Create Account

S57 PT #4 - Rivalry Week

Chicago being a newer team compared to most probably has less profound rivalries than most teams. In the early seasons of Chicago, Manhattan was probably the biggest rival playing them 3 times in the playoffs, beating them once in 5 and losing twice in 7. Since then the whole great lakes is probably the real answer with Buffalo Hamilton and Chicago all being some of the top teams for a few seasons now, With Toronto coming out of the rebuild and on their way to be a top team too now the rivalry in the great lakes will probably get even more intense. If I had to pick one team it would probably be Buffalo I guess since they've beat Chicago in the playoffs 3 times in a row now and will likely vs each other again this upcoming playoffs barring any upsets for who gets to play Hamilton in the finals.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

I think for the Chicago Syndicate it's hard to pick just one rival, you could argue rivalries with the Buffalo Stampede, Hamilton Steelhawks, and the Manhattan Rage. I think since it's so hard to pick just one team out of all of those, i'll just go with the Great Lakes Division in general which seems to get more competitive each and every year since we moved to this format. If the division is not THE most competitive in SHL history then it's certainly near or at the top. Every year each team in the division seems to make some big move to try to overtake the others which leads to a chain effect in the division of the other teams making equally big or bigger moves to try and top that team and give themselves the edge going into the season. It'll be interesting to see how this division rivalry develops over the next few years.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

The Toronto North Stars don't particularly have any rivalries of note at the moment. This is probably because we are currently getting over the rebuilding phase of a franchise. Not going to the playoffs is kind of a limiting factor on being able to have rivalries because that is where things start to matter and the intense meter increases by about 1000 so things can get heated. One franchise though I could see us starting to get chippy with is the Tampa Bay Barracuda. The reason I think this is because they are also a rebuilding team that is about to be a pretty dominant force in the league right around the same time as us so chances are pretty high that we will be constantly seeing each other deep into the playoffs for many seasons to come. I can easily see it now Juni Panda, one of the chippiest forwards in the league, chirping back and forth with well known talker Michael Fitted in some exciting playoff games. Can't wait for the future of the league to see what rivalries start to form up for the Stars.

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

The last true rivalry I had was in the SMJHL when I was a Scarecrow. Of course it's the biggest rivalry in the J and that's the Scarecrow-Falcons rivalry. We hated them so much that we had our own slogan for them, including ripping on their logo and slogan. I remembered how playing Detroit always brought out the best against us, I scored my first career hat trick against Detroit in my 3rd season. While we never matched up against them during the playoffs while I was a Crow it's still a rivalry that burns deep for me.

While the Wolfpack don't really have a big time rival even though it seems like Atlanta is starting to become one. Ever since our Co-GM left to take over Atlanta their always seemed to be a little animosity, and now the past 2 seasons we have been battling each other for playoff spots. While it's only been 2 seasons I think this budding rivalry might turn into something serious in a couple of seasons.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]

Hugo Gronroos is a newbie to the SHL. Not even as a hockey playing lad was he familiar with many of the SHL teams. As a result, Hugo has yet to develop a legitimate hatred or rivalry with another team. That does not mean that Hugo doesn't have particularly strong feelings towards teams, just that the criteria for his ire is much less personal than a typical rivalry. Hugo judges his hated enemies by their presentation, if he doesn't know who they are. As such, Hugo regards the Argonauts as the most vile of SHL teams. The stare from the logo really gives Hugo the creeps, and the colors give him and uneasy feeling. They're very uncomfortable on the eyes, and the mind. Once Hugo has finally arrived in the SHL, perhaps his feelings will change. Perhaps, instead of a trite criteria, he will develop a more substantiated hatred for a team, or teams.

[Image: bXyuiQK.png?2]
Alucard,Apr 14 2016, 03:33 PM Wrote:May the harvest be with you, young spud.
enigmatic,Aug 26 2016, 10:05 AM Wrote:Jedi could have 1 TPE and still improve any team [Image: ashamed0001.gif]
[Image: uyTKBKH.png]
[Image: jSQTZY7.png]

First ever Norwegian IIHF Goal!!
Code:
2. Team Norway , Jackson Rodgers-Tanaka 1 (Isabella Esparza-Osvaldson, Aleksander Andrezjeck) at 5:50

Special Thanks to Count Chocula for the Hugo G sig <3

The obvious answer when asking who the Québec City Citadelles' rivals are is the Nevada Battleborn because both teams entered the SMJHL at the same time and will constantly be compared as the two newest expansion teams. Even if the league expands some more later on, Québec and Nevada will probably keep getting compared.

Since this is the holiday season, I'm not gonna trash the Battleborn and I'll be fair. I think both teams did really well so far and having results close to .500 would already be a pretty big accomplishment for those three-year old teams. Obviously, Québec is murdering everyone this season but Nevada is doing quite well too, sitting at the third position in the Western Conference.

Having those two teams do so well so quickly can only be good for the SMJHL. Nobody likes being on a bad team and even if you expect to do bad when you are drafted by an expansion team, it's rewarding to see all our hard work giving us something so quickly and it can only be healthy for this rivalry too.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

The biggest rivalry in the shl has to be Hamilton and Buffalo. They have battled each other too many times in the past decade in the finals to not be rivals with one another. It seems like as of late it's going to be one or another going to win a cup or be the best team in the league. It has been interesting to see these two teams play each other every year and I think it's going to be a rivalry that's going to extend in the S60s moving forward. These two teams hate each on the ice and always try to make the moves necessary to make sure they are in contention for the challenge cup. It's going to be interesting if the balance changes in the league and to see if these two teams in the same division do not win the next couple of cups in the shl.

PBE Cross Claim

I would hope that the championship week counts considering it's many more words than required here.

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

For this Point Task, I will be talking about the Hamilton Steelhawks since I am on the team and have been on the team for over 5 seasons now sadly. There are many different rivals that the team has had over the seasons however there only really is one that comes to mind when I think about it. I think this rival is pretty obvious to most people on the site and I am sure many others would agree that this is the Hamilton Steelhawks greatest rivalry. So who is it you ask? Well the rival that I am talking about is the Minnesota Chiefs. Yes, the Minnesota Chiefs. This should come as no surprise like I said. There truly is a deep history between these two teams that go way back. There is a lot of hatred between the teams because they have met in the regular season a bunch of teams and the games have always been close. This is a classic hockey rivalry.

[Image: 3.png]

I think right now, in my opinion, The Manhattan Rage's biggest rivals are the Buffalo Stampede. Being that I've only been on the team for one full season, I'm basing this off very recent history. In reality, I think you could use any of Chicago, Hamilton or Buffalo for this but I think Buffalo is still the one that should be chosen. I've picked Buffalo for two reasons. The first reason is that they are still the barometer in the league. Yes the Steelhawks have passed them in the standings but they've gone from 1st in the league to 2nd in the league. If you want to be elite, you need to take down the champs. The second reason is the fact that they took us out last year in the playoffs. If I remember correctly, the series came down to 7 games and they took us out. When you get so close, you'll always hype yourselves up for the next opportunity.

Code:
162 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

I haven’t really been around enough to really know who the Blizzards true rivals are. I could say its Hamilton for winning the season 51 and 53 cup finals over the Blizzard and then edging us out in season 56 to go on to the finals and win yet another cup. I could say its New Orleans for eliminating us in seasons 50, 54, and 55 including two disappointingly in the 1st round. But then I look at the playoff history of the Blizzard I see a lot of series wins and losses against the Calgary Dragons. I cant help but feel this is what makes a rivalry. These two teams seem to match up almost every playoffs and end up crushing the dreams of the losing team. Once again we find ourselves tied in a race for first in the West and I look forward to the prospect of besting them in this years playoffs. Nothing against anyone on the Dragons though, and I think their rebranding is really good.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I've experienced a few rivalries in my players career. First being the Detroit Falcons while playing with the St. Louis Scarecrows. It was a great introduction into SHL rivalries for sure! Heading into to SHL, New Orleans was a realitivly new team in the league, playing the Buffalo Stampede twice in the Challenge Cup finals probably makes them one of our bigger playoff rivals. I'd also say the Edmonton Blizzard would be up there too. We have had some solid match ups with them over the seasons and being in the same conference helps here too. There was also some good games against the Los Angeles Panthers our division rivals. With the new playoff set up, all of this can change, but I really do hope some of these rivalries continue. I feel they really add to the overall experience and welcome them! I feel it shows so much team pride when you and your teammates get a little more pumped before a game against a rival.

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

i haven't been called up to tampa yet so i dont feel any heat yet with rivals, aslo probably because they are not in their prime yet so there is nothign to get too heated about but that will change very soon in the next seasons cause we will be on the top. for this pt instead i will talk about winnipeg biggest rivarly since thats where i spent my career as my last player gary grease and i have to say that calgary has gotta be the biggest rivals. those bastards faced us off in the playoffs counteless times and it was always close. nothing but love for the users on calgary though thats a great group of people over there. I would also say for my stint in winnipeg wkp were big rivals as well, as we faced off against them in the shl finals 3? times if im remembering right, so that always got pretty heated too despite being in different conferneces.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

while the seattle argonauts have not had much time to make an impression, and still have yet to reach a playoff series as a franchise, the atlanta inferno are an obvious choice for their top rivals. when two expansion teams enter the league at the same time, it is impossible to weigh either team's success without considering the other. both atlanta and seattle will spend the early years of their franchise compared and contrasted with each other. being in different conferences means the two see each other in fewer games, but also sets the possibility for a cross conference cup final or even a semi final matchup due to the playoff reseeding. only time will tell if this heats up to a full bore hatred rivalry, but it is still a rivalry of inevitability. as seattle and atlanta grow stronger through prospects and free agency, they will meet in the playoffs and they will be weighed against each other.