Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Playoffs

Both of the series in the West are rematches from last year. What will have to change from the Jets and/or the Riot to prevent history from repeating itself this season? Which of these two teams, if either, has what it takes to pull off the series win, and why?

I think Winnipeg will avoid a repeat performance from last season. They replaced their weakest forward with VLAD McZehrl and their defence just got better through development. I thought they should of won last season, but Texas rode a crazy wave all the way through. I just don't think Texas can keep up with the Jets forwards this time around.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

I actually think without New England's wacky juju in their way, the Platoon will have their championship shot this year. Lots of relatively solid line work, just a matter of having the sim swing their way. I think the Jets are also going to finally make it out of the Western conference finals this year too. They were a solid team last year, and they've retooled their forward lines within a inch of their lives this season -- Berger is also still, somehow, backstopping above par. Texas shouldn't prove that much of an issue to push past, but that'll be the hangup if any, not Minnesota.

Make your Challenge Cup Finals matchup prediction, and justify your choices. Which of your two picks do you think will have a harder time getting there?

I am biased here, but i think in the East Minnesota can make it in the finals, but it definitely won't be a cake walk. However, Minnesota was one of he hottest teams in the east the last half of the season, making me feel we are hitting our stride at the perfect time. As for the West it is really a crap shoot, but since I almost signed in Winnipeg i would like to see them make it, as i think that would be a great head to head match-up.

I think Winnipeg has the tougher route only because all the West teams are strong and Calgary is always magical in the playoffs.

Quote:Originally posted by Zoone16@Nov 4 2017, 01:36 PM
[b]The elephant in the room in the East is New England missing the playoffs. Does this mark the end of an era for the Wolfpack? Is this symbolic of a declining New England team, or will they come back stronger next season, rendering this a fluke?

The Wolfpack missing the playoffs shows that other teams have finally caught up to them and exposed their poor line management. Even last season they ended up playing catch up hockey for most of the season before winning the East. This time around they left it too late to squeak in. More than a rebuild, this is a team that needs a retool and a direction for their coaching. They cannot afford to think that their depth will carry them as well as before as other teams are surging up in TPE and depth.

I expect them to be battling for 3rd-5th for the next few seasons before finally having to go through a proper rebuild.[/b]

interesting, I never stopped to think it may have been poor line management, but that would certainly help explain the struggles over the last few seasons. Totally agree though, they are still plenty deep and should remain competitive talent wise, but a shakeup in the lines/strategies could do the trick to get them back in the post-season dance next season.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

- Make your Challenge Cup Finals matchup prediction, and justify your choices. Which of your two picks do you think will have a harder time getting there?

It will probably be West Kendall vs Seattle in the finals, they are both on top of their conference so it's not an overly bold prediction. I think Seattle will have a more difficult time, even though they were dominant all season. The western conference just has better teams at the moment

Quote:Originally posted by karlssens@Nov 5 2017, 03:16 AM

interesting, I never stopped to think it may have been poor line management, but that would certainly help explain the struggles over the last few seasons. Totally agree though, they are still plenty deep and should remain competitive talent wise, but a shakeup in the lines/strategies could do the trick to get them back in the post-season dance next season.
I've been saying it was poor line management for a while. they did have Tanner for a short period that gave them a boost but this is a team that has been coasting by due to a conference full of mediocre at best teams. Last season, they barely made the playoffs and as their roster gets weaker, their weakness in coaching is showing quite clearly. There is no reason they should have missed the playoffs this season... to fall behind both Toronto and Buffalo is inexcusable with that roster.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

- Both of the series in the West are rematches from last year. What will have to change from the Jets and/or the Riot to prevent history from repeating itself this season? Which of these two teams, if either, has what it takes to pull off the series win, and why?

I think both of these teams have surged immensely since last playoffs. If their goalies can be shutdown over the course of their respective series, both forward lineups have high firepower and will be able to put up the goals necessary to take the series.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

New England...is this the end of an Era? Probably not. Despite having a down year in the East, New England’s roster is still strong despite some aging in their core.

This is a team that can and should still compete in the playoffs every season. Sure, the league may be getting younger around them but top end talent can keep up. Plus the future holds an opportunity to improve as well.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Vancouver will return to the SMJHL playoffs next season - it’s just in their DNA. Teddy is too good of a GM for that not to happen. They’ll need Montreal to resume their losing ways.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

- Make your Challenge Cup Finals matchup prediction, and justify your choices. Which of your two picks do you think will have a harder time getting there?

I think we will see a Toronto vs Seattle in the final. Both teams will have tough challenges ahead, but I think Toronto would it harder because their goaltender is on the brink of retirement.

- The elephant in the room in the East is New England missing the playoffs. Does this mark the end of an era for the Wolfpack? Is this symbolic of a declining New England team, or will they come back stronger next season, rendering this a fluke?

I think it is just a fluke. New England still has a solid roster, and some great young players like Spitfire, Green, and Fletcher. I think they just need another piece for their defense and they'll be right back at the top

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

- Both of the series in the West are rematches from last year. What will have to change from the Jets and/or the Riot to prevent history from repeating itself this season? Which of these two teams, if either, has what it takes to pull off the series win, and why?

Last year (as this year as well), the Jets offense was amazing. Especially the top line. The line of Visser, Evans, Pellegrino were pretty near tops in the league, if not the top point getting forward line.
Then the playoffs came. Visser scored a hat trick in the first game. Everything was great. But then that line got shut down. Line one was rendered ineffective on the score sheet. The 2nd line did the best they could, keeping every game to within 1 point...but that extra oomph was needed. So basically, The Jets need all lines to produce offensively to have a chance at taking down the defending champs.

I think both teams have what it takes to pull off the win this year. Riot have been a dominant force all season, as they finish well ahead of the league as a whole in wins and points. The Jets have won the season series against the Renegades, and when things are clicking their way, they can put up a lot of shots and a lot of goals. Goaltender Pel for the Renegades stood on her head last season, so hopefully she doesn't show up and destroy my feelings again.

- The elephant in the room in the East is New England missing the playoffs. Does this mark the end of an era for the Wolfpack? Is this symbolic of a declining New England team, or will they come back stronger next season, rendering this a fluke?

The Wolfpack are a resilient team. While this may be the end of an era, they will begin a new one soon. I haven't checked the sim, been too busy. They seem to be entering a space where they will need to fight for a playoff position, instead of being able to coast into them every season. This may be the kick in the nuts they need to boot them back into gear. It could always be worse though, they could rebrand with a stupid team name

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

Kelowna and Vancouver. Which of these two eliminated teams will be most likely to make the SMJHL playoffs next season, and what will it take for them to do it? Who will they have to bump out of the standings?

I don't believe either of them make it next season to be honest, but if I had to pick one it would be Vancouver. They had plenty of hits on their prospects, while Kelowna drafted plenty but only really hit on a few. Dude Love, Danny Mete, Howie Dewitt, Gabriel Wong, Joshua Woodcroft, and Dick Skillsedt are all going to be massive in s38.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Baelor Swift@Nov 5 2017, 05:46 AM

I've been saying it was poor line management for a while. they did have Tanner for a short period that gave them a boost but this is a team that has been coasting by due to a conference full of mediocre at best teams. Last season, they barely made the playoffs and as their roster gets weaker, their weakness in coaching is showing quite clearly. There is no reason they should have missed the playoffs this season... to fall behind both Toronto and Buffalo is inexcusable with that roster.
Is their roster all that great these days? I think they aren't quite as dominant as they were and the line combinations they typically use (where they can roll four unique lines of 800+ TPE players) don't fly since they don't have the depth to handle it.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]