Create Account

Deep Dive #1 - The SMJHL S70 First 5

As I enter into my first season in the SMJHL, and I begin to get a handle on the stats that are prevalent here, I figured we should take a glance at a notable draft class. 70 seasons is nothing to scoff at, so I want to see the players in the SMJHL entry draft that season stacked up against each other for this Deep Dive.

We’re restricting this dive to the top five picks; the best of the best of the first round. Were they booming players who made their mark on the J? Or were they busts, leaving the wrong kind of impression on their teams? Let’s find out.

1. VAN Whalers selects - Bob Wehadababyitsaboy (RD/RW)

Starting his career as a right defenseman before drifting into right wing for season 71, Bob Wehadababyitsaboy didn’t quite live up to first overall status until season 72. In fact, his highest defensive game rating came in that season playing at right wing. Though, in S72, his stats were fantastic for having 3-4 less minutes on the ice on average. Triple digit saves, as well as a 42.3% faceoff winning percentage, he helped propel the Vancouver Whalers to the playoffs, even though they couldn’t take the cup home.

2. COL Raptors selects - Oliver Castillon (LW)

After playing as a DFA for Nevada, Colorado snatched up this prospect to help out their offense. 46 points scored in their rookie season with over 100 shots on goal, Castillon was a breath of fresh air for the Raptors… until they were traded back to Nevada the following season. After playing one more season for the Battleborn and making a deep playoff run, they were called up to the SHL, and their impact on the J unfortunately didn’t have much of an impression due to the lack of seasons played.

3. STL Scarecrows selects  - Dominik Winters ©

Winters might be the biggest standout in the J thus far. As a center, their faceoff winning percentage was never below 55%, and even though their plus/minus isn’t the most inspiring, Dominik Winters gave his team’s offense chances to score more often than not. Season 72 was Winters’ best season yet with nearly a 60% faceoff winning percentage and a positive plus/minus, and with his expertise as a center, St. Louis found themselves winning the whole thing with him right at the forefront.

4. GFG Grizzlies selects - Levin Schattenaxt (RW)

As a forward, Levin Schattenaxt made their biggest mark in their early seasons. Specifically, season 72 was one of the best seasons in the J for Schattenaxt comparatively, with 59 points; his highest in the J during his four seasons. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t result in continued success for the team as a whole; Great Falls only made it to round 2 of the playoffs, and only once, while Schattenaxt played for them.

5. REG Elk selects - Just-to-Buy My-Love (RW/RD/LW)

Just-to-Buy My-Love had quite a journey through the positions during their time in the SMJHL. Starting off as a right-wing forward, they didn’t exactly blow up their rookie season. But season 72, as a right defenseman, was a breakout season for them, with a plus/minus of 25 and 22 goals with 32 assists. Throughout their career in the J, they ended just short of 200 points with 191; a fair amount for someone who stayed down that long. While Regina never made it to the big game while My-Love was there, they were well in the conversation, and it’s no doubt that My-Love contributed as an everyman.

As the first 5 picks in the SMJHL Entry draft, I was actually surprised that many of these players didn’t make as much of an impact as I had expected. Sometimes, it takes a bit of luck to identify someone groundbreaking for the J, with the mix of new players and recreates to choose from, and especially in a 70th season. Perhaps my own season’s players will be something I look into in my second deep dive; but for now, I bid you adieu with a ranking of the five players we looked into today, from most impressive in the J on down.

1. Dominik Winters - STL  Scarecrows
  2. Bob Wehadababyitsaboy - VAN  Whalers
  3. Just-to-Buy My-Love - REG  Elk
  4. Levin Schattenaxt - GFG  Grizzlies
  5. Oliver Castillon - COL/NBB  Raptors Battleborn
Code:
703 words

[Image: 9kneOLq.png]

Approved

[Image: CptSquall.gif]