Create Account

S71 Championship Week!
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2023, 06:28 PM by golden_apricot. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. hahahahahaha (3 tpe)

2a. If we are being honest with ourselves, to win a title this year WPG needs a rebrand. It is beyond comprehension this team can go though one of the largest peak tpe levels in this era of the SHL and not have a title. The other option is bring back FHM6 where there was much less parity. (1 tpe)

b. Buffalo will never convince me they are good. Lets be honest, it will take a lot for Tomen to actually build a good team That said they have been on a run and a half this playoffs so that might continue. But this is not convicning me they will be the better team. I doubt they will be. (1 tpe)

4. Buffalo will take the Challenge cup for one reason and one reason only, they are not Winnipeg. Yes they have the top performing goalie in playoff history (don’t check me on that) and have been performing well offensively, but the key here is to just not be a franchise who is more known for their choke jobs of late than anything else. Now that being said the run that Fantobeans is on right now is wildly impressive. This is how the last few teams have gone on and beaten WPG. The key to being champions right now is, similar to the real sport, getting the hot goalie and carrying that momentum into the finals and then into a title. I expect this to be the case again this season and I expect buffalo to win. All they really need with the goaltending they have been getting is 2-4 goals per game and this should be a wrap. (3 tpe)
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2023, 06:52 PM by Sizz. Edited 1 time in total.)

CW Trivia: Codeword - Bacon

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

I'll need to write these after the fact so I'll do a bit of an analysis instead. 

a. Winnipeg has put together an impressive streak of Challenge Cup Finals appearances, but has no hardware to show for their dominance in the west so far. What do the Aurora have to do differently to get over the hump this year?

I don't like to put blame on any one player because we all know the sim will sim but having your top goalie never have a playoff save percentage better than .900 is clearly not a recipe for success even if you have record setting offensive performances from your star players. (51 words)

b. Buffalo, fresh off a rebuild, crushed their way through the first two rounds of these playoffs after coming in as a wildcard, scoring two consecutive sweeps against two of the best teams in the East. Have the Stampede convinced you? If so, what sold you?

So if you look at how they won the majority of their games, it's obvious their defense and goalkeeping was one of, if the THE, main factor in their championship run. In 21 games, they only allowed more than 2 goals in 7 of them and 4 of them came in the series against Philadelphia which was coincidentally they're toughest series and the only one that went to game 7. (70 words)

c. Two very different teams took two very different routes to the Cup Final: which of them impressed you more? Why?

It's easy to have perfect vision in hindsight here but I was more impressed with the Aurora on their way to the cup finals simply because of the absolute mind blowing offensive performances they put up. I also didn't expect Buffalo's magic to take them to glory. I fully expected them to falter at the finish line against WPG. However, looking back at the teams they had to get past in order to get their cup, it's even more impressive and speaks to how important a great defense is in this league. (92 words)

12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won the cup! (Sorry, Micool.) What was your favorite part of the series? Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to have a better chance?

I think my favorite part in the series was it absolutely looked like Buffalo was stumbling across the finish line. WPG came in and blasted them in games in 1 and 2 and it looked like the offensive prowess of the Aurora was too much for Buffalo's defense. Then game 3 came in the Stampede won a nailbiter to keep the series interesting in an overtime win. Then the Stampede did what they hadn't needed to do often this playoffs which was win a barnburner with 8 goals. And then from then on, Buffalo did what they did pretty much all playoffs which was the play good D, limit the playmakers and keep the scoring down. They didn't lose a single game all playoffs in which they limited the oppostion to three or less goals and games 4 and 5 were no different. It really was a magical run for a wild card team and one that reminds us why playoff hockey is so great. (165 words)

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]

2a) The atmosphere is electric as the Winnipeg Aurora prepare for another thrilling encounter in their quest for Challenge Cup glory. Their dominance in the west has been unquestionable, but they yearn to translate that success into tangible hardware. This time around, they have their sights set on breaking the pattern and lifting the coveted trophy. Armed with an explosive offense, resolute defense, unwavering mental resilience, special teams prowess, and an ability to adapt, they possess all the necessary ingredients for triumph. The anticipation of the players and the unwavering support from their passionate fans create an undeniable sense of unity and purpose. The stage is set for an epic clash, where legacies are forged and dreams become reality. The Winnipeg Aurora are determined to etch their names in SHL history, forever remembered as the champions who conquered the odds and basked in the glory of Challenge Cup success. The journey has been long, but their drive and dedication will fuel them towards that ultimate moment of triumph.

2b.) First off, you gotta give props to the Stampede for bouncing back after a rebuild. They've come together like a well-oiled machine, showing some serious chemistry and teamwork. It's clear that their coaching staff and management know what they're doing. And let's talk offense. These guys can light up the scoreboard like nobody's business. They're scoring goals left and right, even against some tough opponents. It's not just one or two players carrying the team either. They've got scoring depth for days, with everyone chipping in and making things happen. Defensively, they've been shutting it down. Their defense is like a brick wall, shutting down the best offenses and making it tough to get anything past them. Their disciplined play and solid goaltending have been rock-solid. But you know what really impresses me? Their mental game. They've got this unwavering confidence and belief in themselves. They're not backing down from any challenge. They're embracing the underdog role and showing that they've got what it takes to go all the way.
All in all, the Buffalo Stampede's playoff dominance has been off the charts. Their rebuild success, offensive firepower, rock-solid defense, and mental toughness have got me fully convinced. They're making waves and showing the league that they're a force to be reckoned with. It's gonna be exciting to see how far they can go in this playoff run.

4.) Buffalo's success lies in their ability to shut down opponents with their suffocating defense. Fantobens' remarkable 0.929 save percentage is a testament to his brilliance between the pipes. He has become the backbone of the Stampede, instilling confidence in the entire team and frustrating opposing offenses. Facing off against the Aurora's offensive firepower will be a daunting task for the Stampede's defense. Winnipeg's ability to generate scoring chances and light up the scoreboard has been their trademark throughout the playoffs. It will require Buffalo's disciplined defensive structure, shot-blocking prowess, and ability to disrupt the flow of the game to contain the Aurora's potent attack. The outcome of this clash will depend on which team can impose their will on the game. Can the Stampede's impenetrable defense and Fantobens' brilliance withstand the relentless assault from the Aurora? On the other hand, can the high-scoring Aurora find a way to crack the code of Buffalo's defensive fortress? With the stage set for an exhilarating battle, fans are eagerly anticipating the showdown. It's a clash of contrasting styles, where offensive firepower meets defensive supremacy. As the final chapters of this thrilling series unfold, the answer to whether Buffalo can bring home the trophy or if the Aurora will once again assert their dominance hangs in the balance.

5.) The god-bear is this massive force of nature, tapping into the power of cosmic wind like a boss. It moves with grace and agility, conjuring tempests and unleashing astral forces like nobody's business. On the other side, we've got this wild herd of buffalo, all charged up and ready to rumble. They're all about that raw power and sticking together like a family. With thundering hooves and unyielding determination, they're charging forward, shaking the very ground beneath them. As the battle kicks off, our god-bear unleashes celestial tempests, creating swirling cyclones and ethereal gusts. But the buffalo ain't backing down! They push through the chaotic winds, their collective strength and unity carrying them forward. This cosmic spectacle is like nothing you've ever seen. It's a clash between celestial might and earthbound tenacity. Who comes out on top? Well, that's the beauty of it - we get to decide! Let your imagination run wild as you envision the god-bear's cosmic tricks and the buffalo's unbreakable charge.
So, gather 'round and let's watch this incredible showdown unfold. With the rules in our hands and limitless creativity at our disposal, we can create a battle for the ages. Get ready for cosmic chaos and earth-shaking power - this clash between the god-bear and the furious buffalo is about to blow your mind!

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: Spoil

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Guess Who's Back (150 words min.)
To say Winnipeg has been offensively dominant in their playoff run so far is needlessly charitable to their opponents. Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson has *twenty nine points* in sixteen playoff games. Mikko Rashford has *twenty seven*. However, Rebecca Montaigne has a 0.888 save percentage for this run. Can Winnipeg's absurd offense finally get them over the hump, or do they need to patch up their defense if they want to outlast the Upstate Upstarts?
The saying that comes to mind for me and for a lot of people is always "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships." The defense in this saying would be directed towards their goaltender in Rebecca Montaigne. I think at a certain point the offense of the other team will shine and the defense of the other team will shut down the Aurora top production unit. At a certain point you would assume that the offense will cool off, but you gotta hope that it cools off only in the off season and not in the last series of the playoffs this season.
This situation in the finals reminds me a lot of the year the Carolina Panthers met the Denver Broncos in the SuperBowl. The Panthers were the NFLs leading Points For and the Number 1 offense in the league and the Broncos had one of the top Defensive units in the league and they met in the finals. Unfortunately the team with the better defense won the game and the fire power of the Panthers cooled off at the wrong time when they faced the worthy opponent.

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg has put together an impressive streak of Challenge Cup Finals appearances, but has no hardware to show for their dominance in the west so far. What do the Aurora have to do differently to get over the hump this year?
c. Two very different teams took two very different routes to the Cup Final: which of them impressed you more? Why?
a. In the end, they will remember you if you win. No one cares about the amount of times you have made the finals, you will be made fun of for the amount of times you lost. And losing 3 times in a row will be a tough one to constantly hear about in our community we have here. Get the hardware and shut up the haters Winnipeg.
c. I have always been a fan of cheering for the David in the David versus Goliath story so I am super impressed by the Stampede. Not only have they entered in as a Wild Card and shocked everyone by making it this far, but they were also able to turn around the look of their franchise in a very quick fashion. Some organizations on this site should take a look and some notes for how to get competitive so quickly.

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 11:44 AM by Dindog. Edited 2 times in total.)

Trivia verification: Dindog
 Milestones
ISFL Affiliate

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max – Verification code: go leafs

3. In the great showdown between the great glowing North and a furious herd of buffalo, a thrilling battle unfolds in an icy wilderness known as the Arctic Stadium. This arena is an expansive frozen tundra, adorned with shimmering glaciers and surrounded by majestic snow-capped mountains.
The rules of the fight are as follows: Both sides have equal representation, with an equal number of participants. The buffalo herd consists of fifty powerful and enraged specimens, each equipped with their mighty horns and formidable strength. On the other side, the great glowing North has assembled a team of fifty elite warriors, comprising skilled ice manipulators and frost mages.
Despite the buffalo's immense physical strength and resilience, the great glowing North's ice-based strategies and magical abilities gradually tip the scales in their favor. They exploit the buffalo's vulnerabilities to gain the upper hand, systematically neutralizing and overpowering their adversaries. In the end, the great glowing North emerges victorious, their mastery of ice and strategic prowess proving too formidable for the furious herd of buffalo. Their combined efforts and creative use of their abilities allow them to control the battlefield, ultimately triumphing over the powerful but unorganized and impeded buffalo herd.

12. Honestly I was really surprised that the Buffalo Stampede were able to pull off the upset and knock of the president trophy winner Winnipeg Aurora. For Buffalo to go through and beat teams like Philadelphia, Montreal, and New England having arguably the toughest road to the championship. They were not expected to make it past the first round with not a strong team tpe wise and not a lot of superstars on the team. Yet they were able to make it all the way and win the cup in 6. I do feel bad for Winnipeg though because each season they have the most talented team on paper for like the last three or four seasons yet always just come up short.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 01:56 AM by Count Chocula. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

JNH

Code:

Code:

I quite like the route has taken to get here. They have shown tremendous loyalty to their veterans and also trusted in their youth. They have mamaged to rebuild without ever falling into the basement of the league. Some teams have been rebuilding for 10 seasons and habe mothing to show for it. Its impressive that Buffalo hasnt really lost a step.

Code:
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

I got Buffalo winning the cup this season. They have been on an unbelievable tear this post season. They are the Cinderella story of the playoffs. On the other hand Winnipeg seems like they are cursed and will never be able to get over the hump. Not to mention Steve Harrington is a legend and has the best hockey flow in the league.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, A Challenger Appears (150 words min.)
Buffalo hasn't put up the same offensive numbers as the Aurora, but they haven't needed to. Their points leader in Konstantin Selich has 19 points in 16 playoff games, an impressive number in its own right, but the Stampede's hero has been Casey Fantobens, their brick wall with a casual *0.929* save percentage over the playoffs so far. In a battle of unbelievable offense vs the stoutest playoff defense this league has seen in a while, does Buffalo have what it takes to bring home the trophy and send the Aurora back to Winnipeg yet again?

There is much to say about all the statistics of sports one could look at these teams and see them as a perfect ying to the others yang of playoff hockey. However there is less discussion that goes into the the thibgs that will never show up on a scoreboard or stat sheet. That of course is the importance of great hockey hair. Perhaps to the most important aspect of a good team is having a good head of hair, or flow as the kids call it. Having good flow makes the fans want to cheer harder for you. It can give a player and a team the confidence to perform at a high level. The Buffalo Stampede have the best lettuce in the league thanks to Steve Harrington. His legendary flow has propelled the Stampede to the finals, and it has inspired the Buffalo faithful. Thats is why Buffalo Stampede will win the championship.
W:155

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
Verify

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Butts

+3 TPE - milestones

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

1. CW Trivia +3

Verification: Sadge

2a. Grab Bag +1

As a member of the Aurora and watching from inside the war room, there is honestly nothing more that must be done. Management and coaches are doing everything they can, just running into some bad luck. How does a team smash through everything for months and then lose four of seven games. Just doesn't make sense. 

2d. Grab Bag +1

I am a procrastinator, so I see that Buffalo won. Sadge. Winnipeg should have won because not only are they due, they are clearly the best team in the league by far. I could see us going back to the finals for 4 more seasons. Will FHM decide that we are again too good to win a cup? I am sad that this could have been the greatest dynasty ever and it just doesn't happen. Almost like we're TOO good. 

3. Guess Who's Back +3

The offense definitely was flowing for Winnipeg in these playoffs. My player, Beck, was a big part in that too, putting up 22 points in 22 games as a defenseman, one of the highest point totals for a defenseman in SHL playoff history. We can't put the four straight losses at the end on Montagne. The offense only put up 6 goals total in 3 of those last four. It was just a combination of getting goalie'd and Buffalo changing something to put up a bunch of goals in some of the last games. After being up 2-0 in the series, it's a heartbreaker to lose four straight. Winnipeg has actually been up 2-0 the past two years in the final. While I think Montagne is fine, I feel like since the team is sop good, there is more pressure on the goalie to perform to a top level. Iirc, Montagne had a decent goals saved above average this playoff run. We just need to put it all together for a full campaign for once.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Code:
- Word: Mars

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [Buffalo] won the cup! (Sorry, Micool.) What was your favorite part of the series? Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to have a better chance?

- Looks like Winnipeg failed to win a cup again. Perhaps it is time for them to look at replacing the front office. The most exciting part of the series was seeing Buffalo come back and win. It seemed like after that heartbreaking game 3 that buffalo won, that winnipeg lost all momentum and seemed deflated the rest of the series. In hindsight, Winnipeg should not have gotten so down after the series was tied up 2-2. It was like they had no passion to play anymore and it was very disheartening to see.

TPE: 5

[Image: smurfunkel.png]
Sig By @enigmatic

1. Lotion

2a. I think with Winnipeg, once you’ve had that streak without success, you have to start looking like the mid 90s Red Wings at what you can do differently and how. It took Bowman coming in and teaching them a different way to play, a different way to win, and then they were finally able to get over the hump in 97, 98, 02, and 08 with those general lessons. WC: 69(nice)

2b. Obviously I’m doing this now that the series is over so it’s easy to say that yeah they convinced me by winning. The way FHM works, you’re pretty much never going to be convinced with an underdog team until that final second ticks off the clock, but Buffalo did what they needed to do this season. WC: 56

2c. I will say that the way that Buffalo made it to the Final was very impressive, but sometimes you wonder with a team on multiple early sweeps how that’s going to affect them when they finally get punched in the mouth, but they were able to make it work and got the job done. WC: 54

2d. Galaxy brain future Alaska knows that Buffalo has already won so that’s all good there. Truthfully before the series, I would have guessed that Winnipeg would get it done this year, but that’s probably the same thing that we have been saying for multiple seasons now. It didn’t play out that way, but there’s always next year for them. WC: 59

3. There’s a reason that the age old saying is that defense wins championships. But when your goalie is putting up a .888 SV%, that’s not good enough. Teams can only get so far without having their goalie be able to make a consistent save, and I wonder at what point would that catch up with the Aurora. I think for them, you certainly don’t want to stifle the offense, but you do need to get your defense on board. Not sure if that’s a matter of getting your goalie to make a save or if your defense isn’t doing much of anything, but they need some help and I would except them to look to change that after yet another disappointing ending to the year. I said at the beginning of this paragraph that defense wins championships, but sometimes I think it’s more so that defense can also lose you a championship if it’s not good enough. WC: 157

Total TPE: 8

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

1. CW TRIVIA
gimmeteps

2. Grab Bag

b. It's easy to be impressed by the buffalo stampede when you see them dominate the two first round and bring philly to the brink and end up winning the final match, which is the most important in all series. Getting out multiple of the best team in their own division is all that matter when rushing to the finals. 59
c. Winnipeg had an easy first round but struggled against chicago, which put their run in jeopardy right from the second round. Fortunately for them, they bounced up against edm, only dropping one. On the other hand, buffalo took the playoff by surprise by outting both montreal and new england right from the start in swept. That's impressive. 57

14. Affiliate
https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=604208

8/8

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Code:

scotty

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Code:

Verification: FuckHamilton

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! How far do you realistically expect to go this year? What nations do you want to match up against, and which do you dread?
Last Season the IIHF tournament was quite crazy. There were like several teams at the top of the standings who figured to medal but that's not quite what happened. Of the top 4 seeds only Sweden made it to the medal rounds and the 7th and 8th seeds did extremely well with the 7th winning it all. I am very hopeful that this trend continues since I despise FHM and think it's a have or havenot engine so anytime the lower seeds break through it is a great benefit to the league. As far as the US we are hoping to steadily gain ground and move up in the seedings. Having won the WJC a couple seasons back we have a ton of young and upcoming players who will soon be entering their primes. The hope is this will carry us over the more established teams. Personally I look forward to playing Canada. The US/Canada rivalry is always one of the best in hockey regardless of level. So I'm definitely looking forward to whipping some Canadian ass this IIHF.

Code:
11. Written, 3 TPE, Civil War (150 words min.)
How does your player feel about playing against SHL teammates in the IIHF? Do you ease up on your hits, or do you go harder? Do you grin at each other across the ice, or is this a point of national pride?

Dusty Rhodes always plays as hard as he can regardless of who he is playing against. Once the game starts he is always going to forget any loyalties to any opposition player and do his best to make sure his country comes out on top. A prime example of this is the last IIHF tournament. There was only 1 fight in the entire tournament. And of course it was Dusty Rhodes coming out victorious. Who did he beat? He pummeled Spectres teammate Nikolaj Boyle. So that goes to show Rhodes has an intensity all his own and when it's game time if you're not in the same uniform he's going to come for you. Of course this doesn't earn him any points with Spectres management. But Dusty only knows how to play one way, all or nothing. This is why he is especially beloved by the fans who love to cheer him on. The Spectres are hoping he chooses to pick on someone else in the upcoming tourney.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]