Create Account

Putting the Pressure on Vancouver

Congrats to Vancouver on winning another Laurifer Trophy. However, I noticed Vancouver won by a large margin, which hasn't happened in a couple of seasons. So I took it upon myself to dig up FHM postseason results when teams had a large gap between 1st and 2nd place in the Regular Season.

The conclusion? Vancouver really should be winning the Four Star Cup in S73. There have been 10 times in SMJHL FHM history with a >9 point gap between 1st and 2nd in the Regular Season, and 8 of those teams have gone on to win the Four Star Cup. Quebec City are the standout exception, sitting in first place by 15 points in S57, but instead won the cup the very next season as the second-place team. 

The first- or second-place team has won 10/10 of these cups, so you should also keep an eye out for Maine. Interestingly, 9 of the 10 winners played the Regular Season runner-up in the semi-finals (and won 7/9). The last time the two top teams met in the finals was in S53.

Below is a quick overview of all of these results:

S53
1st - DET - 84 pts
2nd - KEL - 65 pts
DET won Four Star Cup (beat KEL 4-2 in finals)

S56
1st - VAN - 78 pts
2nd - CAR - 64 pts
VAN won Four Star Cup (beat CAR 4-3 in semis)

S57
1st - QCC - 107 pts
2nd - ANC - 92 pts
ANC won Four Star Cup (beat QCC 4-3 in semis)

S58
1st - KEL - 109 pts
2nd - QCC - 98 pts
QCC won Four Star Cup (beat KEL 4-1 in semis)

S60
1st - NL - 115 pts
2nd - VAN - 99 pts
NL won Four Star Cup (beat VAN 4-2 in semis)

S63
1st - NL - 118 pts
2nd - MET - 101 pts
NL won Four Star Cup (beat MET 4-0 in semis)

S64
1st - NL - 115 pts
2nd - COL - 97 pts
NL won Four Star Cup (beat COL 4-2 in semis)

S65
1st - DET - 120 pts
2nd - QCC - 103 pts
DET won Four Star Cup (beat QCC 4-1 in semis)

S66
1st - NBB - 102 pts
2nd - COL - 93 pts
NBB won Four Star Cup (beat COL 4-0 in semis)

S68
1st - DET - 109 pts
2nd - CAR - 87 pts
DET won Four Star Cup (beat CAR 4-3 in semis)

Best of luck to all the teams in the SMJHL Playoffs! (but mostly Detroit)

[Image: cNHA4sa.png]

Yeah yeah whatever can't see you with my mustache (bigger than Zedward's)
(Best of luck in playoffs)!

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]