Create Account

S65 SMJHL Championship Week

3 TPE Task 5
The Regina Elk are a super charitable team who believes in giving back to the community. This week the whole team spent time helping gather, sort, pack, and give out food for the local food bank. In an unprecedented effort Elk players spent a time everyday during the week on each activity. The first day, several team members went out to several collection events as well as did meet and greets with some of the fans. On other days they spent their time with other volunteers sorting and packing the food into boxes that are given to food insecure people in the area. On the final day all the Elk showed up to give out food to the community as well as give away signed jerseys. This was a huge series of events and the food bank received a huge number of donations, more than they usually get in a whole year in a week. The Elk plan to make this a regular yearly event.

3 TPE Task 8
Ralph had a pretty average season all things considered. Ralph always had huge expectations for himself. This probably hijacked the beginning of his season. The pressure he put on himself, likely is what made him under preform. As he got more comfortable with the team and the playing in front of the crowds at the new venues, he started to come into his own, getting regular goals and assists. He also started to make an impact on defense with more than average hits and takeaways. While he would've love to do more offensively, he is glad that he was able to play for this great team. He also has a clear vision for what he needs to work on during the off season in order to keep up his contributions on his team and develop to hopefully get drafted and called up to an SHL team. Ralph is not ready to give up.

Code:
Task #10 - 3 TPE
We've got a few really exciting things going on at the Regina Elk for next season. Our season ended a much earlier than we thought with a heartbreaking loss in a game 7 during the first round. 1st is we have two real goalies now! Last season we had a some guy our gm met at a beer league game named McLavish. Midway through we signed a new back up and they are super promising. Second we have some serious talent improving on the last season. Ralph Ryan is well on his way to becoming a solid two way center. David-Arturri Donskoi who was an all star forward and leading scorer for the Elk in S65 will only get better as well. Also exciting will be the new rookies we will add at the draft. With all these great things coming in the future, I'm certain we'll get a deeper playoff run next season!

Task #11 - 3 TPE
Ralph Ryan will take some time this offseason to just chill. His uptight nature has been causing some difficulties and has made working with his teammates a little difficult. He is planning to join a number of team members on an Alaskan fishing trip. Nothing but nature and relaxing for a whole week. After that it's back to work. His rookie season was promising but he understands now that the game is different at this level. He needs to be faster, more precise, and better conditioned. More skills practice will help him make a bigger impact on offense this year. Finally before the preseason and training camp starts up again, he plans to go home and spend some time with his parents and family. It's important to remember how he got here and where he came from. After all this Ralph Ryan will be totally ready for a new start to a new season.
Task #13 - 1
A. I declare the coolest name on either team is definitively Rand Al'Thor. Because it's creative and cool and Thor. It's split in an unexpected way yet still conveys the intended joke. What a player, what a name. There is no contest pretty much all the other names are super normal and boring. 

+3 TPE SMJHL Milestones

16/16

[Image: BtI4G9Q.png]

Code:
Task #3 - 2 TPE
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, etc.)
Requirements:
- WRITTEN: Write a 100 word blurb about the item, including details on during which game was / will be given out.
- GRAPHIC:  Include a picture of the item and at least one SMJHL logo; must look like you at least kinda tried.

St. Louis loves their Scarecrows and the Scarecrows love their city of St. Louis.  At any chance they get, they want to give back any way they can.  This offseason the Crows decided to let their players decide of the give aways for their promotional nights.  Bavel Pure was given the task of designing their bobblehead for their bobblehead give away.  Bavel could have gone with the traditional route of choosing his own image to use for the bobblehead but he wanted to go a bit differently, so he decide to design a bobblehead of Hayes, the St. Louis Scarecrows mascot. So make sure to get to the bobblehead night early to make sure you get your hands on the Hayes bobblehead.  Go Crows Go!!!

Code:
Task #10 - 3 TPE
So your team got eliminated these playoffs, and have to look forward to next season where hopefully things go differently. What does your team have to be excited about for next season, where they'll have another go at the coveted 4-star cup?
Requirements: 150+ words.

The playoffs ended for Bavel Pure in the second round.  Their loss to the Quebec City Citadelles sent the Scarecrows home from the SMJHL playoffs.  But this is just the start for these young Crows.  These playoffs saw the Scarecrows win a playoff series for the first time in a while.  These young players are keen to come back next season with a taste of what winning in the SMJHL playoffs feel like.  They are now hungrier than every and having seen what it takes to go all the way.  With some serious off season training and commitment to the team, the up and coming St. Louis Scarecrows will look to make their mark on the league.  Pavel Bure himself vows to build on his decent rookie season, hoping to eclipse the 20 goal mark this go round on route to helping his team manage their way though S66 and back into the playoffs.  So stay tuned to see what these Crows can do and keep an ear out for those scarecrow noises...

Code:
Task #11 - 3 TPE
It's almost officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make it past the first round of the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. In 150+ words, tell us how you're spending your time this offseason.

This offseason is usually a time for rest for all of the SMJHL and SHL players.  But Bavel Pure won't be doing too much resting.  He is going to be hitting the gym and the rink all of season long.  His trainer / mentor is newly retired SHL defensemen, Lyle Odelein III.  His worth ethic is pretty darn demanding, his workout regiment is pretty intense, and looking back at the SHL players career, no one can doubt that what he did or is doing, works.  Bavel has learned many things already from Lyle already and can't wait to spend the off season with him.  Bavel has a goal for his career, to become one of the top goal scorers in the SHL and practicing with one of the all time shot blockers is something they both feel will help accomplish this goal.  Bavel knows he has to put the work in if he wants to achieve this, and is willing to do everything it takes to get there.  And with the help of Lyle Odelein III, he just might be able to pull this off.

Code:
Task #12 - 3 TPE
Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a journalist covering the prospects of the S66 SHL draft class. What do possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it comes to potentially drafting your player?

After a solid rookie campaign for the St. Louis Scarecrows, Bavel Pure heads into the SMJHL draft with a question mark on his potential SHL team.  He has talked to a few GMs as far as we know, but nothing too serious so far.  Bavel comes with a little bit of complication though.  As he has told every GM he has spoken with, he would like to, at one point in his career, explore free agency.  It is something that he would like to do quite a bit, feel the rush of being able to decide his own destiny, which team he feels will fit best for his career.  He will however, give everything he has to whatever team he is on.  Whatever team that is, they will have a player who wants to score goals.  He considers himself a pure goal scorer and loves when his team finds the back of the net, he likes to score those goals himself, but is just as happy when one of his teammates finds the back of the twine. 

Code:
Task #14 - Latecomer Special - 2-3 TPE
So I see you waited until the end of the finals to complete your tasks! Well congrats to [TEAM] on winning the Four-Star! Reflecting back on the series, what were the keys to [TEAM] taking the finals? Name 3 key points that resulted in the series playing out the way it did.
Requirements:
WRITTEN: 100+ words for 2 TPE, 150+ for 3 TPE.
GRAPHIC: Includes a player render and a table with the 3 keys to the series results.

The Detroit Falcons had a dominate season in the SMJHL.  They had been the top contenders and favourties for the whole season.  They were the team to beat and everyone knew it.  Going into the playoffs, every team was wary about going up against the Falcons and during the playoffs, they showed every one why they were the best.  Their offense was top notch, with Ivan Lacksamus and Eddie Creller leading the way during the regular season and during the playoffs, Bubba Tree joined the duo with the trio taking 3 of the top 5 point getters in the league.  Their only actual challenge in the playoffs came in the finals when the went to distance against Newfoundland, but they were the team that came out on top, taking home the Four Star Cup, like most people thought they would do.  It hurts a St. Louis Scarecrow to say this, but I commend the Falcons for taking it all the way.  But watch out for the Crows next season, they want to be on top again and are on the way to getting there.

Code:
Task #16 - Milestones - Up to 3 TPE
Like with the SHL, you will have the opportunity to cover up to 3/16 TPE with milestones relating to your player's performance/accolades during the season. Link your post in the Milestones thread and post your comment in your CW reply to claim.

3 milestones claimed

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2022, 06:39 PM by StaticShocked. Edited 2 times in total.)

Task #6 (308 words) (3 TPE)
Left Wing: Ivan Lacksamus, Detroit - The SHL regular season's goals and points leader is a clear favorite to join the all-finals team. 46 goals, 94 points, 15.9% shooting percentage. Do the offensive numbers need to prove themselves any more than they already do?

Center: Mrs. McSaves, Detroit - Another forward that really knows how to rip it, McSaves potted 33 goals and reached 43 assists, both career highs. Another huge part of her game is her physicality. Never afraid to step up and hit another player or lay down the body to block a shot, McSaves blocked nearly 100 shots and registered 103 hits during the regular season.

Right Wing: Matsmith Soderberg-Tremblay, Newfoundland - Soderberg-Tremblay posted an impressive 14.5% shooting percentage during the regular season, posting 30 goals for the first time in his career. Along with shooting the puck, the Newfoundland left winger also distributes the puck with ease, posting nearly 40 assists.

Defense: Rand al'Thor, Newfoundland - Newfoundland's leading regular season scorer became a mobile, puck-moving, dishing defenseman and overall machine. With 57 assists during the regular season, al'Thor certainly has a third eye for knowing where his teammates are. He pairs this offensive prowess with super high offensive and defensive ratings during the regular season.

Defense: Luca Hunziker, Newfoundland - Newfoundland's top pair finds itself on the all-finals team due to their impressive chemistry with one another. Hunziker, while not scoring as much as their defense partner, is never afraid to step up and fight for their teammates. Big, strong, physical -- everything you would want on a top pair.

Goalie: Evert Jansson, Detroit - Arguably the SMJHL's most dominant regular season goaltender, Jansson lost only three games during the regular season and posted a sub-2.00 GAA to pair with a .915 save percentage. You'd be hard pressed to find a goalie that was more dominant during any stretch of time.

Task #8 (153 words) (3 TPE)
Overall, I would say I performed pretty well in my rookie season. I'm incredibly grateful that I was able to join a team that was as young as my player was and gave me the ability to step into a high-leverage role this early in my career. I finished my rookie season with 17 goals and 20 assists, more points than I was expecting. I felt like I meshed with some of my teammates really well and was able to form a bond with some of them on the ice pretty quickly. I'm incredibly excited to get back onto the ice next season and prove to myself that my rookie season wasn't just a flash in the pan. With more experience under my belt, improving teammates, and an organization that trusts my ability to slot into the top 6, I feel like my SMJHL career is just getting started on its initial promise.

Task #11 (163 words) (3 TPE)
Although Vancouver didn't make it far in the SMJHL playoffs, it was almost to be expected from a rebuilding club. This offseason, Gallen will be spending his time preparing for the SHL draft. Hoping to be drafted in the first round, he will mostly spend time rounding out his offensive instincts in order to prove to SHL scouts that his goal-scoring ability won't be the biggest flaw of his game. Other than training, Gallen will be staying in Vancouver to hang out with friends, teammates, and family. Even though he was completely new to the area, Pyotr seems to have found a nice home and consistent group of friends he hangs out with on Whalers off days. "The best way to keep yourself prepared for anything and consistently ready," he says, " is to be around people that you enjoy being around. That way, you're always motivated because you think of the good times that come once you're over the hard moments in life."

Task #12 (186 words) (3 TPE)
SCOUTING REPORT
Pyotr Gallen, RW, Vancouver

Strengths: Incredible offensive talent. Gallen possesses the ability to score from practically anywhere on the ice. A gifted offensive mind, he is also able to maneuver the ice and through defenders with a silky smooth skating ability. Regarding his offense, his wrist shot is much more developed than his slap shot. Although the slap shot is not an overall weakness of his game, the wrist shot is much more lethal and is where most of Gallen's goals come from. He is also able to create plays seemingly out of nothing with some sneaky playmaking mechanics.

Weaknesses: Power play and general defense. On the power play, Gallen attempts to do too much to try and be the guy that scores or assists primarily. If he is to truly round out all of his offense, he should learn to trust in his teammates and try to distribute the puck more. Defense could also use some work. Although it is not a huge flaw, he finds himself getting caught out in open ice sometimes, leading to dangerous chances against for the other team.

Task #16 - Milestones (3 TPE)

Total TPE Earned: 15

[Image: leblaVa.gif]
Shoutout to @adamantium for the sig! <3

Task #11 - 3 TPE
It's almost officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make it past the first round of the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. In 150+ words, tell us how you're spending your time this offseason.

Obviously, a lot of the time will be spent preparing for and going through draft interviews to get scouted and see who is interested in picking me. Your draft interview can do a lot to raise or lower your value so that’s something to prepare for. Getting offseason warm ups is always important, staying in shape and attending practices. It's Boom Stick’s first ever offseason so he really has to put in the work to make sure he is ready physically and mentally for the start of next season. These workouts also double as draft interviews for a lot of teams, so it’s a win-win to prepare for the season AND get raise draft stock. Going on offseason bonding meetings with the rest of the Juniors team is great, too, as a team building exercise, so visiting locations or overnight trips or vacations are all great ideas to build chemistry with the team during offseason weekends. So those are the types of activities Boomstick is gonna be looking to do this year.

Task #5 - 3 TPE
Professional hockey players are among the luckiest members of a community, but not everyone is given the same opportunities. As such, many players are expected to give back to the community by volunteering their time and energy off the ice with various charitable organizations. Either write about a charity or event that your player helped out with, or create a flyer or invitation for your event, including team logo, a photo of your player render, and the charity/charities being supported by the event.
Requirements:
WRITTEN: 150+ words
GRAPHIC: Include team logo, a photo of your player render, and the charity/charities being supported by the event

Boom Stick isn’t a super charitable guy, so usually his agent needs to coerce him into donating. But on the occasional changes that he’s forced into working with them or donating money, he usually likes to appear or spend time with alcoholism or drunk-driving related charities. There isn’t a very deep backstory here, he was just surrounded a lot by alcohol when he was younger and wants people to avoid it in an excessive or negative way. So supporting organizations like Alcoholic Anonymous or other groups of that nature fits the bill. Also pretty big into political lobbies for activist groups, so like anti-gun groups or abortion rights protesters are areas that he doesn’t mind putting some well-publizied donations in. He’s a pretty left-leaning guy. Stick went to a child’s hunger alliance once and had a great time there, so he’ll probably plan to do that again as well! Feeding the kids is a great task Smile

Task #8 - 3 TPE
You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season?

Boom Stick’s first season was really short, which is what happens when you join so late, but I felt that I did a pretty good job and played roughly to expectations considering how disadvantageous the circumstances were. I averaged like 1 point per 2 games which isn’t bad for such a small sample size and all my advanced stats were…ok. I will say, though, obviously I’m looking to perform at a much higher rate for the rest of my career, but it’s the rookie year, I joined late, I was terrible in total TPE, so there’s nothing to be ashamed for without having an MVP your first year, obviously. The main goal would be to be top 5 in my team in points next year, because I have the skill set to do it especially after this *huge* TPE gain I’ll be seeing this offseason, and I’d like to kind of push the “best player on my team” talk at the end of the season, especially considering the pseudo rebuild we are entering.

Task #10 - 3 TPE
So your team got eliminated these playoffs, and have to look forward to next season where hopefully things go differently. What does your team have to be excited about for next season, where they'll have another go at the coveted 4-star cup?

We have a few good players entering this year, especially me and Engyn as goalie, which is great, but next year is probably going to be a down year. Obviously there’s gonna be a lot of excitement about our rookies continuing to earn and become productive players, but next year is just a measuring stick for how big the season after that will be. So our main reason to be optimistic is to see if that year’s rookies and sophomores can take a big leap and be ready to contend in a serious way the season after that. Us reaching a championship or even winning it would be pretty incredible luck, and a lot of great drafting - and while Jess is an absolutely fantastic GM and a great person, I just can’t see us making a serious run at the title next season. If we did, though, that would be absolutely awesome and would make me very happy Smile

Task #3 - 2 TPE
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, etc.)
Requirements:
- WRITTEN: Write a 100 word blurb about the item, including details on during which game was / will be given out.
- GRAPHIC:  Include a picture of the item and at least one SMJHL logo; must look like you at least kinda tried.

So the big problem here is that Boom Stick’s first choice, a literal shotgun with his face on it, would not be allowed in a stadium and probably very rarely in other places as well - even as a fake, it would still raise panic, so Boom Stick probably isn’t in a good setting there. He’d love a minifigure of his stick with a fire behind it, so that could be a cute option he looks at creating and handing out. Little tiny ram plushies would also be VERY cute and I think Boom Stick would like that a lot. So plushie rams it is Smile

Task #13 - 1-3 TPE
Answer up to 3 of these prompts, each one being worth 1 TPE for 50+ words each.
A. Which player from either team has the best name in this series (just the name itself, nothing to do with the player themselves).
B.  You're in another timeline where Nevada and Quebec are the two cup finalists. What went right for them in this timeline's playoffs compared to ours where they lost in the semi finals?
C. We've been talking about the playoffs, but it's performance throughout the season that helped get our finalists into the playoffs. Who was the key player to success for either team (or both) during the regular season and why?

1. I always appreciated how SD Core’s name on everything is just “SD Core”, so that simplicity definitely deserves a shoutout in the name rankings of the teams. Mrs. McSaves is definitely the funniest and creative of the names between the two teams, though. Would’ve been funnier on a goalie, I think, but still good.
  2.  Man, the Nevada lost was tough. I think if I had joined a little earlier and maybe we get an extra 20-30 TPE in before the playoffs, we’re in a great circumstance to win the series, but honestly Nevada came pretty close either way and it’s hard to say anything without disrespecting Newfoundland who 100% deserved the win and played their hearts out Smile

Task #8 - 3 TPE
You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season?

For me, I feel that my first SMJHL season was mediocre. Only putting up 22 points and not making a big impact was difficult to swallow, but I will be back next season to help the Scarecrows hopefully capture a Four Star Cup. I wasn’t happy with my performance, but I understand that I have to play the role that I’m given, not the role that I necessarily want to play. If the team trusts me to play defense, then I’ll play defense to the best of my ability. If they want me to quarterback the power play, then I’ll quarterback the power play.

For next season, I need to improve in a lot of areas – the most being reliable. I felt like I was inconsistent this season and I felt like perhaps the coaching staff didn’t necessarily trust me out there with the game on the line in the regular season. Playing on the third pairing, there is not a lot of room for error – if I mess up, I ride the bench. It’s a hard league to play in but these are the growing pains that we have to deal with in order to improve.

Task #11 - 3 TPE

Jonathan Mercer is spending his offseason training. There is no rest for the wicked, and there is also no rest for players in the SHL or SMJHL that want to become elite and win championships. Mercer qualifies under the latter, and even though he knows that he will likely go late in the SHL Draft, he has a big opportunity and a big chance to make a lasting impact on whatever franchise drafts him.

Mercer could spend the offseason out partying, but because his Scarecrows lost out early in the playoffs, he has to come back stronger next season so that he can make a bigger impact and perhaps be the piece that brings the Scarecrows over that hump of not being able to win in the playoffs. Will it happen? If it’s up to Mercer himself, that answer is a resounding yes. We’ll see what next season brings, but Mercer plans to be a big piece of the Scarecrows going forward.

Task #10 - 3 TPE

The St. Louis Scarecrows have to look forward to the growth of their rookie class, including defenseman Jonathan Mercer. With a few familiar faces leaving the team and moving on to the SHL, the Scarecrows will be in a prime position to let younger faces take the reigns and help move the team into a spot where they can compete with the Detroit Falcons and the Newfoundland Berserkers and see the light of the SMJHL Finals.

Will the Scarecrows be an immediate threat to win the Four Star Cup? Doubtful. But through the season and while players grow throughout the season, they have a chance to make a big impact in the playoffs and perhaps be a dark horse to make it all of the way to the Finals, and eventually winning the cup. Jonathan Mercer was a later round pick of the Scarecrows, but he could play a big piece in helping the Scarecrows achieve some championship hardware.

Task #12 - 3 TPE
Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a journalist covering the prospects of the S66 SHL draft class. What do possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it comes to potentially drafting your player?

Jonathan Mercer is growing to be a great asset to have on your blue line for any SHL team looking to acquire one at the draft. He is coming from a player agency which has been known to create “busts”, but this time, this player might be a hit.

Mercer isn’t very physical, but is poised with the puck and is working on his two way game to potentially be the powerplay quarterback that every SHL team salivates on, being able to score from the blue line as well as dish to his teammates to create scoring opportunities. The pure level of skill on Mercer is great to see, although many prospects in this draft are extremely skilled, Mercer could turn into being a diamond in the rough pick for any team that decides to draft him. With his 22 points in his rookie season, it could grow into many, many more points for the young Canadian defenseman.

Task #13 - 1 TPE
Answer up to 3 of these prompts, each one being worth 1 TPE for 50+ words each.
A. Which player from either team has the best name in this series (just the name itself, nothing to do with the player themselves).

For me, Rand al’Thor is a great name because I read the Wheel of Time and was a big fan of the series. It doesn’t hurt that the also tied for leading the playoffs with assists at 16 and was 4th in points with 21 points throughout the SMJHL Playoffs.

Task #16 - 3 TPE
Like with the SHL, you will have the opportunity to cover up to 3/16 TPE with milestones relating to your player's performance/accolades during the season. Link your post in the Milestones thread and post your comment in your CW reply to claim.

+3

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]