Create Account

SHL Draftee Roundtable [2x Media Payout]

06-10-2021, 03:40 PMBy-Tor Wrote: @Accka

You were nominated for ROTY. What makes you a better choice than some of these skaters projected to go in round 1?

I'm handsome. When I wake up in the morning I walk up to the coffeemaker and pour out some coffee for myself that I made yesterday, microwave it and drink it black.
I also posted a sv% that is tied with the 5th best sv% in a season, that's got to mean something.

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

06-10-2021, 04:07 PMBy-Tor Wrote: @TubbyTim69

Maxwell King went undrafted in the S59 SMJHL draft. Why was that a mistake by junior GMs?

Most teams didn't think I had the size or brain to play at the next level and there were certainly times where I didn't think I did either. Newfoundland gave me an opportunity and I ran with it. I had an OK rookie season but I'm only getting better.

06-10-2021, 04:09 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote:
06-10-2021, 03:32 PMBy-Tor Wrote: @SecondSucks22

What makes you the best defenseman in the draft?
Well being taller than 5'6 really helps when you need to do literally anything of value other than shoot the puck.

@dmills3 if you werent getting autodrafted to hammy, where do you think you would have ended up?

I'm not really sure where I would've ended up, I'm not sure what other teams are fans of me, but if I had to guess maybe Seattle, Atlanta, or Toronto?

@Lorec how were you able to have such a good season at forward despite not being on a relatively weak forward core of Vancouver?

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

06-11-2021, 01:03 AMdmills3 Wrote:
06-10-2021, 04:09 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Well being taller than 5'6 really helps when you need to do literally anything of value other than shoot the puck.

@dmills3 if you werent getting autodrafted to hammy, where do you think you would have ended up?

I'm not really sure where I would've ended up, I'm not sure what other teams are fans of me, but if I had to guess maybe Seattle, Atlanta, or Toronto?

@Lorec how were you able to have such a good season at forward despite not being on a relatively weak forward core of Vancouver?
I think a lot of my success this season can be attributed to the amount of support I had on and off the ice. I was pretty consistently on a line with the faceoff god Makrus along with the passing/puckhandling king Sunfish, and between those two they usually always found me open. Vancouver does a good job bringing out their rookies strengths and I think they were able to do with that with all of us this season. 

@FiveForFighting You really took off in the playoffs this year and were a force to be reckoned with. What pushed you to be such a threat in playoffs?

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

06-11-2021, 06:38 AMLorec Wrote:
06-11-2021, 01:03 AMdmills3 Wrote: I'm not really sure where I would've ended up, I'm not sure what other teams are fans of me, but if I had to guess maybe Seattle, Atlanta, or Toronto?

I think a lot of my success this season can be attributed to the amount of support I had on and off the ice. I was pretty consistently on a line with the faceoff god Makrus along with the passing/puckhandling king Sunfish, and between those two they usually always found me open. Vancouver does a good job bringing out their rookies strengths and I think they were able to do with that with all of us this season. 

@FiveForFighting You really took off in the playoffs this year and were a force to be reckoned with. What pushed you to be such a threat in playoffs?
I had a lot of help during the season, some great coaching and mentoring from my teammates. Combined with my work ethic I simply found another gear. I didn't play that much, so I think I had the advantage of playing against some lower lines as well. So I think I was pretty well rested and could give my 120%, when other guys simply were drained and flat out couldn't keep up with my speed and playmaking.

@dmills3 what is your greatest strength as a defender?

[Image: ragnarsson_sig.png]
Destiny is All. Proud member of the Vancouver Whalers
Future SHL squad - Texas Renegades

@tweedledunn

How has the draft experience changed for you this time, compared to being an auto-drafted player with Bork?

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 08:13 PM by tweedledunn.)

06-11-2021, 10:42 AMGrapehead Wrote: @tweedledunn

How has the draft experience changed for you this time, compared to being an auto-drafted player with Bork?

sadly, I must admit I'm mostly disappointed

you'd assume lots of folks would give an arm and a leg (and say hi lol whazzup) for a proven 1600+ recreate a couple of times over but alas standing desk jokes

but I kid, lots of fine folks in our class and have enjoyed the ride so far

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 11:46 AM by tweedledunn.)

@Grapehead why would an unwise GM pass u up

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

06-10-2021, 03:35 PMBy-Tor Wrote: @Tonzy

Is there a real life player you are trying to model your player's game after?
Not really, I just want to be known as a tough guy out there on the ice who gets right in the middle of everything. I want goalies to hate having to come up against my line because they know I am going to be in their face all night causing all sorts of problems!

[Image: Oa8OpwNyDg-K2JwGMV_wCV9Yt4_2wZc5y5QPLUXn...authuser=0]

06-10-2021, 04:13 PMBy-Tor Wrote:
06-10-2021, 04:06 PMSimply Incorrect Wrote: @By-Tor
- How do you think you measure up to the other defenseman in this class? By all accounts, its not a deep defensive class, what makes you standpoint from your peers?

There are only 9 of us D who are relatively active - not a big group at all. Beck stands out in his defensive capabilities. He won't be flashy or put up the most points, but you neve have to worry when he's out on the ice. I'm modelling him after Jaccob Slavin, and he's one of the most underrated in the NHL - plays big minutes, takes no penalties, plays an integral role in every win. Beck was heavily relied on this year in St. Louis - 2nd in ATOI on the whole team, in fact. Those big minutes didn't help his stat line since he was playing against the league best, but some shining points really showed: despite playing against league best, Beck had the best defensive rating among Scarecrow defenders. So again I reiterate: he may not be flashy, but he gets the job done. Max earner too, which never hurts. 

@Matty7478

What makes Gojo the best forward in this draft?

Put simply, Gojō is a threat wherever he is on the ice, even at a young age. Not only has he got the faceoff and playmaking capabilities of a world-class center, he is willing and excited to do the dirty work in front of the net, with the strength to hold off challenging defenders and screen goalies efficiently and often. We didn’t get to see a lot of it during this past SMJHL season - and his lack of consistent production is where the detractors come draft-time will likely point to as a negative - but teams know that drafting forwards is more about projections over raw rookie numbers. And, if the clutch OT winners in multiple key games in the playoffs are going to say anything to teams, it will tell them that Gojō is a man who makes his time on the ice count - something we have seen more of during the WJC as well.

@Inf1d3l

If you were able to pick any of your rookie teammates to be drafted to the same team as you this draft, who would it be and why?

[Image: 1PU6YuX.png]
         [Image: JiycRrd.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 06:33 AM by Inf1d3l.)

06-11-2021, 06:53 PMMatty7478 Wrote: @Inf1d3l

If you were able to pick any of your rookie teammates to be drafted to the same team as you this draft, who would it be and why?

That's a tough one. I can honestly say I've really come to enjoy my time with all my fellow rookies in Anaheim, it's really a shame they all can't come to the same team with me. However, without avoiding the question completely, I would probably pick Daniel Merica @"Simply Incorrect" . He's a super fun dude in the Outlaws locker room and someone I really like to have some good chat and banter back and forth with when we can. Beyond that, I'd probably also hope Videl Valor @ValorX77 could be on the team as well, but then I'm probably just being greedy. I've enjoyed the way Valor has overcome his adversity since not being drafted last season and has become a big part of the Anaheim organization this season, with their overarching goal to be to make it to this draft an onto an SHL roster, and I love it!

@SecondSucks22

In your rookie season you went from being drafted to GM of the team. How does this affect your outlook on both your players future and your involvement in the league as a whole?

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM by Grapehead.)

06-11-2021, 11:38 AMtweedledunn Wrote: @Grapehead why would an unwise GM pass u up

[Image: giphy.gif]

An unwise GM might be overly concerned with me recreating so soon after my last player, but considering I would've had to play catch up at a position that was already overflowing I think I made the right choice. I ended up stuck without internet for a while due to moving. When I came back my goalie had gone undrafted due to inactivity, and I was behind in TPE, so I opted to hit the reset button.

An unwise GM might concerned with my rank among my class in TPE, but I can assure them that I'm back for the long haul here, and a bit of TPE missed won't be noticeable down the road.

An unwise GM also might not like the look of my abrupt resignation from my GM position, but I'd just like to tell them that I'm doing better in my personal life now, and I'm just focused on enjoying the aspects of the SHL that bring me happiness.

@goilers

What is something you are hoping to achieve with Cooper that you didn't achieve with Bennett?

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

@efiug what are your thoughts on seth jones?

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

@Inf1d3l Appreciate the kind words!

@CampinKiller
- it’s draft day what we drinking

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

06-12-2021, 12:30 PMSimply Incorrect Wrote: @CampinKiller
- it’s draft day what we drinking

Beer, always beer. I in fact drank quite a lot of beer last night and will be working during the draft, so I won't be able to drink beer for the draft, sad days.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]