Create Account

S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame

Well, I had a pretty interesting path to the SHL. I was just a kid skating in Siberia dreaming of playing some big time hockey. Maybe you read an article written about me when I first made it to the SMJHL? It was about how I was training on the ice and this brown bear came onto the ice. I skated around it, avoiding it, and used it as a training tool. It kept coming after me for a long time before I finally shot the puck at it and it went away. My job before the SHL was to train for the SHL. I worked really hard at training to one day come here and play in this league. Other than that, every now and then I'd have to help my parents out on the potato farm which we then used to distill vodka. That was hard work as well, but I much preferred the hard work of playing hockey. Working in the fields was tough though, especially with how cold it could get in Siberia. Then when it got too cold, I'd help out distilling vodka. It was a great time for me to learn all about hard work and it made me even more determined to make it in the SHL to make money and having a job that I love to do every day.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

Matt met with a few classes in a high school in Tampa last week, as part of an event set up by a partnership between the Tampa Bay Barracuda organization and the neighboring schools in which the players held conferences to talk about their various jobs growing up, before they ever reached the SHL. While becoming a hockey player is much less popular than in his hometown back in Canada, Kholin still felt he could talk about what the kids could expect in the real world. The Barracuda player grew up in a small town in Ontario accustomed to labor jobs and that's where things started for him. He learned discipline when he needed to wake up at 4am every day to work for the local butcher. The guy taught him everything, from how to cut meat, all the different knives and how to take care of them. Matt lasted maybe six months with that job, it allowed him to work on all his hockey training later in the day and all that free time got him where he is today. Being a butcher can't really translate to the SHL, but he sure is a morning person now.

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

When I was a young boy, I never did the simple life things like working fast food. Instead, I took up a seasonal position with a local credit union. It was fairly simple. It's a small branch, and when people come in more than once a month you tend to get to know them. Of course, when your name is Aittokallio and you live in the Edmonton area, people tend to already know of you. I think the Credit Union wanted to take some advantage of this, and they did, a lot of accounts opened during my two summers there.

Overall, they were great experiences. I worked on understanding finances and how to manage everything we have. It's grown to be a major factor in my budgeting and managing of my money now. As much as I love my accountant, I love working closely with him to know where my money goes and I have direct supervision of what he's doing with it. I wouldn't know heads or tails of this without the work at the credit union and I'm forever grateful for it.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Denver Wolfe didn't have a paying job, unless you consider the strength, knowledge and just joy he received under the care of his parents. You see, his parents own a big farm up in Ireland, one of the biggest in the country even, and they produce a lot of the countries major resources, including veggies, milk and more. Because of this, while Wolfe did play hockey quite often, his main focus was to work on the farm and help around the farm with anything and everything his parents needed him to cover.

These skills taught Wolfe how to be humble, how to really cherish your roots, and how to make sure that family comes first and hard work pays off, something Wolfe lives by every single day of his life on and off the ice. While some people really question how his skills off the ice with farming and just doing everything for his family, a lot of this resulted in the work ethic he has today, it also helped him with just strength, conditioning and making sure to stick with something when he puts his mind to it.

I fondly remember my high school days as being filler. By that I mean it all seemed to go by so fast. If I wasn't doing schoolwork that was too easy because I liked school then I was traveling to play games with the little Flyers. My parents though they kept me grounded so in the offseason I worked for my uncle's landscaping company. First it was loading and unloading the mowers and of course washing them off after a long day of cutting but soon I got to help actually mow. It kept me in shape and busy not to mention the money wasn't too bad.

My parents always insisted I learn the value of a hard day's work because Hockey isn't forever and one bad day could be the end of a career. I make millions now, but I still think back to those days of cutting and mowing and weed wacking and it makes me respect blue collar workers just a little more. It helps me remember where I come from who knows after hockey, maybe a new gig.

Did you know that before Mikael Choybuk's days in the SHL, he used to wash dishes at a restaurant? Taking out the grease, cleaning floors, operating the dish pit.....these were things that Choybuk did on the regular. It is one of the reasons why Choybuk was so happy to become a Calgary Dragon, actually. He heard all the talk about chicken parmesans on the Dragons, and thought it would be the perfect fit for him. On his lunch breaks at the restaurant, the chefs would let him sneak into the kitchen and make his own chicken meals. Mikael was born to be a Dragon in that regard. One day, he actually really screwed up in the kitchen, and accidentally dumped all the grease from the deep fryer onto the floor. He almost got fired, but he put in the work to clean it all up. The chefs and rest of the staff gave him hell for it for a long time, and it's one of the reasons he is so disciplined and has such a good work ethic on in the SHL these days. He learned from those long, grimy days of washing dirty dishes. You might not think dish pits could help you in the SHL, but in fact, it did!

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

[Image: 2017-18-O-Pee-Chee-Hockey-Marquee-Rookie...o-Sang.jpg]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

ph

[Image: leblaVa.gif]
Shoutout to @adamantium for the sig! <3

http://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/i...entry99992

[Image: giphy.gif]

Martijn as a teenager while playing in the Swedish Hockey League began to work in order to make money to pay for new skates as his family wasn't historically wealthy growing up. His first job was as a Swedish meatball exporter for one of the factories in town but he had to quit after the first few weeks as eating all of the products was taking a toll on his body and cardio abilities. His next and last job before getting to Anaheim was as an Ikea furniture manual writer. He was fired after two weeks because the instructions he was writing were far too clear for Ikea's standards and he was quickly removed from the team. Despite their results, Martijn says he is thankful for the opportunity that those jobs granted. He learned a good work ethic and that the real world also wasn't for him, he was born to play hockey and much prefers his job in Chicago. He does miss the Swedish meatballs, but works with the Syndicate's nutritionist to ensure that he isn't surpassing his monthly limit.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

From as far back as he can remember, and all through his childhood, Delver Fudgeson remembers his life as an acrobat at the circus with his parents. He was part of a family act, and was always an extraordinary athletic talent. He was born with the ability, but was taught to work hard by his loving parents. Delver seemed to have been born for a life of athletics in the spotlight, and has always loved the crowd and environment around the entertainment industry. Many of the skills transfer over to his hockey playing career. Primarily the work ethic and poise to perform under the pressure of cheering fans. The "celebrity" lifestyle wasn't as apparent as a youth, but it was still there and probably helps Delver manage it as a prominent member of the Lethbridge Lions. Of course, a tragic "accident" (Delver has always suspected foul play) involving the deaths of both of his parents during a routine stunt put an end to Delver's acrobatic career at the age of 10. From then on, his billionaire adoptive father taught him to be a hockey player. Everything in Delver's life seems to have been pointing towards his current career.

Word Count: 201

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Before Professionally playing hockey all the jobs I had were just too fund playing hockey.When I was 14 I got my first job washing dishes at Denny’s on the weekends. It wasn’t fun or anything but I could Have been doing a lot worse.

That summer I started working at the boardwalk taking money from drunk people to play mini golf. I had a little scam with how they counted the money at the end of the day. So I made a dollar Off of every adult, not too shabby.

At 16 I got a job cleaning pools. The job was amazing. Most of the customers were old people that couldn’t do it themselves.But I was able to be outside all day every day vacuuming old people’s pools. That job paid for all of my hockey equipment for most of high school. Some of the creepy ones would even show up to my hockey games. A little weird, but you could always count on them for fundraising

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

Barrett Blackwood didn't really have a "job" in the sense that most people would normally consider before he was signed by the St. Louis Scarecrows. His parents expected him to not only get outstanding grades so that he could get into a good college, but he also had his fair share of chores at home. Coming from a small farm in Minnesota, his chores equated to work. He didn't get paid for it, because it was stuff that just needed doing. His parents couldn't run the farm by themselves, and they couldn't afford to pay a large amount of farm hands, so Barrett tried to do as much as he could with his free time. When he wasn't at school, doing homework, or at hockey practice, he was cleaning up the barn, helping take care of the animals or working on the farm equipment. How many professional athletes can say that they can also take apart the engine of a 1960s Alice-Chalmers tractor? Probably not many. Even less would actually be able to put it back together, but Barrett can. It is this kind of schedule that Barrett attributes to why he was able to become a professional hockey player. Outstanding time management and one hell of a work ethic made him one of the grittiest nose-to-the-grindstone type players currently in the league.

[Image: MrStennett08.gif]

Scarecrows Usa Blizzard Panthers Patriotes Stars

Growing up in Latvia is a whole different world than growing up here that is forsure. One thing I will say is that you guys have the whole world ahead of you guys and you guys have choices. My family was broke and I lived on a farm. I did not only live on a farm but I also worked on it.
It was a corn field, and we would turn it into an ice rink during the winter. Winters were pretty cold down there, so it worked out for me because I had access to the ice no matter what time.
But man, working on the corn field was a workout. I always thought of it as an off ice training. It was functional movement and it made me strong. it forced my body to adapt to different situations and not just plain movements like most people do at the gyms. The core twisting and turning, using different tools and muscles all at the same time.

It is an eye opener for most people. I know most people can not do it and wouldnt last long. But thats what builds the mental toughness you need to succeed.

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

PBE PT

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]