Create Account

IIHF Single Tournament and Career Records [DOUBLE IIHF]

There have been several exciting announcements across simulation hockey over the past season, including the IIHF. Along with the changes in the SHL that everyone’s talking about, the IIHF got a bit of a refresher that has been long needed. To bring some hype to the tournament this season, the IIHF unveiled a new logo to call its own as well as themed logos depending on the tournament’s location.

Personally, I love the attention this is bringing to the IIHF tournament. I have always loosely followed the international tournaments, both the WJC and IIHF, but not very closely. These changes will hopefully shine some light on the tournament that is supposed to bring some much needed action to an otherwise dull offseason for a lot of players. I look forward to it myself! Go Team USA!

With the IIHF tournament on my mind, I figured I’d use Canadice’s amazing SHL Analytics app ( found here: https://canadice.shinyapps.io/SHL-Analytics) to look over some of the tournament records as well as some career records to see if there’s a possibility that any could be broken in this season’s tournament.

Disclaimer from the app: Some data may be wrong as historical data from the first seasons are hard to dig up. Starting from S53 FHM is used to simulate the games which changes the statistics that can be exported. S60 saw a change in the update scale to make lower TPE players more impactful.

IIHF Single Tournament Records

Goals
13 - Ola Wagstrom - Sweden - S55
13 - Daniel Smeb - Japan - S56
13 - Bobby Lane - USA - S59

There’s a three way tie for the record of most goals in a single tournament. With 13 goals each, Ola Wagstrom, Daniel Smeb, and Bobby Lane all made a statement over a period of five seasons from S55 to S59.

Can this record be broken this season? It’s entirely possible. It’s a logjam atop the leaderboard with three other players having reached 12 goals and four with 11 goals. Most recently, Jimmy Wagner had 12 goals in S63.

24 - Bobby Lane - USA - S59

With 24 points each, Ola Wagstrom and Bobby Lane sit atop the record books for most points in a single tournament. Both of them achieved this mark in the same season they set the record for most goals, S55 and S59 respectively.

Can this record be broken this season? Along with the goal record, it’s entirely possible that this record gets broken this season. I’d say this one is less likely to be broken though, Again, Jimmy Wagner is the most recent player to approach the record in S63 accumulating 20 points that season.

Blocked Shots
64 - Nat Emerson - Latvia - S56
64 - Poopity Scoop - Finland - S56
64 - Cassius Darrow - Germany - S60

Three players have achieved 64 blocked shots in a single tournament. Nat Emerson and Poopity Scoop both reached that number in S56 while Cassius Darrow did so in S60. Conner Hutton most recently approached the record with 53 blocked shots in S62.

Can this record be broken this season? It’s hard to tell. There are a lot of factors that come into play for blocked shots, so while it’s possible this record gets broken, it seems unlikely considering nobody has been that close in recent seasons and we see the same names at the top of the leaderboard multiple times.

Hits
75 - Noah Gallagher - Sweden - S53

With 75 hits in a single tournament, Noah Gallagher stands alone in the record books and it’s not even close. Nine hits separate first and second place. Most recently, Zayne Rotzbua approached the record with 65 hits in S62. Good enough for third all-time but still 10 behind the leader.

Can this record be broken this season? I’m going to say no. There hasn’t been anyone ever close to this record for quite a while. This one is most likely safe.

Goalie Wins
11 - Artom Zhumbayev - Latvia - S46
11 - Beaujeaux Biscuit - Ireland - S48

Both Artom Zhumbayev and Beaujeaux Biscuit sit atop the record books with 11 wins each. This record was set many seasons ago, in S46 and S48 respectively.

Can this record be broken this season? Nope. The last goalie to even get close as Cedric Robinson back in S52 when he achieved 10 wins. I don’t think this record can ever be broken in the modern era..

Goalie Shutouts
3 - Jakub Aittokallio - Finland - S23
3 - Jordin FourFour - Sweden - S23
3 - Jackson Weekes - Germany - S24
3 - Mark Harter - Russia - S33

Four players have three shutouts in a single tournament. Each achieved this feat in the ancient times of the SHL. There are 13 players with two shutouts.

Can this record be broken this season? Goalies are weird. I never say never when it comes to them. That said, nobody has come close since S50.

IIHF Career Records

Goals
101 - Ola Wagstrom - Sweden

This is a pretty amazing achievement. Wagstrom sits 15 goals ahead of second place all-time. I wasn’t around to see Wagstrom play, and I don’t know if they were this good in the SHL, but they were a force to be reckoned with in international play for sure.

Can this record be broken this season? No. Daniel Smeb, Julio Tokolosh, and Theo Morgan are the only active players that are closest to the record with 81, 79, and 79 goals respectively. Given how painful regression is nowadays, this record will probably stand the test of time barring any changes.

An international playmaker, Tony Pepperoni’s record of 215 points faces only one threat in the near term from Daniel Smeb who is 11 points behind. After that, it’s not even close.

Can this record be broken this season? Surprisingly, yes! Assuming Daniel Smeb is still active as the app suggests and they make an international roster, they could absolutely challenge this record this season. This will be an interesting storyline!

Goalie Wins
86 - Mark Harter - Russia

An impressive record, Mark Harter’s 86 wins are eight ahead of second place. Just goes to show how dominant they were in international play for Team Russia.

Can this record be broken this season? No. I think I can safely say that this record will likely never be broken given the modern structure of the tournament and the impact of regression. That said, goalies are weird, man…

Goalie Shutouts
9 - Aleister Cain - USA
9 - Beaujeaux Biscuit - Ireland
9 - Mark Harter - Russia

Three players have nine career shutouts. Aleister Cain was the most recent to achieve this feat with Beaujeaux Biscuit and Mark Harter coming before him. Harter also holds the single season record.

Can this record be broken this season? No. It’s possible that this record will eventually be broken given the oddness of goalies though.

Final Thoughts: When I started this, I honestly expected to see that none of these records would ever be attainable, let alone in this season’s tournament. I will be very interested in seeing if Daniel Smeb can break the all-time points record. He just needs 12 points (11 to tie).

Good luck to all the nations in this season’s IIHF tournament. Go Team USA! Usa

Code:
1191 words

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]

Oh this is really cool. Nice media!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 01:09 PM by Chevy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Good article however for goalies I believe the tracker only goes up to season 60. Some of these records may have been or are almost broken already.

For example. Damien Vertigo of Canada had 5 shutouts last tournament in s64 which is insane when you consider how few games are in iihf

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

07-02-2022, 12:59 PMChevy Wrote: Good article however for goalies I believe the tracker only goes up to season 60. Some of these records may have been or are almost broken already.

For example. Damien Vertigo of Canada had 5 shutouts last tournament in s64 which is insane when you consider how few games are in iihf

Good point. I cross checked the stats on the app against the "official" records post on the forum which must not be updated either. 5 shutouts in a single tournament is ridiculous...

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]

07-03-2022, 08:17 AMthe5urreal Wrote:
07-02-2022, 12:59 PMChevy Wrote: Good article however for goalies I believe the tracker only goes up to season 60. Some of these records may have been or are almost broken already.

Good point. I cross checked the stats on the app against the "official" records post on the forum which must not be updated either. 5 shutouts in a single tournament is ridiculous...

Canadice only just added career stats to the analytics tool, so that post was from way back when Bojo Box was still working.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

07-03-2022, 11:52 AMartermis Wrote:
07-03-2022, 08:17 AMthe5urreal Wrote: Good point. I cross checked the stats on the app against the "official" records post on the forum which must not be updated either. 5 shutouts in a single tournament is ridiculous...

Canadice only just added career stats to the analytics tool, so that post was from way back when Bojo Box was still working.

Ah yeah, I see now... I did add the app's disclaimer to my post in case of this.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 02:45 PM by Canadice. Edited 1 time in total.)

Right, I keep forgetting updating the goalies... I will do that within a couple of weeks for the SHL and SMJHL as well.

Great article though! Nice to see someone taking a deeper dive into the stats of the IIHF. There are some real HOF careers in this league as well.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

Nice write up!

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]