Create Account

[2x draft week] EAB's draft day reflection
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 01:31 AM by Evil_AllBran.)

I LOVE THE DRAFT!

I mean I wasn’t even in this draft and I was still hyped as hell! Spending the off-season in Australia (don’t ask how I by-passed the COVID travel restrictions) meant that the time for the stream was actually pretty good. I have heard horror stories from GM’s that needed to stay up through 4am when drafts run long. So having the draft start at 8am for me was pretty perfect.
I know I was excited for this draft because despite not being a morning person my brain woke me up at quarter to 6 in the morning, I guess I was subconsciously worried about missing the live stream. At least this gave me some time to grab a coffee and make some breakfast before checking in with my team mates from both Newfoundland and Philadelphia on what I missed overnight. Not surprisingly I wasn’t the only one looking forward to the draft, both of the locker rooms were buzzing with excitement.

Over in Newfoundland we had two of our rookies going into the draft, left winger and head of HR Emeril Lagasse, and the brick wall that is Jonas Johansson. You could sense the excitement and nervousness from them both, trying to guess where they were going to end up and doing their best to grill our friends from other teams for the inside scoop.

I knew they were both going to do well in this draft, they both had outstanding years. Emeril was a weapon in their rookie season with 13 goals and 14 assists. I remember in my first season I only managed 19 points and here they are almost doubling it. Don’t even get me started on Jonas!  17 wins, 3 loses and 1 over time lose. Notching up two shut outs, this guy was a BRICK WALL. However. these two brought way more to the team than just their amazing stats, they have both been great people to have around the locker room. Getting involved and keeping the energy up is huge, everyone knows the ‘Zerkers love a good locker room presence and these two are the cream of the crop baby!

Back in Philly, this was going to be my first draft on the inside and even though our GMs were being tight lipped on who we were going to go for I knew they were going to bring in some great people. Just before the draft got underway I jumped into a conference call with Honkers who was running the show for Philly, it was fun to get a little peek behind the curtain and get his thoughts on draft picks when they got announced, how they affected other teams or how that impacted our plan.

Being an expansion team we don’t have the history, the alumni and the culture that the other SHL teams have. I knew that how a player could contribute off this ice was going to be a big focus for the GMs when making their picks and so far the new Philly prospects have really made an impression.

Honkers did a great job to snag Hans Graf, D man from Colorado, at pick 7, Conner Snooks, left winger from Nevada, at 13 after trading for a pick with Edmonton and also Jeff Hopkins, Right winger from Quebec, at number 47. All of them have jumped right in and are exuding enthusiasm in the Philly locker room and I could not be happier to have them on the team.

I was so happy to see Emeril get drafted to the San Francisco Pride and for Jonas to get picked up by the Winnipeg Aurora. These guys are going to be real assets to their new teams when they get called up but until then I know we are going to have one hell of a time playing in Newfoundland.

Congratulations to all of those draftees who have now found a new place to call home in the SHL and to those that are still waiting don’t be discouraged your time will come. The journey doesn’t stop here so make sure that you keep grinding until you get the call up and make the most of your time in the J.

Man I really love the draft!

[710 words]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

Berserkers Berserkers Berserkers

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]   Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF]  Team Japan | S60 Gold

Man I really love the draft!

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]