Create Account

Coach's Tribune: Gwdjohnson Thanks his Gold-Winning WJC Squad

Code:
Ready for grading, around 1 500 words + graphic

The sound of the buzzer went to close out one of the craziest games of hockey I've ever seen, and it was met with deafening roars of excitement I haven't heard in my professional career yet. What I managed to do for my country barely even sunk in in the moment because of the pure ecstasy that followed that reassuring full-time horn, a horn that ended probably the most excruciating hour or so of my time involved in this sport. If I'm going to be honest, that final sucked for us and the team deserved a good solid ribbing for whatever the fuck that third period was, but does it really matter? The important part is that we did it, and that is what the people are going to remember. Back-to-back golds. I'm not gonna make this post about me, though. I want to thank the guys out on the ice who were responsible for this great achievement. Here we go.

Theo Morgan ( @Otrebor13 ): The star of the show this tourney, and an easy vote for me (and I hope other GMs too) for MVP. The leader in points for the tourney, and inspiring figure in the locker room, it was a pleasure working with you for this one tourney, and I wish you the best of luck both in LA and the men's senior team.

Aaron Wilson ( @aaronwilson ): Like Morgan, you were an absolute stud this tourney, putting up 18 points, and in your last tourney for Canada's juniors team you gave it your all as the #1 center and assistant captain. Best of luck in your future endeavours with Hamilton.

Jax Duggan ( @SecondSucks22 ): The no-brainer choice for me when I was announcing my captains for the team, you're going up to Hamilton having accomplished it all at the junior level, with a perfect send-off in your S48 both for club and country. You made waves being the first player to be signed via offer sheet, and I'm sure those will not be the only waves you make.

Atlas Rush ( @Rublic ): The final piece of my captaincy team, you were fantastic this tournament, and demonstrated why you wear the C in the J. You were the only guy aside from Theo to hit double digit goals in the tourney, and along with Theo and Aaron you made an unstoppable top line.

Lyle Odelein III ( @Huck24 ): You and Jax made an incredible top pair that did it all out on the ice, and in the finals your shot-blocking heroics were a big contributor to us seeing out the gold medal game. You scored 16 points in the tournament while also leading it in blocked shots, so I salute you.

Kasperi Braulin ( @TheFlash ): The Braulin Wall. You weren't very good in the round robin, admittedly, but that didn't matter at the end of the day, because you stepped up when it mattered, only allowing 1 goal against both UCORCAL and USA. In the finals you didn't look great on the stat sheet, but you made several key saves to keep us from losing, including the all-important one in the dying seconds of the game.

Raphael d'Alcott ( @KenitohMenara ): The man who rose to the occasion when it mattered, you were our leading scorer in the medal round, and the guy who kicked off the scoring in the gold medal under a minute in, also adding an assist. After just missing out on the last WJC squad, you showed this time that you belong.

Dale Miller ( @dmills3 ): The highest-scoring of our second line guys in the tournament, you did a fantastic job as an all-around forward who linked up very well with your linemates, and you will also be sorely missed in the next tournament. Best of luck in Hamilton to you too!

Cullen Gray ( @Gray ): You provided secondary scoring as well, and meshed well with the Vancouver Whalers contingency that we had in our team. You were recently cut by Tampa, which is hard, but best of luck in whichever city picks you up.

Gabriel Johnson ( @Gwdjohnson ): You're an absolute scrub that needs to learn how to fucking defend, but you scored the game-winning goal in the finals, so I guess I can let it slide. Change your goddamn build already, though.

Simon Leblanc ( @Briedaqueduc ): You were the only shutdown defenceman in the team, which is a godsend because Gabe needed one to play with in order to not get completely exposed on the ice. But seriously, you were a valuable player on the team due to being the only defensively-oriented blueliner, and you were crucial to the success of the team as such.

Max Rockatansky ( @jaimeac ): You were a very underrated component of our team's success, and a major reason why our powerplay was firing like crazy. Your almost 60% faceoff percentage in the round robin was crucial to our offence, and as a third liner you served as a great two-way forward who put up solid points.

Anthony Archer ( @Zach ): And now we start with the rookies in the squad. You were a lock to play 3rd line minutes, and despite not putting up much on the scoreboard, your two-way game and physicality showed that you're a great prospect who has what it takes to go up against the big boys. You could be a steal for the Barracuda at 12th overall.

Hugh Jazz ( @ThatDamnMcJesus ): You were the opposite of Archer, and put up solid 3rd line points while offering basically nothing physically. Seriously, 2 hits in the entire tournament? Hell, even Gabe Johnson had more than that. Nice goal in the finals though!

Delver Fudgeson ( @Massive Coiler ): On the bottom pairing you weren't exactly stealing the headlines, and due to a great defensive core you didn't quite have the opportunity to, but you played a solid amount on the penalty kill, and will likely move up to a top-4 spot with powerplay minutes for the next tournament. You went far later in the S49 Draft than I expected, and I am sure you will make my surprise justified.

Bo Kane ( @NONAME ): The 3rd overall pick from the draft, it's a shame that I couldn't offer you more than fourth line minutes, but you made good with what you got, netting the game-winning goal against UCORCAL. Next tournament you will be getting a much bigger role due to departures, and I look forward to it.

Jake Primeau ( @rangersbruinslightning ): You were a very pleasant surprise in this team, scoring 7 points from the fourth line, and even potting a goal in the finals. I think you will prove to be a great pick for the Renegades at 21st overall, and I also look forward to seeing you with an expanded role next tournament.

Knox Booth ( @Tate ): As the backup for a stud goalie like Kasperi, you were obviously not going to see much time at all this tournament, but the fact that you were fine with it, and even showed a bunch of excitement and enthusiasm throughout the whole tourney, demonstrates to me that you have the mentality to make it to the highest level. Draft day was very wild for you, but the fact that LAP was willing to trade a 2nd for you after already taking the 2nd best goalie in your draft, shows me that they see the same potential.

Conor Tanner ( @Keygan ): For a last minute transfer that slotted into the fourth line and played under ten minutes a night, you did fine this tournament, and no doubt have a big future for both Canada and the Blizzard, who took you with the last pick of the second round.

Haley Knight ( @satf ): You're in a similar boat to Fudgeson, where this tournament ended up mostly being to bleed you into the WJC experience, but you managed to net your first goal along the way, and pick up an assist in the final, so you made exactly the kind of impact I could have hoped for.

This WJC win is a crown achievement in my young SHL career, and I hope to make more memories just like this down the line. Managing Russia in the past tournament was definitely fun, but I went into the tournament knowing that it wouldn't matter how I did, so when I got bounced out by Canada right away in the medal round, it didn't matter to me. For this tournament, I felt under the weight of the world knowing that anything other than gold would be a disappointment. As DACH destroyed us in that third period, I couldn't stop thinking about how much of a laughing stock I would become if they managed to bring it back. But in the end, the twenty guys mentioned above ensured that we saw it through for our great country, and that's all I care about now.

So, we go for the three-peat next year, folks?

[Image: S48_WJC_Champs.jpg]

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM by Rublic.)

Canada Canada Canada Great players... Great Gm... Great Country... Canada Canada Canada

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates

Canada

Gold is how we do

Falcons Canada

It was great playing with all of you! Great team for a great country!

Canada Canada Canada

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Huh, I didn't know you were literate. Weird.

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

08-05-2019, 09:22 AMDaftRaincloud Wrote: Huh, I didn't know you were literate. Weird.

Rude and uncalled for Scrub

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Congrats to Team Canada! Hope you guys win it again next year.
Canada Canada Canada

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno