Create Account

Raise salary cap pls

Quote:Originally posted by sarmo@Jan 22 2018, 01:33 PM
I disagree with having 2 jobs and having done a far share of media and having an shl contract but still having to grind out for equipment and weekly training seasonaly after being capped.

TBF Shl used to be less uptight and grindy in the past (before the evolution) now you even need more actives to fill out each roster.  I want some luxury dammit,  but i guess its just me, im just getting too old for this.
Agreed. Old update scale was perfect for it because it allowed semi actives to have a decent player and the hardcore guys like me got better more quickly and had better players for longer.

Should have let things go for a bit with the upgraded regression penalties before messing around with the scale. But the cat is out of the bag now and there isn't really any going back.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Jan 22 2018, 12:55 PM

Agreed. Old update scale was perfect for it because it allowed semi actives to have a decent player and the hardcore guys like me got better more quickly and had better players for longer.

Should have let things go for a bit with the upgraded regression penalties before messing around with the scale. But the cat is out of the bag now and there isn't really any going back.
I mean, there arent many actives left from back than either, discouraged, all retired early and gone. Even the media energy was more chit chatty fun and less uptight than it is now.

Just wishful thinking was why i brought this up though, good to see the league be as healthy as it is.

Doubt is a dream killer

The thing that I find funny is how much we try to model our little game off real life. There are a number of things like families, finances, reputation (Sure we have reputations, but this is the internet and we don't actually risk our own reputations), etc that aren't an influence on our SHL careers.

Do we have a lot of people taking minimums? Yes of course. That's been something going on long before I arrived on this site, and it's hardly a problem that needs addressing. It's also something that WILL NOT be changed by simply increasing the salary cap, because the players who do want more money will eat up that cap increase immediately. The majority of players will continue to use contract minimums, because the reason they take a contract minimum (generally) is to reduce their financial weight on the team regardless of the team's actual cap situation.

I've worked as a GM in some capacity since S32 now, and I've had no trouble dealing with contract requests. Most contract minimums that I've handed out started with a player saying "I'd like to take the minimum to help the team." That's great to hear of course, but I've also come back in conversations like that with "what is your SHL income like? what do you make other than contract money?", and I highly doubt I'm the only GM who does that. Because GMs take precautions like these during contract negotiations, I'd say the number of players who feel pressured to take minimum or are unhappy with their contract is quite small.

tl;dr people don't fight for bigger contracts cause they don't need live off them. most minimums I've had are player requested. GMs do lots of work behind the scenes to make sure their players are happy with their compensation. Raising salary cap only resolves an issue for a small percentage of SHL players.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Also, the argument that more $$$ in contracts = less media is kind of wonky. Less media would likely end up being a good thing when people aren't just churning out "6000" word articles full of copy/paste. I've tried to avoid relying on media for $, and I think there's a clear difference in the quality of an article I write for my player, and one I write for $$.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia