Create Account

S67 PT #1: Media Mogul Due: September 25th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Hockey prompt:

I would say that nowadays most of my media consumption comes from twitter. That is where I get the bulk of my hockey news and updates and follow the teams I like. A few of the people I follow on there are indeed hockey writers and those would be guys like Murat Ates from The Athletic and Elliote Friedman, as well as some other dudes from local newspapers. I think that the media they release, especially the ones from Ates at The Athletic are pretty good and I don't have too many complaints. Sometimes I wish some of the local writers would leave their biases out of their reporting but I know that for the most part the more edgy their content, the more views and reads they will get so they have to be a bit more opinionated. That being said, I would also like it more if the writers would also ask the teams/management harder questions and let them feel the heat a little bit, question some of the questionable decision making and such a little more.

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

I used to follow hockey media a lot more a few years ago than I do nowadays. I'm not even quite sure what the reason is as I think the available content has actually gotten better in a lot of places, with more in-depth pieces being written as well as stuff that strikes a nice balance between opinion commentary and actual factual reporting, your Steve Dangles and what not. And yet my interest has dwindled if only through oversaturation. Hockey is great but it's also a bit weirdly balanced. A rather long period of almost half a year where pretty much nothing happens if, like me, you are a fan of a team that usually doesnt appear in the playoffs. And in the 6-8 months where there is action, there is soooo much of it, so many games by so many teams that the individual goal, or storyline becomes meaningless and gets drowned out because there is so much of it. For all the shit people give sports like soccer where there is "too little scoring" this is actually a strength of it because every game, every goal, actually matters a lot, is remembered by fans and pundits and can make or break your season. That makes the reporting about those things more meaningful as well.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

Seamus loves living in the spotlight. As a promotor for his bar he is used to getting up in front of a lot of people and just having to sell himself and his product. Just because you're young does not mean you can't get up there with the others. So when the team stopped by Seamus's locker to ask him to help do some media promotion, he was all over it. Seamus never thought life could get better a Battleborn until he started doing media again. As captain he was also roping in all the other players when possible. Going into his 4th season, Seamus really wants to be there to mentor these new kids and getting them used to the camera is a big deal. After all, they're all going to be stars so might as well get remembered for it. So every player has been involved, some more than others, but always just the right amount.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Slavakov is far too introverted to be a regular on all of the San Francisco Pride social media, but he does make an appearance every now and then. He doesn’t do any of the tiktok dances or any of the meme type of things, but he always enjoys doing a traditional interview because it gives him more of a chance to connect with the Pride fans. He definitely prefers to do group interviews because it allows some of the more extroverted players on the Pride to take the lead while he chimes in in the background. Some of his favorite players to go on Pride social media with are Kev Kevens, Rikard Bjerg, Sven Svenson, and Petr Svoboda, as they all love the spotlight and love the opportunity to speak to the fans. It’s certainly not Slavakov’s favorite part of being a hockey player, but he knows the social media aspect is important for the team and their long term relationship with the fans.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Hockey Prompt:

I don't consume a ton of hockey media in general, especially outside of the season. When I do get into hockey media, it's typically in the form of podcasts. I like the longer-form style of discussion and it leads me to getting a little bit more familiar with the players and organizations that are being discussed than if I were to watch highlights or check box scores. Content that is specific to the Blue Jackets is where I tend to gravitate when it's more in depth, but I like to get a better idea of what's going on with the league at large through youtube recaps and highlights.

One thing that I think hockey media is missing out on is the inclusion of the coaching and support staff. We live in a time when everyone has a social media presence, and the folks who support professional sports live very interesting lives with unique challenges that are interesting to the fans. Teams could show their ice maintenance crew as they're hard at work, post videos of equipment management stuff - it may not be the most riveting content for general interests, but there is absolutely a market for that type of thing.

oh I like these!

Hockey Prompt:

So, for me personally I think Hockey media needs to appeal to a bigger audience. I Feel that it is too generalized for everyone and then the content comes off as fluff or the content is overly specific and unless you're a hockey nerd, you don't understand the stats. I think the advanced stats when talked about in hockey in media are not explained very well, whether in a news media or on a television broadcast.

If I were to start a hockey media empire, I think the television personalities would probably be the most important part for me. Watching hockey games or listening to hockey information from people who are boring does not bring in viewers. I think for me, at least being an American, that you need people who are excited about the game and are able to translate that excitement both during games and outside of games. I also think mixing up the shows and having ways for players to be humanized (as seen in the other prompt) I also would think drive up interest and make people more interested in players and in their teams. Which to an extent is the whole point of media is to cover the sport as well as drive up the interest in the sport

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Hockey Prompt:

Sports media has always been a tricky realm to navigate, and hot takes and controversy will always rule the day at generating social media interaction. This can be all in good fun when keeping it at the team level (I'm looking at you, Toronto Maple Leafs playoff record), but there's been a really disturbing trend of digging into individual players' personal lives to analyze and overanalyze their individual performance, which at best can be an invasion of privacy, and at worst can be an incredibly hurtful and insensitive disregard for mental health and other personal issues a player may be facing. Players both past and present including Robin Lehner, Nick Boynton, Clint Malarchuk, and Tyler Motte been extremely vocal about their struggles, whether they came from addiction, depression, or other mental health issues caused by factors on and off the ice, but the reaction from the media has rarely been positive if the player's performance drops. Sports media has long since evolved beyond writeups about player statlines and cup predictions, but it hasn't evolved past the need to value the box score above all else, and it's time that sports culture begin to recognize that some things are more important than winning.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Hockey Prompt Written Task: I would say my favorite type of hockey media has to be television broadcasts. I am not a big fan of reading so I don’t really read to many articles. As a Canadian I am stuck watching my hockey broadcasts on Rogers as they has been the exclusive national television partner in Canada since the 2014-15 season. When you look to our neighbors down south and see American fans with competing networks and split rights, it made me dream of a time the hockey rights would be split in Canada. I hope the national broadcasts in the next NHL hockey deal would be split between Rogers and TSN as I think having competitive broadcasts will make sure Rogers does not become complacent and have competition to improve their product. Out of all the hockey commentators working with Rogers Kevin Bieksa has to be the best one. He is a star in the making and could be the NHL’s Charles Barkley.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Written Task:

I love hockey media, but that's probably because I don't consume very much of it.  I know advanced analytics get a lot of shit from other people, but honestly I really enjoy the statistics side of hockey media.  All the other drama is what I tend to dislike.  I could never be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan because their media is so drama thirsty its unreal.  But if someone were to just look at the average penis length of each team in the league and correlate it to some other statistic that would be awesome.  Imagine if the secret to winning hockey games was to get the most small dick players in one locker room.  Their internal hatred for their big dick brethren driving them to win games at the professional level.  Is there something there?  No probably not.  But would you read that article?  I know I would.  Thats the type of hard-hitting questions other journalists wouldn't dare to ask.

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

As a Bruins fan, a lot of my hockey content is surrounding the team. While Boston has some great writers, (Ty Anderson, Conor Ryan, Kevin Paul Dupont, and Lauren Campbell) there are also some writers who can be quite annoying (Joe Haggerty and the Boston Hockey Now crew). I really enjoy Anderson and Ryan cause they interact with fans throughout the season. Overall I think hockey media is in a good spot as you can tell a lot of people enjoy the sport that they are covering and are passionate about it. Compared to other sports I think hockey is in a much better place the sport overall just needs better marketing. I've also been able to develop friendships on social media from talking Bruins even though the community can be toxic at times. Overall, I think hockey media is in a good place, specifically regarding the Boston Bruins. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

sambam229  Knights

ISFL Affiliate PT

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

I'm a big fan of the coverage from The Athletic, especially writers like Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal. I wish that Corey Botchford was still around but he was gone far too young, unfortunately. Canadian sports media tend to flock to the Toronto Maple Leafs, which is annoying because Western Canadian teams get less representation, and don't get the respect that they deserve. Cue Dennis Rodman. Fantasy hockey write ups are also my jam around this time, as I get ready for the fantasy hockey draft, and see which players I should pick so I can finish last in my pool again. Such is life.

I need to figure out Hockey Twitter though, because that seemingly has a big role in breaking news, and if I want to be up to date on the latest trades, rumours and other hockey miscellanea, that seems to be the best source. Also, Bobby Margarita was awesome and I will miss him.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

[Image: icebucket.png]

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: zFnlslP.png]

Hockey Prompt:

Media in todays NHL is all over the place, specially in the last couple of years with the addition of the Athletic to the media market. Traditional sports media on TV has continued to air the same boring or 1 sided conversation, which is sad considering how other league like the NFL are doing a great job alongside with ESPN on producing better media, and fantasy relevant media.

When you go to social media this is really where you get two sides of the spectrum, you have your traditional beat writers which should have retired 20 years ago and don't understand todays game, or how it is played. Then you have guys like Jfresh who have some great analysis as well as presenting it in a refreshing way.

Ultimately The Athletic is the best thing to have happened to NHL coverage. They have great writers, great content, and evolving content to stay modern. I will stay an Athletic subscriber as long as I watch hockey.

160+

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]