Create Account

Mitchell Maverick - A SMJHL Pipedream

[Image: 15q8bbm.png]

The S48 SMJHL Playoffs are in full swing as we’re close to entering the third round. So far, the Raptors, Scarecrows, and Knights have been eliminated from contention with only the Scarecrows being a major upset coming in as the #1 seed in the SMJHL. However, that doesn’t stop the teams Hockey Operations from transitioning from S48 to S49. Part of this process includes watching the remainder of the SMJHL Playoffs of course, not only to stay in the loop of what happens but for player evaluations as well. This is the time of the year where teams are starting to look at potential players that may be leaving for the SHL next season and if there is someone on that team capable of fitting those shoes. Being aware of another team’s depth chart is just as important as constantly reviewing your own. Which leads us into the conversation of a main focal point during the SMJHL Off-Season, which is the SMJHL Entry Draft.

It’s fairly premature to start looking at all the prospects that will be eligible to be drafted this off-season, as typically they don’t even come out of the woodwork's until the SMJHL Playoffs are already finished up. However, we will take a look at one prospect today is hoping to hear his name called come draft day as he’s firmly acknowledged that the SMJHL is his league of choice.

[Image: f7788dd1-0f31-4670-8d15-21a6f5722020.jpg]

Mitchell Maverick, a Goaltender, from Bakersfield, California seems to be putting all his eggs in one basket here with the SMJHL. Reports indicate he’s being turned down North of the border by several Canadian junior leagues and perhaps rightfully so as his stats are screaming future starting goalie. Playing for his hometown Bakersfield Jr. Condors this past season Maverick managed to put up a .882 save percentage and a massive 4.89 GAA in his 24 starts and 8 wins. As mentioned, that isn’t a stat line that screams SMJHL worthy but it’s been his training this spring that might has caught some SMJHL scouts’ eyes. Take a look for yourself.

[Image: giphy.gif]

So, why do the stats tell a different story than the video footage? It might be because the Jr. Condors are woefully unprepared and outgunned when playing in the same league as the Los Angeles Jr. Kings, Belle Tire U16, and the dominate Pittsburgh Penguins Elite who were the TIEHL U16 National Champions. Looking at Maverick’s goalie partner his stats tell an even sadder story as he went on to post a 7.60 GAA with a .833 SAV % in his 13 starts and 1 measly win. So, could this be a case of a good player playing on a terrible team? Perhaps, however that isn’t for certain. Alternatively maybe we shouldn't put too much stock in a 8 seconds clip from one training session as well. Regardless let’s take a closer look into Maverick’s game and what type of Goaltender he’s shown he is up until this point.

Two major strengths emerge after reviewing scouting footage on Mitchell Maverick, which is his excellent reaction time, and his strong in crease skating. As an earlier clip showed, Maverick has the ability to read the play very well and predict what is coming next. Being fast isn’t good enough in the SMJHL, but you need to anticipate the play as well in order to regain your edge versus a shooter. Having a good hockey sense is a great sign for Maverick as it usually leads to a smarter player and a more coach-able one as well. If he hopes to make the jump to the SMJHL this is one aspect of his game that he must stay atop of. As for his skating ability? Let’s watch another short training clip that was posted by his trainer on their company Instagram.

Smooth mechanics and a powerful push really captures his in-crease technique. Not only is Maverick’s foot work solid, but his almost effortless energy exertion is another big plus that should get him into the SMJHL conversation. Just like reaction time, it’s not enough to be the fastest skater or most nimble goalie in net, you need that little extra bit. In this case, Maverick’s ability to keep his body in position with pinpoint squareness to where the shot is coming from gives him that extra edge in being set prior to almost any shot an opposing player will fire at the net. Just because a goalie can get there, doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to stop the shot once his movement is finished.

[Image: 2qc4gsx.jpg]

Just with anything though, short clips can be deceiving and game video does not lie. In the short training clip we see perfect rebound control with the stick, but that wasn’t the case this past season as rebounds seem to fly off Maverick’s pads every single time. It’s good to see him work on what appears to be one of his major weaknesses but in order to impress scouts he may be a little to late. Speaking of his weaknesses, let’s take a quick look at those as well.

Puck handling is as natural for Maverick as it is for Ben Scrivens, which is basically non-existent. Very rarely did Maverick seem to leave his net, even to stop routine dump-in’s, and it really showed as extended defensive zone time for his team turned out to bite them in the ass time and time again. When Maverick did have the opportunity to play the puck and alleviate some pressure for his poor defenceman, it usually ended up on the other teams stick or in the back of the net. The one place it didn’t end up? Over the glass, since well it doesn’t appear like Maverick can really raise the puck at all. If he’s wanting to play in the SMJHL that is a major red flag for any scout watching him.

[Image: 16kwch1.jpg]

The second and most alarming red flag was his ability to stop the breakaway, or a penalty shot/shootout chance. We don’t have the exact stats from his last season as even advanced stats are not that advanced yet, but we do know he saved one… Maybe. It was called no goal due to the fact the period expired before the puck crossed the line, after Maverick got a small piece of hit. So technically a save, right? Regardless this right here would be the biggest red flag in my opinion as it screams nothing but non confidence in himself. Every time a shooter is coming down on Maverick with that might wide open space, you know he’s talking to himself and doubting his ability to make a one on one save. If he can’t outplay an opponent one on one, I have serious doubts he’ll be as cool as a cucumber when it comes time for the SMJHL.  He may possibly fold like a cheap tent instead. Another small angle you could take on this is Maverick’s commitment to the game itself. If he’s truly mentally weak, how long could it be before he quits entirely?

But who knows, I’m just a lowly blogger for the SMJHL that is ripping this poor boy to shreds for nothing. After all, he kept his team in most games he’s played and that says something right there. Regardless, we may have our answer sooner rather than later as Maverick may be headed to the SMJHL Draft Prospects Showcase this summer. If this happens to be the case the most compelling arguments will be what he can do with a balanced team going up against future SMJHL players. Until then, we have nothing but speculation and although it draws views and creates controversy it does not paint a fair picture for these young men. Then again, with the SMJHL being a notoriously tough league to crack for a goaltender maybe this is the last time we'll ever really hear about Mitchell Maverick again? If you're a betting person, I would bet on Maverick going undrafted this off-season. Remember, you heard it here first!

Code:
Credit to TPG for the video footage
Words: 1386

@Carpy48, @sulovilen, and @Ragnar are signature gods
[Image: MaverickLegend.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]
Dragonite

Good stuff. I'm excited to see what you do in the SMJHL. Cheers

[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

07-17-2019, 06:06 PMWinter is Coming Wrote: Good stuff. I'm excited to see what you do in the SMJHL. Cheers

SMJHL I tend to do pretty well. It's the SHL where I've fallen off Laughing

Dragonite

07-17-2019, 06:13 PMLegend Wrote:
07-17-2019, 06:06 PMWinter is Coming Wrote: Good stuff. I'm excited to see what you do in the SMJHL. Cheers

SMJHL I tend to do pretty well. It's the SHL where I've fallen off  Laughing
Lmao! Just take it one step at a time buddy and enjoy the SMJHL for now.

[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Maverick Mitchell >>> Mitchell Maverick

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Hell yeah, refreshing to see a backstory that's not "I got .999 save percentage so draft me"

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

07-17-2019, 09:22 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Maverick Mitchell >>> Mitchell Maverick

Dragonite