Create Account

[2x Media] - A Holiday Break interview with Sunrise

The recording starts in a room covered to the brim with SHL memorabilia. A man with uneven hair looks static as he prepares himself to talk while on the other side of the recording sits a relaxed and rather comfortable Sunrise van de Schubbekutteveen, dressed in a striped light blue and white soccer jersey presumably from his village's soccer team.

Interviewer: Merry Christmas Eve everyone in Calgary, my name is Jeremy but you all know me better as TheSHLGuy on YouTube and welcome to this year's holiday SHL interview! Today we've got rookie phenom Sunrise Van de Schubbekutteveen, I hope I pronounced that correctly, either way! Sunrise, a pleasure to meet you, how are you doing today?

Sunrise: Vrolijk Kerstfeest to you, sir. And yes, that's exactly how it goes. Schu-bbe-ku-tte-veen, it's where I'm from after all. Hope the year treated you well and that the remainder of the year goes amazingly.

TheSHLGuy: Oh good! I always struggle with European names and I want to make sure I get them right. The year has treated me well and I hope it keeps treating you and Calgary well for the rest of the season. Thank you very much for being here today by the way, I know that not every player would be willing to do an interview on Christmas Eve. Do you have any specific plans this holiday break?

Sunrise: I intend to visit my relatives back in Schubbekutteveen, near Middelburg in Zeeland. It's a bit of a shift to leave back to a farm for a couple of days but it helps clean out thoughts and gives me the energy to go forward. My career's only starting so I guess I'm not at that point where you feel spent playing but I'll always like visiting my hometown.

TheSHLGuy: Some good ol' standard stuff then? Although, a farm? That's very interesting to hear. What does your family farm if I may ask?

Sunrise: Many things but the most successful crops I recall that we had were wheat, potatoes, tomatoes and carrots. Our farmland has always been pretty big and thanks to natural elevation, we've been able to avoid the floods more often than not. My old man isn't usually one to be taken very seriously but he's always been on the ball about our farm and I've also helped as I've majored in the field of biology back in university.

He seems pretty pleased whenever talking about his father, his relaxed expression giving off the idea of even more comfort whenever he does mention him. Nostalgic, perhaps.

TheSHLGuy: Interesting! With the higher elevation, it allows you guys to get just enough water without it being flooded. Also that's true! I heard you actually got a full on degree in university. It's actually pretty rare that SHL players get degrees as they're usually too focused on their SHL careers first and foremost. What field did you study and what made you decide to study this field?

Sunrise: I took Biochemistry with a bit of Biotech on the side from the University of Cologne. I've tried to go for things that were relevant to my family's farm but also that I found interest in. I don't see myself as some sort of prodigy but I think I was the smarter one of fifteen siblings and my parents were very pleased when they found out I had potential. Still kept playing hockey as it was something fun and I kept getting invitations to train and play so I decided to try and keep both going. Hockey would become my job but I do see myself going back to my field of choice once this ends.

TheSHLGuy: That's fascinating! Fifteen siblings... that's a large family right there!

Sunrise almost starts to call them by name before the interviewer interrupts him so they can keep on topic.

TheSHLGuy: And with a degree in Biochemistry, that's sure to open up plenty of job opportunities after your SHL career. Speaking of the SHL though, I'm sure that's what most viewers are here for. If we look back at the last five games Calgary has played we see you guys standing at a 3-2-0 record currently. Despite the loss to LA right before the break, is this the trajectory you'd like to see the team continue to maintain?

Sunrise: I would rather we won all games, that's the sort of stuff they pay us for... but yes, if we assume our growth is a progressive effort then this is a respectable run. We'd like to have more wins but we'll cope with things not going our way if needed.

TheSHLGuy: Of course! I'm sure all of the fans would have loved to see Calgary get all five wins, but as you said, you guys are a team that's very young and growing. It's very promising to see you all do so well recently. Especially yourself! Fancied giving the fans an early Christmas gift with a hat trick against the Buffalo Stampede? That was one wicked game for you, let alone your performance in the other games. 6 goals in those 5 games you're outscoring the number of games you've played currently as a rookie no less! How do you feel about your performance these past 5 games and throughout your entire season so far?

Sunrise: Hahahah... I guess it just clicked. Buffalo's a very dangerous team so I'm happy to have gotten that over them. The rest of the season has been an experience that I had yet to have. My time in Saint Louis was great and my time playing in Europe was also fun but the majors here do feel unlike anything else so I'm happy that I've been able to score these many goals though I'm aiming for at least thirty. Well, beggars can't be choosers, I suppose...

His grin stops as he repositions himself, he has to be more professional.

TheSHLGuy: Clicked indeed... you certainly found your stride. Being able to put up goals against tough opponents is certainly something that is going to get you fans! Doing that as an early call-up as well. Man, you really are something else! I definitely see 30 as a big possibility for you. Especially if you keep up the pace you're going at. Speaking of Yourself and Calgary as a young team though. Every young team needs strong leadership and mentors to help rookies like yourself. Does anyone come to mind when thinking of Calgary?

Sunrise: Well, when it comes to my position, I guess I'd say Sophie Bordeleau. We're both centers and I do look up to her though I have to admit I'm more of a self-improver. Not to say I'm against relying on others to improve but it's been part of my upbringing to try and figure things out for myself more often than not. Everyone on the team has been very nice, at any rate.

TheSHLGuy: Good to hear that there's good locker room chemistry between yourself and the team despite you keeping to yourself. Having Sophie Bordeleau is great to be able to rely on. A fantastic player who unfortunately never had the chance to shine in playoffs. Although it's a long shot, Calgary does have a chance of making the playoffs this year. How much would that mean to you and the rest of your teammates?

Sunrise: I think it'd raise spirits for one. We've been doing better than Seattle which means we're not the wooden spoonholders of our division, that's already good but obviously not what we need. A visit to the playoffs would probably help us improve as it'd show how good we got since the season's start but also present to us how playoff games are. Assessing how well we are in comparison to our opponents is key to improvement.

TheSHLGuy: Of course! I'm sure it would be nice for your own improvement and it would probably be very beneficial for Sophie to finally be able to get her chance in the playoffs! Either way, Calgary fans are all excited and anticipating the end of the season. Best of luck to you in that department. Now then, a good young team always needs to have young budding talent, are you hopeful about any of the recent prospects that haven't come up yet?

Yep, here he goes grinning again. Sheesh.

Sunrise: I did hear there were a pair of promising sisters and all, yeah, but I'm not thinking of picking specifics as I would rather not pick favourites. I think everyone we have in the pipeline has the potential to help us out. With the proper mindset and the proper opportunities, I think we'll patch up a good squad.

TheSHLGuy: Very wise answer and I'm sure Calgary fans will be pleased to hear that you believe in everyone the team has picked up recently. Well, I don't want to keep you here too much longer as it is Christmas Eve, so I'll simply ask, is there anything you'd like to say to our dear viewers, fans or others out there who might be listening or watching?

Sunrise: Well, if it's a message to the fans, I urge you to keep supporting us. I know that we're not yet the team that our fans deserve but we will get there sooner than later. It's a long road but with your support, the Dragons will be again a team that strikes fear on the opposition. Dankjewel en welterusten!

TheSHLGuy: Beautiful! Well said Sunrise, well with that, that's all I have for you today. Thank you very much once again for taking the time to do this interview on Christmas Eve. I wish you well and I wish you a good time on the farm during the break!

Sunrise: Thanks for having me, it was a pleasure.

TheSHLGuy: Good luck to you and the rest of the Dragons. And with that, that's all we have for you guys folks! Please do like and subscribe if you enjoyed today's video. This has been Jeremy or TheSHLGuy and I'll see you all next time!

The video ends with a bit of a delay, the two chatting along about something. Sunrise's shown shrugging.

Quote:Words: 1911

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR