Create Account

Winnipeg Aurora + Rangerjase Punishment

11-04-2021, 09:08 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: this is a serious question and not me being sassy, but has the non-offending party in an illegal trade ever been punished for it? Is there any precedent for that at all? I don't understand why people are suddenly expecting TOR to have babysat another GM to make sure both halves of a trade were legal. Has that ever been a thing? Hasn't the onus always been on individual teams to make sure the asset they personally are moving is able to be moved?

Like sure, it would be nice for a GM to be like "hey we might want to rethink this because your half of this trade seems illegal and you could get slapped for it" but as far as I know there is no precedent for that and no grounds in the rulebook for punishing someone for not doing it. Like, as a GM I'm going to mind my own house - if I see something egregious I'm going to call it out but I don't think it's my mandated responsibility to make sure other people know how to do their jobs.

I've seen people compare this to illegally double-trading a draft pick, where the onus is on the team trading away the pick to make sure they actually have it, and not on the team receiving the pick to triple-check the status of the pick they receive. However I would argue that this case here is different. We are not talking about a draft pick with a possible hidden history, but an actual player with an actual contract. Everyone can double-check that with ease - ESPECIALLY if your argument is that you specifically paid this kind of price because of the retention. Why is the onus on a team trading away a retained player to know the rules, but not on the team that takes that player on with the explicitely stated intention of benefitting from said retention?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Messages In This Thread
Winnipeg Aurora + Rangerjase Punishment - by nour - 11-04-2021, 02:32 AM
RE: Winnipeg Aurora + Rangerjase Punishment - by RomanesEuntDomus - 11-04-2021, 09:24 AM