Create Account

My 1 Year SMJHL Review: What I Wish i Had Known [2x Draft Media]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2023, 05:25 PM by ThePyroAlpaca. Edited 1 time in total.)

First Off Good Luck to All the Season 75 Rookies in the Upcoming Draft! Don't worry where you go as all of the SMJHL teams are run by Fantastic GMs and will have a great Locker Room for you.

I thought I'd write a different type of Draft Media highlighting what i learned as a new user, not only to this SIM league but sim leagues as a whole, to help the season 75 new users so they don't miss out on cool things like i did. I am sure alot of what im highlighting is covered in the New Player guides but i am going to double highlight things that i glossed over probably but were super useful.

First off there are ALOT of discord servers depending on how involved you get into the SHL but id like to highlight a couple key ones that i think every Rookie should be in.

1. The SHL Main Discord- I didn't know this existed until half way through my season, mainly cause I am dumb, but i want to make sure you rookies know about it. If you haven't joined it yet it can be joined at the top of the page

[Image: image.png?ex=65720f83&is=655f9a83&hm=e7b...405f89270&]

Id recommend muting the server as a lot goes on there but its a good page to look at if your looking for something, just want to hangout with 100s of other hockey nerds, or have questions. Having access to this server will make your life easier.

2. Your Rookie Server- This is a great server to talk with your fellow rookies who maybe your SMJHL teammates, or future SHL teammates. My rookie server was a great time and we bonded over lobster gifs, I highly recommend staying involved in this server. If your somehow not already in this server, join the Main Discord and ask for help.

Finally, by far the most important Server is the one you will get access to on draft day when your name is called. That will be your Team Locker Room (LR). This will be your main hub for your first year where you will bond with teammates, get guidance from mentors, maybe have some games nights, and learn the ropes of the SHL. Its hard to beat an SMJHL Locker room. 
Other Servers you might be interested in are Card Collecting Server, Your IIHF team server, the WJC server, fantasy hockey server,... Pretty sure there is a parents SHL server...needless to say there is a lot of auxiliary servers that you are free to join if you wish. Links to alot of these servers can be found in the Main Discord

Next i am going to assume everyone knows about the portal and more detailed questions related to that can be directed toward your future teams (Ask them about the build tool). Instead id like to highlight someways to make money for you.

Take Advantage of 2x Media!

[Image: adgZcHd0-uYUuBnTfntVsGspKx-duqLt9UOqeoUC...743c2a6a7&]

If your like me you hate writing but also don't want to be a broke bum. Two times media essentially allows you to write half as much but still be able to afford your crippling SHL card addiction (more on this later). If writing isn't your thing and you are more artistic there is also 2x graphic media for things like signature,hockey cards, pretty much anything you could make in MSPaint if its league related. Graphics i know can be intimidating for some to start but please don't be scared to submit the best you got. If you want tips or tricks especially on how to do jersey swaps or what programs are available feel free to shoot me a message or i guarantee someone in you future LR will be able to help you.

Get a Job you Bum

Found In the Announcements Area, users will find jobs for around the league from everything from HO internships, Historians,Simmers and if your graphically inclined SHL Card Makers. Now you arent guaranteed to get a job, you have to apply and be chosen but dont let being a new user deter you from applying. These jobs are a great way to earn cash if you feel you can handle the time commitment and have the skills to do the job.

[Image: Untitled-1.png?ex=6572155d&is=655fa05d&h...075df912e&]

Chirper!
Its like twitter but for the SHL and you get paid for it! If you havent started chirping get on it! Its free money to post your thoughts into the ether! This pays 600K a week, thats what im probably going to get paid for writing this whole article, its the easiest money in the league!
Just remember unlike twitter (or X? does anyone call it X) keep it civil and don't post racist,sexist,homophobic or other things of that nature cause you will get banned. 

Finally I'd like to highlight a few more key areas on the homepage.

The menu bar at the top of the site- [Image: image.png?ex=65721931&is=655fa431&hm=710...800c72410&]
This bar holds the key to getting anywhere on the site. Want to know how you did in the previous days games (Check the SMJHL INDEX), want to buy some cool SHL trading cards and start build a collection?, check out analytics, or even look at a calendar so you know when things are happening? The menu bar will soon become your best friend.

2. Id like to especially call out the trading card portal. Found under "More" in the menu bar, it is an awesome extension of the site. I didn't know about the SHL trading cards for a long time but they're a cool way to pass the time on the site and collect cards of your teammates old players or even your GMs current players. Plus The card makers make some pretty sweet cards and are always looking to make cooler cards! Plus it gives you a goal to keep striving to get your own hockey card one day!
[Image: image.png?ex=65721cfe&is=655fa7fe&hm=920...4ee3fbb10&]

As a new player never be afraid to reach out, in any of your discord servers or even just a private message on the site. This site is alot all at once especially if you've never done a sim league before. The good news is this community has lots of people that are willing to help you get the most out of the site and the experience. Best of Luck in the draft!

[1216 words]

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

You never highlighted area 2, what is area 2 ! Ahhhh

11-23-2023, 04:10 PMsliceruser Wrote: You never highlighted area 2, what is area 2 ! Ahhhh
AH! I fixed it! 3 was a lie!

balance is restored

Great media, but every J GM is screeching at the thought of their rookies blowing all their money into cards

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Fantastic read as per usual Pyro! I agree many of these things aren't obvious from the get go and navigating the site was always the hardest part. This certainly helps out teach the new folk where to go!

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

11-23-2023, 07:30 PMFrenchie Wrote: Great media, but every J GM is screeching at the thought of their rookies blowing all their money into cards
Good I can't be the only one with no money haha

Such a useful article. It also shows how much more the league has to offer now that you shouldn't miss. Must read for every rookie.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Ah I still don’t have my 2k club card. Need to get it but I need to save money for training…

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Dump all your money into cards it is worth it! (I have 2 good pulls out of close to 50 packs)

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]