Create Account

S67 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP

There are a few candidates for MVP this season, and it really depends on what the voters value more, as things stand.

if you like sheer, raw numbers, and a player that is head-and-shoulders above the competition in primary stats, Banana N'Waffles is your pick with 39 goals and 80 points in 53 games so far. Already at an insane pace, N'Waffles has an outside shot at cracking 100 points before season's end, which would be incredible.

Where arguments for other players would emerge is when you consider the definition of MVP. Does it mean most valuable in the league, or the team? If we are considering the latter definition, I would argue that consideration should be given to the Vancouver Whaler's Aleksandr Iksandrov.

Iksandrov is 10th in the league in points, despite being on a somewhat lagging Whalers squad, where the leads the entire team in scoring by 17 points. The other top 10 point scorers have lofty assistance from other teammates, either in the top 10 in scoring as well or just outside. Iksandrov is clearly the shining light on a more anemic offense, and the Whalers would currently be far lower than 10th place without them. If Vancouver makes it into the playoffs with the current scoring trends continuing for the rest of the season, Iksandrov will hopefully get a fair look for his role in getting the Whalers to the postseason.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

The clear choice for MVP is Bnana NWaffles, as he has a league leading 80 points. The second highest scorer for Detroit has 57 points, which is 23 below NWaffles. Sophie Bordeleau is second in points, with 73, and would also be a solid choice. She got off to an incredible start to the season, and has since slowed down her goal scoring a little, but is still having an elite season. However, her teammate Portgas D. Ace is close behind in points, which takes away from the MVP case. Another good choice is Emil Egli of the Maine Timber, who leads all defensemen in points, with 49. Egli is second on the Maine Timber in assists, which is impressive for a defenseman. Egli also has solid defensive metrics, which are often underrated in MVP conversations. The first line on Colorado has been elite, and each of Koivu, Nilsson, and Pedersen could be individually considered for MVP, but that is only realistic if one manages to separate themselves from the rest point-wise, as they are all very close right now.

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

With all due respect to the other candidates who could, or ordinarily would, be in the running for the Ideen Fallah Trophy for the SMJHL's Most Valuable Player, it is truly a one horse race this season. While there are incredible players around the league putting up great numbers and having great performances, you simply cannot look past Detroit Falcons forward Bnana NWaffles for the Fallah award this season.

The Falcons are a strong team, but not an unfairly stacked one - not one that you would look at and just know the league points leader would come from. They are where they are, near the top of the league, in large part because of the strong play of NWaffles. With 80 points in 53 games thus far, NWaffles is 23 points above the next highest contributor on his own team. This shows NWaffles is not simply the product of a good team, but rather the good team is in large part a product of NWaffles. Accordingly, he has to be the favourite, and at this point really the only serious candidate.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

The Ideen Fallah MVP Trophy is one of the most coveted trophies in all of sports, but it begs to ask two things: what does value mean, and how do we determine who has the most of it?

That's where we begin.

After googling the definition of the word value, it became clear to me that the value of a player is deeply tied to their monetary value. Oxford Languages describes value as "the material or monetary worth of something" and Merriam-Webster agrees, stating it is "the monetary worth of something" (aka market price). Now that we understand that the value of a player is determined by how much someone is willing to spend on the player, I can turn to the budgets of each of the SMJHL teams to determine which players are being paid the most and therefore are deemed to have the most value.

Leading the way in the MVP race (and thus the presumptive winner) is Detroit defenceman Nathan Meagher, who earns a whopping $6 Million. No other player in the SMJHL makes as much as Nathan, proving that he is in fact the most valuable player. If however it is deemed by the internal auditing agency at HO that there was an error, the next best option for the MVP of the SMJHL can only be Adrian O'Rugg, a forward from Colorado that earns a respectable $5 Million on his contract. This however is pure speculation and I anticipate Nathan Meagher will be hoisting the Ideen Fallah trophy at season's end.

[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] [Image: zmWhIQu.png]

I think the clear run-away MVP so far this season has to be Bnana NWaffles on Detroit. When looking for a MVP you need a player who is the driving force behind their team's success and it is clear that Bnana is that player for the Falcons. Bnana is 20 points over the second highest point total on Detroit. At 81 points he's on pace for a fantastic grand total and will continue to help drive the offense for the Falcons in the post-season. He is also helping control the play for the team with his face-off percentage of nearly 60 per cent so far. It's possible that he'll get higher than that by the end of the season! The only thing looking off for Bnana is having more giveaways than takeaways but I believe the positives out-weigh the negatives here. The others that I see being in the picture would be Mando Lorian in Maine and Tummy Hurts in Newfoundland for the vibes.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP is one of the most coveted individual awards given out yearly in the SMJHL. We all know that there are some clear frontrunners in the contest in Bnana Waffles and Sophie Bordeleau. But I know there are some degererates gamblers out there that aren't looking for the front runners. They are looking for the longshots the underdogs, someone where their little bets can turn them into a millionaire. This is what I am going to give you!. My first underdog pick is going to be a goaltender by the name of Caleb Hayden. Leading the league in wins and shutouts he has been outstanding for his team this year and a lock for if they decide to go with a goalie for the MVP. my next and final sleeper pick is going to be Alexander Minaj. A sensational rookie Defenseman for QCC. He has been a powerhouse on both ends of the ice. He is leading his team in goals and assists for a defensman. He has been a valuable asset the QCC will be relying on in the playoffs.

Foil Up Boys

An MVP award is always a great subject to spark fierce debate for who should and who should not be in consideration, and the SMJHL MVP is no exception to that. 

I however, know very little about the statistical things of hockey, so my input is not worth much weight as it might be the case in the realm of baseball, of which I know more than the average person.

Though, I do know one thing, and that one thing is team loyalty, and I will always stay true to my team and organization. With that being said, I truly do believe that the MVP recipient in the SMJHL should be Sophie Bordeleau, of my very own Quebec City Citadelles (hoot hoot). 

I know enough to be able to say confidently that she is atop many leaderboards and is potentially on the verge of a record breaking season, and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds in the end.

[Image: sobchak.png]

Bnana Nwaffles - Nwaffles has been absolutely dominating the SMJHL this season, so far recording 41 goals and 45 assists in only 59 games.  Bnana has 21 more points that the next player on the Falcons with a total of 86 and is also dominating in the advanced stats, leading the team with a CF% of 56.7.  Nwaffles right now is the easy choice for MVP.

Billy Blazes - With 32 goals and 45 assists, totaling 77 points in 57 games, Billy Blazes has been a force for Yukon this season.  Strong analytically, Blazes also holds a 12 point edge over their next teammate.

Alexander Minaj - A possible surprise choice, but the rookie defenseman has put up 48 points in 58 games, good for 3rd amonst defenseman.  However, what separates Minaj is strong play driving, putting up great CF% and FF% relative to teammates.  Minaj has been key to Quebec City's play this season.

Sophie Bordeleau - Bordealeau has been great, putting up 79 points in 58 games, including 39 goals.  However, Bordealeau has been relatively average at driving play even with the great point totals.

Aleksandr Iskandrov - Iskandrov has really stood out on a middle of the pack Whalers team, with 73 points in 57 games.  Putting up 31 goals and 42 assists, the forward holds a 19 point lead on the next highest player on the team.

Jackson Cannon - Not a serious contender, Cannon's stats in limited action are worth mentioning.  In only 22 games, Cannon has a GAA of 1.49, SV% of .943, and GSAA of 30.97 along with 5 shutouts.  Insane.

[Image: lutz-first-sig-shl.png]

I think the clear-cut leader when it comes to league MVP has to be Bnana NWaffles. With 41 goals (with 34 from 5v5) and 86 points so far this season, a 21.8% shooting percentage and all of that on a Detroit squad that looks poised to make a deep run into the playoffs, it's nearly indisputable.

BUT, there are still some other STRONG contenders:

Sophie Bordeleau is right on NWaffles tail with 39 goals and 79 points. With the Citadelles perched at the top of the league, Bordeleau could easily string together a few multi-points games to wrap up the season and make this conversation much harder.

Speaking of the Citadelles, their goal-tender Caleb Hayden shouldn't be overlooked. With 37 wins and 6 shutouts, Hayden is an integral part of the Citadelles success.

With those three players performances, I think it'll be tough for another player to make a case for themselves as league MVP this late in the season.

[Image: downer.gif]

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]

It is hard to find a better candidate than Bnana NWaffles in Detroit. I love Detroit as a young team able to score a lot of goals, but they would not have been able to push for the 5th place if NWaffles was not in their lineup. He is finishing the season strong, now far from Bordeleau leading the league in points (90), co-leading in goals (43) and leading in assists (47). 

On the ballot, I think Aleksandr Iskandrov (VAN), Billy Blazes (YUM) and Mando Lorian (MET) should also be nominated.  

Iskandrov (77 pts in 60 games, 3th in the league) managed to give the Whalers a chance to win the Wollker division this year. His team is 6th in Goals For and only 9th in Goals Against. Iskandrov is the main contributor of the success of Vancouver's offence this year, scoring 16% of all goals. He has 19 points more than any of his teammate. 

The second half of the season have been hard for the Yukon Malamutes, but Billy Blazes (77 pts in 61 games, also 3th in the league) managed to bring some offence to a team lacking in that department.  What does not help his candidacy as a MVP is how Kobliska (66 points in 61 games) and Percy (63 points in 61 games) managed to support Billy Blazes during his last season. Compared to Iskandrov, he is less of a one-man army, but the leader of a collective effort. His line managed to score 43% (!) of all Yukon's goals this year.

Mando Lorian is a personal favorite this season. He is co-leading the league with 43 goals, and leading with 8 game-winning goals. Maine offensive have been nothing short of phenomenal this year and Lorian is an excellent example of a leader able to score clutch goals in important games. He also won 55,4% of his faceoffs.

It's hard to argue with the consensus on Bnana NWaffles here: nearly 1.5 pts per game is a pace everyone is jealous of. After 40 pts and a -17 rating last season, everything has turned around for NWaffles, more than doubling their point total with games still to play and a +39 rating. Having two linemates around a point per game each is a huge benefit, but an individual award can only go to one player and NWaffles stands out of a crowded pack of great seasons in Detroit.

But every awards race needs a dark horse and some kind of question mark. For me, it's simply: have the two Regina goaltenders boxed each other out of consideration? Alexis Texas sits fifth in both save percentage and goals against average with a sturdy 23-14-5 record on a team with serious cup ambitions. Meanwhile, Jackson Cannon is first in both categories with a 0.941 SV% and a staggering 1.56 GAA! The 23 game sample size might be too small to draw solid conclusions from, however. The 1A/1B duo is a strong backing for the team, but makes it hard for either player to stand out individually. You have to wonder how either would look to the committee if they were a clear #1 in net.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

Funnily enough I can be a homer and pick 3 players from Maine who should all garner some MVP consideration.
First off currently leading the league in the sexy stat, goals, is Mando Lorian. Mando is having an absolutely standout season. Shelling goalies and giving more than a few with some lite PTSD.
Second up we have none other than league assists leader, Nibbles the Squirrel. It should be no surprise that this is the primary setup man (squirrel?) to Mando Lorian. The most goals needs to have someone who can dish and these two absolutely have that chemistry. Some people say he's Robin to Mando's Batman, but I think he's closer to being Rocky to Mando's Bullwinkle.
Finally, you want to sprinkle in a sympathy D vote to support your claim that you aren't biased, so let me present you the Assists and Points leader amongst D, Emil Egli!
Egli has had an absolutely fantastic performance. Standing out among his peers, and really proving to be a leader to the new crop of young defensive talent bolstering Maine's roster.
Code:
186 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

This year's MVP award is shaping up to be a good race both Bnana NWaffles and Sophie Bordeleau make compelling arguments from an offensive perspective. 
At the time of this writing Bnana NWaffles 44 Goals and 47 Assists for 91 points while also posting a Plus Minus of 40. 
Sophie Bordeleau is right behind with 43 Goals, 45 Assits, totaling 88 Points and a plus-minus of 16.

At this stage of the race, I give the current edge to Bnana NWaffles as their plus-minus is showing that he is not only a very good offensive player but has also been defensively responsible in their own end.

I would also like to give a nod to the goalies, and mine, in particular, B Jobin. While our team has been struggling this year B Jobin has done his best to keep us in the race. 31 Wins, 24 losses, while posting a Goals saved above average of 29.70 and a save percentage of 0.903 he has shown himself to be an option to be the best goalie this year and an option for MVP on the year.

[Image: fX8c49X.png]

Yeah I just don't think anyone is going to have a better case for this than Bnanna NWaffles. They are a Center for Detroit and they have 47 goals, 49 assists, and a +- of 39. I don't know what to tell you. They are just clearly the best player in the league. A goal in 2/3 games of the season and they aren't a defensive liability. Nearly the first 100 point season in the history of the SMJHL as well, it just feels like any other argument for anyone else must fail. Nobody else has ever done it like Bnanna NWaffles and they deserve recognition for that achievement. I could maybe see an argument that Sophie Boderleau is more deserving because she's been amazing on the best team in the league while Detroit is only 5th. But honestly I think it speaks to how impressive of a season NWaffles is having. I would argue NWaffles has less help than Borderleau so their achievement is even more impressive.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

With a bias towards Defense, I think the MVP should go to the following three players:
1. First off let's give a round of applause for Rasmus Bergling. Being on the last place team Newfoundland Berserkers, Rasmus has been able to not only lead the league in goals, but also a solid 26 assists to boot. He has an all-around offensive game, but also possesess a strong defensive side with 62 takeaways. I would pick Rasmus Bergling as my first choice for MVP.
2. My second choice would be my fellow Anchorage Armada teammate. Philippe Eko-Eel. Being on a middle of the pack team, a great leader in the locker room, and an overall outstanding person. Philippe has it all! Being fourth for goals out of defenseman and 9th for assists. He has the whole package.
3. I would give my third option to Emil Egli. He leads the league in defensive points and just out of the top 5 on his team for overall points. The guy has really got what it takes to take Main Timber to the next level. I am looking forward to seeing how he does in this year's playoffs!
1. Rasmus Bergling
2. Philippe Eko-Eel
3. Emil Egli