent your county?
A: "It is obviously an incredible honor.  Even though it really irks me to be paired with the Brits.  I'd rather have a half-full, all Irish roster than play with them honestly.  We've had to deal with them for lord knows how long.  That said I love playing the game and competing more than I dislike them.  We lost early in the medal round last season so I really want to at least get to the podium this year.  Also really looking forward to improving enough to get on the Irish IIHF roster and truly representing my country."

Q: Ireland isn’t really known as a hockey hotbed. Was it hard to get good competition growing up there?
A: "It was a little difficult after a point.  My parents were great about supporting me and taking me to play in tournaments in mainland Europe and Scandinavia.  But since there normally weren't enough Irish players to compete over there.  I often was a hired gun of sorts.  Filling out team rosters with injuries or players that just couldn't make it.  I think that's really helped grow my game.  I've had to gel quickly with all types of players and styles.  Growing up like another other kid I wanted to be the guy scoring the flashy goal or just dummying defensemen.  Being in those various environments and situations forced me out of that.  My game now is focused on contributing in any way I can.  Holding the puck down low, being on the right side of the check, backchecking hard, it's been good for me in the long run.  Though I do love making a defenseman look silly when the time is right haha.

Q: You’ve had an interesting road in your short time in the SHL.  Care to speak about that a bit?
A: " Sure of course.  At the end of my rookie season, I had lost some motivation.  I wasn't performing to the level I expected of myself and it got to me mentally.  I was still ecstatic to be drafted by San Francisco.  Getting to the SHL is every kid's dream.  And it really reignited my drive to better myself and my team.  There were some unfortunate circumstances contract wise but my Junior team was more than happy to have me back.  And I have really grown there this past season. I couldn't ask for a better place to be.  San Francisco traded me to Chicago recently and that's business.  I'm really jacked to be part of a new team and get a fresh start.  My Junior teammate and linemate Ryuuji is apart of their organization too so we get to really build something together.  We have Cups to win in Newfie first though!"

WC: 1025

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

Overdue agreed. Nice Patty!

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Woo he's alive.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

You fuckin beaut! Good luck in the draft bud!

[Image: Wally.png]