Weaknesses
  • Poor offensive ability
  • Average Physical ability
  • Potential Mean Streak
Shoots: Right Handed
Jersey Number: 19
Height: 6’4
Weight: 218 lbs
Birthplace: Manhattan, New York (No IIHF Affiliation)
NHL Comparable: Mattias Ekholm, Radko Gudas, Jordie Benn

[Image: s.jpg]
Image 1. Holmberg skates into the corner.

Seen after a Manhattan Rage practice, three people are seen stepping onto the ice. The first is a goalie, whose presence in the net indicates that he is only here to stand in front of the net and try to stop pucks. After the goalie, is Mattias Holmberg. A former player of the Rage, Mattias would end up winning two Challenge Cups throughout his career. He also holds the record for most shots blocked in a season for his era, while also having an affinity to moving teams after a few seasons. The last player on the ice is Sven Holmberg, son of Mattias.

Sven could be described as a crease-clearing defenseman, a guy who will physically abuse any player that tries to stand in front of his net. The best part of his game by far is his defensive awareness and ability to play in his own zone. He can read the play, and most times he will be in the right position to cut off any chance the other team tries to generate. Physically, he is a player that isn’t afraid to play the body and throw his weight around. Sven will either pokecheck the puck away from you, or he will hit you off the puck. When he has the puck, he has the hands to easily keep the puck in his possession against the best checkers the other team can send. His passing is above average for his ability and potential.

On the other hand, oftentimes Sven looks lost while in the offensive zone. He has a decent idea of where to be and how the play is developing, but nowhere near the way he sees the ice in his defensive zone. His shooting greatly needs to improve if he hopes to be an offensive threat, with his current shot coming nowhere close to what his father’s was back in his prime. As far as his skating ability goes, it’s average. Not the fastest, not the slowest. Over the next few years, expect to see improvement in his skating as he grows older and gets to work with some of the best hockey trainers in the world. One of the more concerning parts of the game has to be his temper though. Sven plays a hard-nose style, but at times can go overboard. This mean streak ends up seeing him in the box more than he would like.

On the ice, Mattias and Sven are seen working on offensive zone drills. Mattias emphasizes growing Sven’s offensive ability, how that will get him farther in professional hockey than being good defensively. One-timers, walking the line, pinching into the play and getting back, everything that Sven will need to work on to prove to scouts in the SMJHL and SHL that he can grow that part of his game and be more than just a big mean defenseman.

After the drills were done, you got to see a fun 1 on 1 game against the father and son. Even though Mattias was older, he still showed his skating and hands were better than the young Sven. Physically, Sven could easily take the puck away, but body contact was avoided as much as possible. Though the score wasn’t officially kept, Sven and Mattias both had the body language that the final score meant just enough for bragging rights. It stayed close, but overall the elder Holmberg was able to score more than the younger. After they had their fun on the ice, we were able to grab Sven for a quick interview.

How has it been growing up with a former SHL defenseman as your father?

“It was great. Near the end of his career, I was old enough to remember being at the rink and watching him play. I still can remember going into the locker rooms and just hanging out after practices. Then growing up and playing, having his advice is great. Though at times, it can be a lot. I wouldn’t say he has ever pressured me or forced his advice on me, but when you’re on the ice you can’t help but think about all the advice he has given and all the things he recommends you work on. It becomes a sort of mental battle as you grow older, but recently I’ve realized that he isn’t ever going to be disappointed if I make my own mistakes. His advice is only to better me, but he knows that I have my own style and what worked for him might not work for me.”

I’ve read that even though you have grown up in Manhattan, you are currently undecided on international play and currently not skating for any one country, why is that?

“I just want to focus on my game and getting drafted. I was born and raised in the US, but we frequently head back to Sweden. I’ve skated around the world through different tournaments and friends that my dad made when he played. I’m not saying I’ll never play internationally, it’s just right now I have no interest in playing for any one nation. Even right now, I don’t know if I care to play in the world juniors.”

Are there any teams that you hope to get drafted by in the SMJHL, or even the SHL?

“Right now, not really. I’m open to almost any team drafting me, I just want to play. I just hope both the SMJHL and SHL general managers realize that I don’t want to play more than three seasons in the SMJHL. I’ve seen the SHL up close and personal through my dad, and I want to see it for myself. I want to be called up as soon as possible, and I will do anything I can to have that happen. Hopefully the general managers will respect my decision and don’t try to convince me down the road to stay down.”

Certainly a player to watch as it gets closer to draft time, hopefully he ends up getting drafted to a team that can handle his personality. I could see Sven being a solid defenseman for any SHL team years from now, but only time will tell if he can navigate the challenges of junior and professional hockey and make it that far.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

Great write up!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride