Create Account

Petition to move Fantasy Drafts to Discord

As someone who feels guilty for always holding up their fantasy groups, I like this idea

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

Nobody tell them the PBE has a 10 hour pick time limit.

10-26-2021, 02:13 AMNamelessNate Wrote: Nobody tell them the PBE has a 10 hour pick time limit.
And they never run into problems or do they all live in the same time zone over there and work/sleep at the same time?

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021, 04:21 AM by NamelessNate.)

10-26-2021, 03:06 AMCarpy48 Wrote:
10-26-2021, 02:13 AMNamelessNate Wrote: Nobody tell them the PBE has a 10 hour pick time limit.
And they never run into problems or do they all live in the same time zone over there and work/sleep at the same time?
Im pretty sure most of PBE is American so that helps. I wouldn’t know honestly if many people run into problems, I’ve done discord drafts in a pre-made group so they were lenient with the 10 hour limit anyway. This is also by no means an endorsement, I think 10 hours is too short. Things also just happen quicker in the PBE. The season is shorter, the off-season is shorter, so I think the 10 hour limit maybe helps promote quicker drafts? I remember from when PBE had 24 hour limits there was once a group that hadn’t finished until the all-star break which occurs halfway through the season (beginning of week 3).

I'm not really a fan of moving more and more things away from the forum, but it's a decent suggestion that I don't see a lot of problems with as long as we don't do anything crazy like shortening time limits or custom groups.

What bothers me a bit more are the inconsistent performances from fantasy managers. At least from the outside it seems like one of the easier jobs on the site yet they often struggle to keep groups updated which contributes to a lot of them going slowly. We expect the fantasy participants to make their picks in under 18 hours (and often get annoyed if they use that full timeframe), yet somehow it is still acceptable for the OP in a group to not be updated for days or for the groups to figure out skips or wrong picks themselves because the group head doesn't chime in.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

10-26-2021, 04:21 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: What bothers me a bit more are the inconsistent performances from fantasy managers. At least from the outside it seems like one of the easier jobs on the site yet they often struggle to keep groups updated which contributes to a lot of them going slowly. We expect the fantasy participants to make their picks in under 18 hours (and often get annoyed if they use that full timeframe), yet somehow it is still acceptable for the OP in a group to not be updated for days or for the groups to figure out skips or wrong picks themselves because the group head doesn't chime in.

This exactly is my biggest problem with fantasy.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

10-26-2021, 04:18 AMNamelessNate Wrote:
10-26-2021, 03:06 AMCarpy48 Wrote: And they never run into problems or do they all live in the same time zone over there and work/sleep at the same time?
Im pretty sure most of PBE is American so that helps. I wouldn’t know honestly if many people run into problems, I’ve done discord drafts in a pre-made group so they were lenient with the 10 hour limit anyway. This is also by no means an endorsement, I think 10 hours is too short. Things also just happen quicker in the PBE. The season is shorter, the off-season is shorter, so I think the 10 hour limit maybe helps promote quicker drafts? I remember from when PBE had 24 hour limits there was once a group that hadn’t finished until the all-star break which occurs halfway through the season (beginning of week 3).

I've done a discord draft every season since my first one and no one really worries much about the time limit as long as we keep up a good pace towards getting everything in by the time the season is due.  However fantasy in PBE is for money and not TPE so people aren't quite as competitive as I'm sure they will be here.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

From my experience previously running the shop, it would certainly be doable to operate the drafts on discord; the actual group generation work would require incorporation of IDs, but otherwise you'd just have a fixed list of group channels and wipe them each season as necessary. Incorporating a bot, however, means you're inevitably superceding everything; not just individual threads, but group managers, and eventually the fantasy sheet as well. I don't have an objection to that, because the sheet was always intended to be replaced by something better one day- but someone will have a hell of a lot of work to do to set that up.

However, you can absolutely forget about reducing the hour count down from 18, and splitting the pool of draftees into segmented groups will always just foist more problems onto the people who don't opt into the shiny new thing. If things move to discord, it'll have to be all or nothing.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

brickwall for commish

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Personally, I don't really see the point. If you can go on discord to make a pick surely you can go on the site to make a pick. I do agree that pings on discord would be more helpful, and as Nhamlet suggested we should get everyone to join the general SHL discord to make this possible.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

10-26-2021, 11:01 AMLordBirdman Wrote: Personally, I don't really see the point.  If you can go on discord to make a pick surely you can go on the site to make a pick.  I do agree that pings on discord would be more helpful, and as Nhamlet suggested we should get everyone to join the general SHL discord to make this possible.

Getting a discord notification on my phone is a *lot* better when i'm busy at work or something than having to go check the site and see if I have a message. And half the time i don't even get the message, or the notification that they tagged me.

It's incredibly superior, not everyone can jump on the site "quick" at times, and it doesn't always go well on mobile.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

10-26-2021, 12:52 PMJKortesi81 Wrote:
10-26-2021, 11:01 AMLordBirdman Wrote: Personally, I don't really see the point.  If you can go on discord to make a pick surely you can go on the site to make a pick.  I do agree that pings on discord would be more helpful, and as Nhamlet suggested we should get everyone to join the general SHL discord to make this possible.

Getting a discord notification on my phone is a *lot* better when i'm busy at work or something than having to go check the site and see if I have a message. And half the time i don't even get the message, or the notification that they tagged me.

It's incredibly superior, not everyone can jump on the site "quick" at times, and it doesn't always go well on mobile.

I wouldn't call it flat out superior. You can get email notifications when you are pmd on site (or tagged), and those notifications can go straight to your phone as a consequence.

I'm not denying that discord is easier or better for you, but it's not strictly better for everyone. Not everyone has discord on their work PC or phone either in the same way not everyone can log on to site at work

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Sometimes I fantasize about getting all eight people in a group together in discord and hammering a draft out in one hour.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

10-26-2021, 01:32 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
10-26-2021, 12:52 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: Getting a discord notification on my phone is a *lot* better when i'm busy at work or something than having to go check the site and see if I have a message. And half the time i don't even get the message, or the notification that they tagged me.

I wouldn't call it flat out superior. You can get email notifications when you are pmd on site (or tagged), and those notifications can go straight to your phone as a consequence.

I'm not denying that discord is easier or better for you, but it's not strictly better for everyone. Not everyone has discord on their work PC or phone either in the same way not everyone can log on to site at work

Yeah, but if you say "superior" more people lean towards your way of thinking. Duh. Wink

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Fuck the forums

Forums suck

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]