Create Account

The S47 Prospect Showcase Analysis and Rankings: Team Vipers
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2019, 09:36 AM by Fluw.)

The S47 Prospect Showcase Analysis and Rankings: Team Vipers

It came a bit late but I have been busy so without further ado here are my takes on the Prospect Showcase starting with the Vipers
The Round-Robin

Here in this section I will be breaking down each team and their stats during the initial round of the Prospect Showcase tournament. Also, an early Rank of each team and player from this initial phase of the tournament.

Standings:

1.       Vipers- 25P
2.       Stingrays- 23P
3.       Wranglers-22P
4.       Blazers- 18P

The Round robin phase of the Prospect showcase were extremely close for the top 3 teams with each ending within 2-3 points of each other meaning the playoffs will be interesting to observe. I will be starting the analysis-based Rankings from best to worst meaning I am starting with the Vipers.

Record:

The Vipers were the best team coming out of the Prospect Showcase heading into the playoffs, where it counts, for the tournament. Coming off a record of 12 wins, 7 losses and 1 Overtime Loss, the Vipers were well above a .500 Win Percentage and good enough to lock down first place among other rookie teams. They registered 74 GF in 20 games, and allowed 65 goals against giving them the best goal differential in the tournament so far with a +9. The offense was firing on all cylinders and there are some highly touted offensive prospects on this team it would seem. Vipers seemed to struggle on the road with a record of 5-4-1, however at home they were more dominant with a solid 7-3-0 record. Going into the playoff rounds I would be a little bit worried as towards the end of this current round robin round the Vipers seemed to have cooled off, and posted a 5-4-1 record.

In terms of Goals For, the tournament average was determined to be 3.21 and the Vipers ended with a 3.70 Goals for per game, well above their competitors. Their young guns are looking promising going into the upcoming SMJHL draft. As good as their goals for per game was their goals against per game was not so great at a 3.25 which was determined to be below league average which was 3.21. While having a strong offense the defensive game of the Vipers seemed to struggle. Now this is why I say you can’t blame the defense for the higher goals against per game as the Vipers had the least shots against per game of all teams in the Prospect Showcase round robin. The Vipers averaged 28.30 shots against average which was below tournament average which was determined to be 28.84 shots against per game. Now surprisingly the highest offensive powered team did not have the most shots for per game much to my surprise and came in second in that category with 30.10 shots for per game, sitting nicely above tournament average of 28.84 shots for per game.

How did the Vipers control each game they played? Well in this little segment I will be looking at Penalty minutes per game played, as well as Hits per game played and average Faceoff percentage for the Vipers. The Vipers played a disciplined game in comparison to their competition and the tournament average which was determined to be 5.60 penalty minutes per games played. The Vipers recorded a 4.70 penalty minutes per games played good enough for second among teams in the tournament. Having below tournament average penalty minutes per game is impressive considering the Vipers threw the most hits per game in the Round Robin. The league average for hits thrown was 14.84 hits per game and the Vipers were the most physical team with 16.75 Hits per game. Unfortunately, all the praise falls off here as the Vipers were terrible in the faceoff dot and their centers really struggled in this stat. The Vipers recorded a faceoff percentage of 48.64% which was the worst among all teams competing in the Prospect Showcase. The Rookies playing center on the Vipers really need to work on their skills in the faceoff dot.

Special Teams:
The Vipers were the worst when it came to their special teams which makes no sense to me. The most dangerous team offensively couldn’t get it done on the powerplay with only 15.79% conversion rate, way below tournament average which was determined to be 21.82%. The struggles didn’t end there and thankfully this team was disciplined as their Penalty Kill was also the worst in the league at 72.09% with a tournament average of 78.18%. This in my opinion doesn’t reflect poorly of the rookies on this team but rather of the line-ups used for the special teams in the tournament.

Roster:
In this section I will be ranking each prospect on this team and giving a reason why.

1.       F-Ravyn Tedisko – 20GP | 16 G| 14 A| 30 P| +/- 10| 14 PIM|

Easily the best player off this Viper Team. Over a point per game with 30 Points in 20 games this rookie was a monster in the round robin and is one player to keep your eye on in the draft. I can see her going early in the first round with this kind of performance. Easily A+. The highest point getter in the whole tournament. Truly a gem.

2.       F-Mika Kandisky –20GP |10 G| 14A| 24P|+/-15|4 PIM|

Mika is another player that is just a crazy player. He has ended tied for 2nd in points in the whole tournament and is only higher because if his defensive game as a winger to his counterpart. Another player I see going high in the draft which is in my opinion amazing that this team had such talent hidden away on it.

3.       D-David Hines – 20GP|3G|21A|24P|+/-5|8 PIM|

Why did I place him 3rd? Easily the best defender in the whole tournament thus far, garnering the most points among all defenders and ending tied for 2nd in the tournament for points beating out every other player on every other team. This kid has franchise defenseman written all over him.

4.       F-Onwudiwe Adebowale -- 20GP|12G|12A|24P|+/-11|4 PIM|

Being 4th doesn’t do this player justice as he ended tied for 2nd among all players in points however his defensive game wasn’t really as good as the other two players on his team which hurt his ranking here. Doesn’t mean this kid isn’t good, he is amazing and will go early in the draft without a doubt.

5.       F-Atlas Rush – 20GP|6G|12A|18P|+/-4|22PIM|

14th in the tournament for points Atlas displayed solid playmaking skills and there is a number of teams that will desire his hands come the draft. Has real potential to make a solid dent for any team that drafts him. Expected him to go in the late 1st early 2nd round.

6.       D--Simon LeBlanc -- 20GP|2G|15A|17P|+/-8|10PIM|

LeBlanc is a defenseman with a lot of potential and instrumental on this rookie team. If defenseman of this tournament were tiered he would be in Tier 3 of Very Good defensemen. Expect this kid to go late 1st  into the 2nd round of the draft.

7.       F-Heikki Jaakola – 20GP|9G|7A|16P|+/-1|2PIM|

A forward who had a silent but good tournament so far that needs to work on his defensive game to make a huge impact in the SMJHL. The potential is there just needs to harness said potential and could be a massive steal in the upcoming draft.

8.       D-Victor Toeman --- 20GP|3G|13A|16P|+/-7|2PIM|

Falls into the same category as LeBlanc as a very good rookie defenseman who has the potential to leave a dent in the SMJHL. Expect great things from this kid and he will probably go right around the same time as LeBlanc in the draft.

9.       F- Marc Palicka Jr. – 16GP|7G|5A|12P|+/-4|0PIM|

Unfortunately, he did not see a full 20 GP due to illness however in the games he did play he showed extreme promise. The 4 games may harm his draft stock so I seem him falling into the 2nd or 3rd round of this year’s draft. Whoever drafts him will have one heck of a player on their hands.

Goalies:

1.       Biz Nasty – 20GP|12W|5L|1OTL|0.892PCT|2.90GAA|1SO|

Goalies are always hard to get a read on in these Prospect Tournaments as they are almost always set up for failure however Biz had a solid showing this tournament even recording one shutout and posting a winning record. I feel most teams don’t really need a goalie currently so I see him going somewhere in the later rounds of the draft. Whoever does draft him though may very well be getting the goalie of the future with this pick.

Notice- I left out players with the ZZ next to their names, not sure if they are bots or not added by Simon, if they aren’t I apologize for leaving your player
(2x Media 1469 Words)

EDIT: Ravyn Tedisko is female. I didn't do my research. Fixed now!

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Hey. Great read and thanks for the shout out. And heads up, I'm a woman Smile

[Image: Tadisko.png]

Great article! Smile

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

04-19-2019, 10:59 AMDarkened_Rose_16 Wrote: Hey. Great read and thanks for the shout out. And heads up, I'm a woman Smile

Yikes my bad, didnt really do much research in that department, probably should in the future! xD

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]