Create Account

(2x Draft Media) Examining the Backhalf of the S61 SHL Draft

Last season, I wrote an article on the inactive players in the S60 SHL Entry Draft. It was, surprisingly, a success and got recorded over 170 views: loads more than I ever get with any of my shitty PBE media. I wanted to do something similar this season. But with this being a huge draft, combined with the fact that none of them ended up getting drafted, I decided to give myself a little bit less work. Plus double media is almost up so Daggy had to get into the lab as soon as he could. So why not talk about the people who actually got drafted then? There are a trillion articles out about the first 2 rounds right now. So, since I know nothing about prospect worth in context to the PBE, I'm gonna instead talk about those who were drafted in backhalf of the draft. Specifically, I'm gonna be looking at picks 51-102. That does only consist of 9 players. But, as I've realized on numerous occasions now, Daggy needs money. And Daggy forgetting to do the Mock Draft PT will not help one bit. So, without further Lipton Unsweetened Iced Tea, let's look at the backhalf of the S61 SHL Draft. 

#51.  Argonauts Seattle Argonauts: Magnus Galtisson (RD)

Magnus Galtisson was a late joiner to the S61 class. His short time in the SMJHL may have cost him from being a higher pick. But Galtisson, to his credit, has been working to improve his game since he was picked up off waivers by the Colorado Raptors. Galtisson finished with the 3rd best DGR among defensemen on the Raptors with 62. He also led the Raptors in hits during their playoff run with 18. While the Raptors did not enjoy a very long postseason, Galtisson made sure to make an impact on their defensive play overall. Colorado finished as the 4th best defensive team in the league, and much of that can be owed to Galtisson's solid play at RD. I believe with consistent activity, Galtisson can become a very solid performer in the SHL.

#53.  Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard: Rusty Remao (G)

Remao served as the Maine Timber's second string goalie during the S60 season. He only played 20 games and went 4-11 with a 90.2% save rate and a GR of 68: all pretty average in the grand scheme of SMJHL goalies. Remao only made one 4-minute appearance in the SMJHL playoffs where he made 2 saves. With Bloody Oath staying down, Remao will once again have to work for more time in the net during the S61 campaign. But their solid activity as of late could turn them into the starter on the Timber and, possibly, a major steal for the Blizzard.

#54.  pride San Francisco Pride: Patrice Bergeron Jr. ©

Patrice Bergeron Jr. was a bit of a surprise to see slip in the S61 draft. His stats were decent but not stellar: 24 points off of 9 goals and 15 assists over 997 minutes with the worst team in the league. Bergeron also was responsible for 0 points during his 4-game playoff run. Despite that, however, Bergeron has shown some solid activity and has the makings of a solid steal for the SFP. 

#57.  Inferno Atlanta Inferno: Michael Robertson (LD)

You know, whenever I read this guy's name, I keep thinking of Kramer. I know that the actor for Kramer was actually named "Michael Richards". And I still wince because it makes me think of what happened that fateful night in 2006 at the Laugh Factory...anyway. Michael Robertson served as one of the biggest minute players on the Maine Timber during S60. While his efficiency was not great, he was responsible for 20 points and recorded 98 blocks. The playoffs, unfortunately, were worse for Robertson as he recorded a DGR of 46 and scored 1 point during their 11-game run. But Robertson has improved his activity as of late and could turn into a solid pickup for the Inferno. Oh, I just realized the guy who hired and then fired himself as the host of Jeopardy recently is named "Mike Richards." Damn, must be hard having that unfortunate name. 

#59.  syndicate Chicago Syndicate: Chicago Bound (RW)

Now let's talk about a guy with a slightly more fortunate name. Chicago Bound had his wish granted in the S60 SHL Draft when he was selected by the reigning-champion Chicago Syndicate with the 59th pick (yes I realized he changed his name after the draft but let me have this). The player formerly known as "Peanut Butter" was, actually...one of the worst players on the Nevada Battleborn during S60. A GR of 51 and a +/- of -42 is not ideal for a draft hopeful. But Mr. Bound was fortunate enough to get his name called on draft night. 

#63.  Rage Manhattan Rage: Alexis Paquette ©

Alexis Paquette was a late-joiner to the league and only played 52 games for the Maine Timber. Damn, again with the Timber. These guys beat the Outlaws in the first round and still had all these players slip in the draft. There's no way these big league GMs don't watch the J, I'll tell ya that much. Anywhosit, Paquette scored 19 points during his shortened tenure with the Timber and was their only player with a non-negative +/- rating. Paquette didn't see much of the ice during the postseason, but did record 11 blocks which is pretty nice for a center. I think it's still up in the air on whether or not Paquette will remain active. But I think the Rage still found a solid pickup at 63. 

#69 hehehehe.  Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs: Barry B. Benson (LW)

It's my boyyyyyyyyy! Barry B. Benson is a standout pitcher in the PBE and widely considered to be the greatest Chicago Kingpins pitcher of all time. I see there was some trepidation to bring him into the hockey world. But, as we all know, there are only two picks that matter in the draft: #1 and #69. And Barry B. Benson won himself the jackpot. BBB had a solid rookie season with the Whalers and scored 21 points off of limited minutes, as well as 4 points during the postseason. I can vouch for BBB as a user and as a personality. The Monarchs did no wrong with this pick. 

#83.  Rage Manhattan Rage: Sebastian Weiss (LD)

Oh boy...where do I begin with this person? Dylan is known for a lot of things. What those things are...I'm not sure. And him slipping to 83rd overall is, in my opinion, a travesty. But, let's focus on the player. Sebastian Weiss struggled quite a bit on the Kelowna Knights during S60. He had the third lowest DGR among defensemen on a Knights team that finished with the 2nd worst record in the league. However, Weiss was surprisingly brilliant during the Knight's 4-game postseason stint with a DGR 72, highest on the team far-and-away. The Rage, in my opinion, absolutely hit on this pick. Just...make sure to give him whatever roles he wants. You should be good then.

#102.  Rage Manhattan Rage: Wing Wang (LW)

With the final pick in the S61 SHL Draft, the Manhattan Rage selected the left winger Wing Wang. Wang was another member of the ill-fated S60 Nevada Battleborn. However, Wang was actually one of the best players on that team. Wang scored 36 points, 2nd most on the team, with 13 goals and 23 assists. Wang was also one of the few Battleborn to record points during their short postseason stint. With an uptick in earning, I believe this could prove to be a great pick for the Rage. Looking at stats alone, Wang is one of the best people on this list. But as we all know, these GMs don't watch the J.

Thank you for reading this article or skimming through and finding your team or your player or whatever. I said this on my previous article, but I want to clarify that I am not trying to diminish any of these players or users. I tried to keep it as positive as I could this time around. This isn't a good time for demeaning others. Anyway, I'm gonna go climb into Dave Bautista's right nipple. Good day, everyone!
Code:
1420 Words

[Image: duncan_png.png]