Create Account

Raise salary cap pls

Quote:Originally posted by JumpierPegasus@Jan 21 2018, 09:51 AM

That's why I suggest a rookie allowance or a lower cost for their training to offset their new max contract
I like that idea ya, but not sure how many people would agree with a big change in history like that. It makes sense though and not complicated at all.

Doubt is a dream killer

Oh god we're heading for a lockout

Quote:Originally posted by Joester09@Jan 21 2018, 12:07 PM
Oh god we're heading for a lockout

Man, can you imagine the Thunderdomes in a lockout? *licks lips*

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Allegiant@Jan 21 2018, 01:00 AM

tbh those were some good ideas

who did you steal them from
Probably Tylar he has the best ideas

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JumpierPegasus@Jan 21 2018, 01:17 PM

Probably Tylar he has the best ideas
True.

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

Quote:Originally posted by Phobospwns@Jan 21 2018, 09:02 AM

It's unlikely to change, but I think it's a good discussion, because it relates to the direction of the league as a whole. Media will likely remain a staple, so therefore contracts likely will continue to have little importance, so most players will take the minimum across the board. In that case, the current cap is probably fine. Plus it's always easier to not change something.

Ideally, endorsements would take off, and the economy would be controlled such that contracts do matter, which will make the cap matter. Thoughts, <a href='index.php?showuser=2651' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>gfridge</a>?
I'd love for endorsements to take off, but it sounds like we need to figure out where we want the league economy first.

I'm a little confused on the issue here -- it seems like the OP was mainly saying that if everyone's taking league minimum on contracts, then there's something askew in the numerical/economical balance of the league.

I think that's a fair criticism. The issue is that as far as our league economy goes, there's a big imbalance in how money comes in and goes out. When you look at money sinks, there's a pretty finite number of how much money you'll need per season: $1M/week for training, $8M for equipment, ~$1-2M for redistribution usually (more with regression maybe). Altogether, that's about $12M/season required in the SHL.

Meanwhile, there's basically infinite money available for you to make. Even if you take league minimum, you're looking at $4-6M iirc in income, which takes care of 1/3 to 1/2 of your annual needs. Then there's obviously media, Twitter, league jobs, and more...and that's assuming you're looking to cover 100% of your possible training/equipment TPE, which many don't.

So I guess I agree on the problem, but I don't really agree that raising the cap is the solution. If we want salaries to matter, we'd probably need to put a cap on non-salary income. That would discourage/limit media creation though, which I don't think is really in our best interests. So I think we're picking our poison here. If we want contracts to mean something, money has to be more scarce. Endorsements is kind of the opposite problem, it would make more money available in the system, and while adding more/better media would encourage more people to take less money.

The only argument I can see for raising the cap (and/or salaries in general) is to assist the people who are less prolific media posters. I'm not sure we want to encourage that...I think at its core we like the idea that a team who bags a media mogul will likely be able to pay them a bit less. Those users are more active and will more reliably earn more TPE. It makes media moguls more valuable in the league, which is a good thing.

didn't read the thread (i mean, who does?) but just wanted to say the cap is fine as it is. We made minimum contracts more challenging for GM's to keep good players. Only changed I'd like is abolish the 4m min tier, and just go straight to the 5m tier once you hit 1000 teps

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

To remark on the contracts, if you want to do the most expensive equipment and you do the highest training, it’s about 18.5 mil over an average season and that’s not even considering the redistribution for the rookies. If rookie contracts are 1 mil to 3.5 mil as is, you still need to grind out about 8 to 17 mil. Granted that there are less expensive equipment that won’t cripple a bank account like this, it’s still expected to get that early TPE in.

We do have the job openings to allow people to make that money and the media revamp has allowed making money to be easier. But Jfc, sometimes I look at these numbers and cringe.

[Image: galatix2.gif]
by @NUCK @QuantumCowboy @engimatic @GLU @FlappyGiraffe @karey

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] l [Image: HuqtOb2.png]

Quote:Originally posted by galatix@Jan 22 2018, 10:48 AM
To remark on the contracts, if you want to do the most expensive equipment and you do the highest training, it’s about 18.5 mil over an average season and that’s not even considering the redistribution for the rookies. If rookie contracts are 1 mil to 3.5 mil as is, you still need to grind out about 8 to 17 mil. Granted that there are less expensive equipment that won’t cripple a bank account like this, it’s still expected to get that early TPE in.

We do have the job openings to allow people to make that money and the media revamp has allowed making money to be easier. But Jfc, sometimes I look at these numbers and cringe.
Looks like my numbers were off at 12M...

18.5M - 8.5M for equipment = 10M in training. 10 WCW's @ 1M/each means ~10 week seasons? Or am I missing something?

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Jan 22 2018, 11:15 AM

18.5M - 8.5M for equipment = 10M in training.&nbsp; 10 WCW's @ 1M/each means ~10 week seasons?&nbsp; Or am I missing something?
Tbh these numbers include playoffs and are a couple of months old when the off-season was long. But you can swap out some of the mil for redistribution of equipment TPE

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Jan 22 2018, 11:15 AM

18.5M - 8.5M for equipment = 10M in training.&nbsp; 10 WCW's @ 1M/each means ~10 week seasons?&nbsp; Or am I missing something?

I'd say closer 8 or 9 weeks, since our off-season length has reduced/gotten more consistemt, but yeah. 4 week regular season, 2-3 week playoff, offseason.

Nikolai Evans

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans@Jan 22 2018, 11:26 AM

I'd say closer 8 or 9 weeks, since our off-season length has reduced/gotten more consistemt, but yeah. 4 week regular season, 2-3 week playoff, offseason.
i'd say 7-8 weeks... the time between the s39 draft and s38 draft was a good 7 weeks and 3 days

Quote:Originally posted by Samee@Jan 22 2018, 11:29 AM

i'd say 7-8 weeks... the time between the s39 draft and s38 draft was a good 7 weeks and 3 days

There you go. Granted, I think last draft was a couple days later because of the holidays, but 7-8 weeks sounds about right on average.

Also on a self-absorbed level, which I rarely indulge, I'm loving that this conversation is happening at the same time people are asking how Winnipeg can add free agents. If you think any team in the league is getting too stacked, you DON'T want to expand the cap and effectively negate the minimum salary tiers.

Nikolai Evans

Quote:Originally posted by Samee@Jan 22 2018, 11:29 AM

It’s gotten better! But it’s also still hurts the wallet

Ya and they should totally pay that guy who made the stats thing I hear not even his team will pay him. Imagine how that guy has to make a living

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]